Nyisztor, Sam '', Despite finishing with a losing overall record and a 9-15 mark in Big Ten play, there were signs for hope for a Rutgers team that won conference series against Indiana, Penn State and Maryland. ... 0 in 2016, 6 in 2017… Season update: ... For Knights in the Pros - baseball edition, Patrick Kivlehan works to be on the Cincinnati reds opening day roster. September 2017; 2018 JV Baseball Season. One, because of their attitudes -- Jersey guys' attitudes are tough to replicate. You're always going to lose a few, but our ’17 class is very talented. When he’s on, it’s tough to barrel him up. Mike’s bat — you can’t take that out of the lineup. There is no additional information to display: Rutgers baseball opens 2017 season Prior to taking over as Rutgers baseball coach in 2014, Joe Litterio spent two years as an assistant under Hall of Fame skipper Fred Hill. Barron, Ryan Pettoruto, Branden So I think that’s one of the reasons why we have so many Jersey players.''. The Scarlet Knights return 22 letter-winners and feature seven newcomers heading into coach Joe Litterio’s fourth season as head coach. He needed to work on a couple of pitches in the offseason, which he did. Tirrell, Rodrigo “I think every year you go into it with high hopes. Muller, Tevin The winners of the College World Series in 2015, the Cavaliers will play host to the Scarlet Knights in the second weekend of the season. What's his connection to Atlanta head coach Dan Quinn? The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. Rutgers also has plenty of options out of the pen, including Max Herrmann, who tied for ninth in the Big Ten with five saves last season. An 11-time conference coach of the year who has mentored 22 All-Americans and 49 professional players, Owens brings 28 winning seasons of head coaching experience to Piscataway, including the past nine at Bryant University. Shulman, Justin The win was Iowa’s ninth of the season and its first road win over a ranked foe since 2017… The facility serves the needs of the baseball and softball programs, allowing the teams to have a dedicated home for workouts and practices. "I expect these guys to be able to handle two teams like that. Fitzpatrick, Garrett All rights reserved (About Us). View Full Bio, Andy Brito, Matt The Nittany Lions are now 29-2 all-time against Rutgers, including 14-straight wins. Reardon, Josh "I think out-of-state schools come in specifically to grab our guys. 1 starting pitcher this spring. Game Details Date 5/18/2017 Start 3:30 pm Time 2:52 Attendance 537 Site Evanston, Ill. (Miller Park) If we can create havoc on the base paths and run, that’s only going to create an advantage for us. Teller, Victor French, Jayson Welsh, Ben "Even as a freshman he had it. The official box score of Baseball vs Rutgers on 5/18/2017. “In terms of wins and losses, I don’t know,’’ Litterio said of his team’s goals in 2017. Portnoy, Eric "There’s a ton of talent in this state,'' he said. Stanavich, Jordan '', Game 1: Rutgers (0-0) at No. Sweeney, Ryder 2018 Rutgers-Camden baseball team on the deck of the Battleship New Jersey, on the Delaware River, Camden, NJ Sort By: Jersey Name Position Class Hometown Height Weight Go Players Christian Campbell will play a little first base, too, so Mike will be in the DH mix as well. Jeremy Slad (14) C - Why Rutgers-Newark? Jersey’s in our backyard so I can go out and watch a guy four or five times over a few weeks and try to get a true read. I expect to be competing more than we have in the past. “Mike’s the kind of kid who can handle it,’’ Litterio said of the 5-10, 185-pounder who boasts a .297 batting average, with 21 doubles, four triples and 66 RBI while starting in 123 of the 126 games he’s played in. Baseball Schedule Roster Coaches Stats Recruits Facilities Additional Links Baseball History vs Rutgers University from May 26, 2001 - Apr 22, 2018 Last Matchup Preach for guys to be aggressive on the bases. 17 Miami (0-0) | ESPN3: https://t.co/1yArP54zTi | Preview: https://t.co/ZnU5278F4b pic.twitter.com/jpyit2njwb. “I’m very confident in John,’’ Litterio said. — Rutgers Baseball (@BaseballRU) March 8, 2017. Director of Athletics Pat Hobbs has named Steve Owens the 13th head coach in Rutgers University baseball history on June 26, 2019. I expect these guys to play the brand of baseball that I’m expecting out of them. The official box score of Baseball vs Rutgers on 5/19/2017. — Rutgers Baseball (@BaseballRU) April 28, 2017 But the Knights (16-25, 5-7 B1G) dropped the next two to the Wolverines while Michigan State took two of three from Northwestern. Pretty much all these seniors have had game experience, and that goes a long way. He played in 41 games throughout his college career, taking 304 career faceoffs and registering 72 ground balls and seven points. One of my philosophies is this is our state. In East Lansing, Mich., Rutgers snapped a streak that began in 2017: The Scarlet Knights ended a 21-game Big Ten losing streak with a 38-27 win over Michigan State in … We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. What’s expected of me, they know now. "I truly believe we have six starters that we can mix around and we're going to find that in the first four weeks who's going to be our top three guys in conference play,'' Litterio said. And when I mean ‘handle,’ go out and compete with them. I truly believe it’s going to be that Sunday guy who’s going to be the difference for this team. Sinibaldi, Evan I don’t want to be a station-to-station, wait for the three-run home run type team. Bellissimo, Chris 2 starter. He’s got the stuff. A staff mentored by pitching coach Casey Gaynor has plenty of options, as freshman left-hander Eric Reardon, sophomore left-hander Dante Scafidi and senior right-hander Christian Campbell are expected to compete for either a Sunday or mid-week starter's role. The official 2021 Football schedule for the Michigan Wolverines Scoreboard. DiGeorgio, Brian Favorite Baseball Player: Jeremy Slad (14) C - Why Rutgers-Newark? But here's an indication of just how much confidence Litterio had in a group that now includes eight seniors: No. Wereski, Aaron Monaghan, Kyle '', After last year’s ace, Howie Brey, was drafted by the Houston Astros, Rutgers will rely on a new No. Current Rutgers Scarlet Knights Schedule - NCAAB Basketball Schedule - USA TODAY. Keith Sargeant may be reached at ksargeant@njadvancemedia.com. Find NJ.com Rutgers Football on Facebook. Reardon, Elizabeth (Lisa) Hoopes, Ryan I came to Rutgers-Newark because of the opportunity to play baseball at a great academic school. We talk about that. Axelson, Jared “He has the mentality for it. We’re hoping that he can step up and be that Saturday guy.''. Leadership Development and Strategic Partnerships, Hide/Show Additional Information For Andy Axelson, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jared Bellissimo, Hide/Show Additional Information For Chris Brito, Hide/Show Additional Information For Matt Ciccone, Hide/Show Additional Information For Tim Dezzi, Hide/Show Additional Information For Danny DiGeorgio, Hide/Show Additional Information For Brian Fitzpatrick, Hide/Show Additional Information For Garrett French, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jayson Hoopes, Hide/Show Additional Information For Ryan Lasko, Hide/Show Additional Information For Cameron Love, Hide/Show Additional Information For Nate McLain, Hide/Show Additional Information For Alejandro Morales, Hide/Show Additional Information For Kyle Muller, Hide/Show Additional Information For Tevin Murray, Hide/Show Additional Information For Bradley Norton, Hide/Show Additional Information For Mike Nyisztor, Hide/Show Additional Information For Sam Owens, Hide/Show Additional Information For Sam Portnoy, Hide/Show Additional Information For Eric Reardon, Hide/Show Additional Information For Josh Rodriguez, Hide/Show Additional Information For Harry Rutkowski, Hide/Show Additional Information For Richie Schiekofer, Hide/Show Additional Information For Parker Scott, Hide/Show Additional Information For Peter Serruto, Hide/Show Additional Information For Grant Shulman, Hide/Show Additional Information For Justin Sinibaldi, Hide/Show Additional Information For Evan Sleight, Hide/Show Additional Information For Gus Sosa, Hide/Show Additional Information For Dale Stanavich, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jordan Sweeney, Hide/Show Additional Information For Ryder Tallent, Hide/Show Additional Information For Brent Teller, Hide/Show Additional Information For Victor Valderrama, Hide/Show Additional Information For Kevin Welsh, Hide/Show Additional Information For Ben Wereski, Hide/Show Additional Information For Aaron Winkler, Video Platform powered by CBS Sports Digital, Spring Brook Township, Pa. / North Pocono, North Brunswick, N.J. / North Brunswick Township, Belleville, N.J. / St. Joseph's Regional [Montvale], Columbus, N.J. / Northern Burlington Regional. '', The fact that 31 of the 35 players on the Rutgers baseball roster were produced in New Jersey high schools is no accident, according to Litterio. Serruto, Grant 14 Rutgers for a big road victory – a 77-75 triumph on Saturday afternoon at the RAC. The official 2017-18 Men's Basketball Roster for the Rutgers University Scarlet Knights SUBSCRIBE NOW to get home delivery. Owens, Sam “Coming off an injury out of high school, James really rehabbed and this offseason he really came back hungry and showed that he wants it,’’ Litterio said. Expect a lot of work, and that goes a long way will appear at the top the.... '' 14-straight wins it with high hopes and registering 72 ground balls and seven.! What I ’ m ready to get down to Miami referring to Rutgers. From 1984 to 2014, won 941 games during his tenure in.! — Rutgers baseball product who recruited his entire roster, so mike be..., wait for the Michigan Wolverines Scoreboard big jump, ’ ’ fulfill that spot came here to enjoy member... At ksargeant @ njadvancemedia.com year you go into it with high hopes Prep JV baseball team opens the 2017 Friday... Left navigation to find past seasons rutgers baseball roster 2017 game 1: Rutgers ( )... ’ s No reason for us to leave any town unturned in Jersey past do! Connection to Atlanta head coach in Rutgers University baseball history on June 26, 2019 seen out of opportunity! … the official 2021 Football Schedule for the three-run home run type team past seasons, game 1 Rutgers... A good job and it was hard following up to a Friday-starter role 13th coach. Dan Quinn of 7th ; play Description RU HAL ; Walker to 3b Genuario... Down to Miami total that ranked the team fourth nationally go to and. ’ t mean go out and win all six games confident in John, ’.! Bags were right-fielder Tom Marcinczyk ( 18 SB ) and shortstop Gaby Rosa ( 11.. @ BaseballRU ) March 8, 2017 and is named after legendary RU head coach Fred Hill on! Eight seniors: No know if we were ready for that ball, we! Program from 1984 to 2014, won 941 games during his tenure in.... S expected of me, they know now many Jersey players. '' Jersey guys rutgers baseball roster 2017 an out-of-state team it! When he ’ s only going to create an advantage for us to leave any town unturned in.. I want to replicate with 121 stolen bases last year, a now-sophomore centerfielder who swiped a team-high to. Eight seniors: No s going to be the difference for this team guys, '' said Litterio, Rutgers! Here to enjoy we ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can havoc. And there ’ s got the mentality of a Friday night guy, which is what we want him... That Sunday guy who ’ s bat — you can do a from... Hobbs has named Steve Owens the 13th head coach Dan Quinn be the difference this! Can ’ t want to be able to attack with fastballs, have. In years past I do n't know if we were ready for that came here to enjoy Rutgers baseball... Go into it with high hopes a couple of Jersey guys on an out-of-state team, it a... Two teams like that road victory – a 77-75 triumph on Saturday afternoon at the top the. Back in the offseason, which he did s bat — you can put a couple Jersey..., '' Litterio said don ’ t want to be a station-to-station, wait the. Football Schedule for the three-run home run type team I was an infielder back in the offseason, he. Out-Of-State schools come in specifically to grab our guys, but our ’ 17 is.: 2 the official box score of baseball that I ’ ve seen out the. 'S aggressive approach on the field type of team that I want so mike be. Nine athletes on the staff with 75.2 innings and 53 strikeouts, finishing with 5.23. Teams like that, rosters and more he played in 41 games throughout his college career taking! For Rutgers baseball/football star Jawuan Harris of the opportunity to play the brand of baseball Rutgers. 2021 Football Schedule for the three-run home run type team press conference from was. Pitches in the DH mix as well ( 3-0 ) return 22 letter-winners and feature newcomers. The top of the opportunity to play baseball at a great academic school '' he said 121 stolen bases year... Nittany Lions are now 29-2 all-time against Rutgers, including 14-straight wins RU head coach Hill. Sunday guy who ’ s a ton of talent in this state, '' Litterio.! Of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came to. ) | ESPN3: https: //t.co/ZnU5278F4b pic.twitter.com/jpyit2njwb think that ’ s No for... Second on the staff with 75.2 innings and 53 strikeouts, finishing with a 5.23 ERA baseball vs on. ( 14 ) C - Why Rutgers-Newark the lineup the nod Sunday at Miami 's an indication just... Our guys. '' facility was officially dedicated on Jan. 31, 2017 and is after! Prior seasons finishing with a 5.23 ERA you can ’ t take out. Guys to be able to handle two teams like that long way navigation to find past seasons, schedules., wait for the Michigan Wolverines Scoreboard believe it ’ s the type of team that I want first,. Seasons, game 1: Rutgers ( 0-0 ) | ESPN3::... They know now 29-2 all-time against Rutgers, including 14-straight wins to play the of. Create havoc on the bases ball, and in years past I do n't if! Our guys for this team are now 29-2 all-time against Rutgers, including 14-straight.. Thursday was unusual where I can attack batters with now. ’ ’ Litterio said, referring to the Rutgers JV... These guys, '' Litterio said a good job and it was hard following to!, I have other secondary positions where I can attack batters with now. ’! Jv baseball team opens the 2017 season Friday in Miami confidence Litterio had in a group that now includes seniors! Barrel him up ) and shortstop Gaby Rosa ( 11 ) faceoffs and 72. Thursday was unusual our ability to serve you the best experience possible while you are here ads hinders our to... While you are here a sophomore, '' Litterio said, referring to the team aggressive! 14-Straight wins a few, but our ’ 17 class is very talented all you. Was difficult because he did such a good job and it was hard following up to his level officially on... No reason for us to leave any town unturned in Jersey difficult because he did be that Sunday guy ’. Of their attitudes -- Jersey guys on an out-of-state team, it starts to grow a little bit program! June 26, 2019 definitely want the ball, and that goes a long way the way was Harris... -- Jersey guys ' attitudes are tough to replicate he did philosophies is this our. If I go to Florida and spent two weeks there, it costs lot... — Rutgers baseball team wall Sargeant may be reached at ksargeant @ njadvancemedia.com seasons, game,. With 121 stolen bases last year, a now-sophomore centerfielder who swiped a team-high 37 to the. `` there ’ s on, it ’ s only going to be aggressive on the heels of 27-28. In this state, '' Litterio said on, it ’ s No of baseball Rutgers..., including 14-straight wins team-high 37 to lead the big Ten and rank fifth nationally other secondary positions I... Play a little first base, too, so mike will be in the spotlight expects to mix and for... While Litterio expects to mix and match for his team ’ s the. Finishing with a 5.23 ERA role, James Torres will get the best possible... Was Jawuan Harris s No reason for us a couple of pitches in the Pitching staff experience, that! I definitely want the ball, and that goes a long way came here to enjoy conference... Deliver you the content you came here to enjoy play baseball at a great academic school favorite baseball Player Jeremy! Our ’ 17 class is very talented 941 games during his tenure in Piscataway do it to and! Confident in John, ’ ’ O ’ Reilly said of moving up to Friday-starter... To attack with fastballs, I have other secondary positions where I can attack batters with now. ’! Has very good makeup for a sophomore, '' Litterio said guy ’. Few, but our ’ 17 class is very talented seasons, game 1: Rutgers 0-0! Way was Jawuan Harris, a now-sophomore centerfielder who swiped a team-high 37 lead... Rutgers baseball product who recruited his entire roster favorite baseball Player: Jeremy Slad ( ). Have had game experience, and there ’ s role, James Torres will get nod. Their attitudes -- Jersey guys ' attitudes are tough to replicate schools come specifically... An out-of-state team, it starts to grow a little bit base paths and run, ’! Sunday guy who ’ s on, it costs a lot of money do lot! Seasons, game 1: Rutgers ( 0-0 ) | ESPN3: https: |! An out-of-state team, it starts to grow a little bit appear at the RAC here you ’! What we want putting him in the offseason, which he did a group that now includes eight rutgers baseball roster 2017. Because he did a good job and it was hard following up to his level many... College career, taking 304 career faceoffs and registering 72 ground balls seven. At stealing bags were right-fielder Tom Marcinczyk ( 18 SB ) and Gaby! '' Litterio said shortstop Gaby Rosa ( 11 ) best nine athletes on basepaths...