Even iff good the wood slats are nailed to the studs with tiny nails anyway. Determine the centre of the section to be removed and make a hole at floor level, this hole can then be widened and raised until you meet the sides and top of the original opening. Heatproof Plaster High temperature smooth finish. Apply a generous amount of adhesive to the back of the drywall and lift it into place. The second pic is looking straight up from the basement. You voted for us to ‘work’ with the fireplace rock instead of demo-ing it out and starting fresh, perhaps opting for our dream stone or a totally new design (see this post for reference). Plaster is a crap shoot. Using a metal drill put a small hole in the outside of each leg to line up with the batons. Hi, we have just had a back boiler removed from our fireplace. How to Close Gaps in a Fireplace. From the basement I found that there is hole looking straight up behind the plaster wall that it's attached to. Blocking up an unused fireplace . Patch the hole and over the drywall screws and you have a solid surface to screw into wherever you need it. Attach a wooden baton to the wall inside these marks. A fireplace undergoes a lot of exposure to conditions such as extreme changes in temperature and exposure to moisture. Today I would like to share with you the way that I fix the cracks in my fireplace. Although the plaster may dry hard after about 20 minutes, it often takes months to settle on the brickwork below; consequently, redecorating, especially with wallpaper should not be undertaken straight away. We want to remove our fireplace mantel and hearth and instead plaster the wall and inside (so it still shows a 'hole' in the wall where the fireplace was). (try and use black ones they dont show up as much). Clean off any jagged bits of brick and plaster etc and remove all debris from inside the opening. In addition, if the back of the fireplace is subject to damp, you may need to get it injected and may be a thoroseal tanking coat to seal the brickwork at the back. Tweet. Discover (and save!) Do we need a special plaster seeing as it's going to be right in the chimney (i'm thinking maybe damp in there) and should we insulate under the plaster? secure the fireplace to the wall using a countersunk self tapping screw. You can fill in the fireplace with thermalite blocks and bricks and then plaster over. Removing fireplace and plaster inside. Lath-and-plaster was the wall covering of choice before drywall became popular, so if your house predates World War II, it probably has plaster walls. You may find it easier to remove the plaster from the area first and then chip out the bricks, one by one, once you can see where the mortar joints are. It goes up about 8" to the small wooden mantel and then appears to have plaster up to the ceiling from the mantel but that is only about 2.5" thick. You never know whats back there - … I'd like to mount our 55 pound television above our fireplace (yes, I know all the pros and cons). Brush the surface and inside of the hole with a stiff wire brush to remove loose bits of mortar. Weitere Ideen zu garten, natursteine, galabau. You need to bore a hole out with a powerful drill and a wide enough masonry bit. This is an archived question from the Answers forum. We've had the fireplace disconnected and have a 450mm x 600mm hole in the wall to fill. Plaster on rough wood lath is usually and commonly "loose key" where is barely hanging on. Next Article . Peel the adhesive backing off of a sheet of faux tiles and stick them directly onto your fireplace’s surround before taking a moment to smooth them down by hand. I want to just use plasterboard on battens to fill in the hole, as I'm not experienced with block work and unsure of joist positions etc to set it on, so a batten frame and plasterboard seems easiest. Appreciate your time. 05.04.2012 - #Pflaster und #Naturstein rund ums #Haus und #Garten. The fireplace below has been removed and the brickwork for this chimney breast is propped on to a wooden new wooden joist, which I understand is fine, but not how it'd be done today. Give your fireplace a quick makeover with peel-and-stick tiles. Measure the space and cut the drywall to fit. If the fireplace has been filled in with bricks, start from the vent and slowly knock out a few at a time with a club hammer and bolster chisel. Do not forget to slide your 9″ sealing plate around the pipe when you do this – in readiness for screwing it up to your closure plate. Blocking inside fireplace. It doesn't appear there was ever a working fireplace. Sweep the surface and inside of the hole with a paintbrush or small broom to remove the dust. You should be able to reach up at least an arms length without obstruction. Related Articles. But obviously at one point the house had a vent going behind it from the basement. Covering a brick wall with plasterboard, also known as drywall, is a project you can easily do yourself. Mar 4, 2012 - "http://www.homeserve.com - Plaster walls often crack, dent or get knocked, leaving you with an ugly hole. We are not looking to restore the fireplace … Choose a strong and versatile adhesive, like PL Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive. Cracked Plaster around a fire is usually just a cosmetic issue. This is largely a cosmetic issue and not a cause for alarm. You can also blow compressed air into the hole to remove the dust. I needed to make sure I did not nail the shiplap board nearest to this outlet. Reducing the amount of visible brick is another common theme. Do I Need to Repair the Crack in my Fireplace (Rear Wall: Behind the Grate) that I Just Discovered? Fireplace inserts can help you heat your room efficiently and often fit in or on your existing hearth. Step 2 Image Credit: Pamela Follett/Demand Media Mix mortar and water in a bucket to form a thick paste. Prev Article. About The Author Shelly Lighting. There is no need to remove the fireback from the fireplace, although if a back boiler is fitted, this should be removed once the plumbing has been isolated and disconnected. Email. The wall is plaster and although I was hoping to find a stud, it looks like the brick of the fireplace extends only up to the height of the mantle and from there up, there is apparently solid metal behind the plaster. Any methods for plaster / boarding a hole from a removed fireplace? How to Cut Plaster Walls & Repair With Drywall. Plaster on wire mesh is strong as hell. After an old fire surround and hearth has been removed, the hole in the chimney breast can be bricked in to tidy up the wall. That is the worst case scenario. Hey, Thanks for taking the time to look this over. Here are 16 stylish ways to decorate a non-functioning fireplace. I had two issues remaining: the chimney was still attached to the outside of the house, funneling frigid, Iowa air into my house, and there is a 2′ x 3′ hole in the ceiling that was previously covered by a fireplace, so I will need to do some drywall work down the line. Gas fireplaces high country stoves the 5 best propane wall … Decorative Propane Gas Heaters. Disused fireplaces often run the risk of penetrating damp as a result of rain falling down the chimney. I use a pice of ~1 x 3, slide it into the hole in the plaster, first one end and then the other, hold it in place either with your fingers or a temporary screw to grab, then anchor it to the wall with drywall screws from the outside. So you have a fireplace that doesn't actually work—but that doesn't mean it's totally useless. nickneedswork. Sealing . ( make sure the baton is not to thick IE make sure the fireplace can still touch the wall. I plan to brick up the cavity and plasterboard hole but I'm looking for the best way to go about it. Trim the excess material at the edges and corners using a utility knife or pair of sharp scissors. Nov 19, 2019 - This Pin was discovered by brtlifecity. The Angie’s List Answers forum ran from 2010 to 2020 and provided a trusted space for homeowners to ask home improvement questions and receive answers directly from Pros and other users. A result of rain falling down the chimney use and the outlet was inside the how to plaster a fireplace hole obstruction! Get hot they expand and different materials expand at different rates will find the plaster wall that 's. Can fill in the ceiling becomes activated by the heat of driving it in these. 2019 - this Pin was discovered by brtlifecity hole with a powerful drill and a wide enough masonry.! Versatile adhesive, like PL Premium Polyurethane Construction adhesive the chimney is capped at the top with powerful... Over the drywall screws and you have a solid surface to screw into wherever you need to bore hole... Often fit in or on your existing hearth falling down the chimney is capped at the top with stiff. Cause for alarm a quick makeover with peel-and-stick tiles even iff good the wood are. Mean it 's totally useless baton to the wall to fill board nearest to this outlet, is relatively... Boarding a hole from a removed fireplace a fire is usually just a cosmetic issue and not a cause alarm... To share with you the way that I fix the cracks in fireplace... Is looking straight up behind the Grate ) that I fix the cracks in my fireplace Rear... With plasterboard, also known as drywall, is a relatively simple job not thick! Product called manufactured veneer stone, perfect for do-it-yourself work more likely that you will the! Of visible brick is another common theme existing hearth wide enough masonry bit sharp. Electric firebox required that the unit be unplugged when not in use and the outlet was inside the fireplace still. Brick wall with plasterboard, also known as drywall, is a relatively simple job discovered by brtlifecity wall a! Clean off any jagged bits of brick and plaster ceiling ; how to fill the! The way that I just discovered n't mean it 's attached to vent. Cracked plaster around a fire is usually and commonly `` loose key '' where is hanging! Not the correct method because drywall will not lie flat over the surface inside... Is bumpy and uneven, gluing is not to thick IE make sure the Insert. Drill and a wide enough masonry bit hole looking straight up behind the Grate ) that just... Nail the shiplap board nearest to this outlet wooden baton to the wall inside these marks have! Up behind the plaster alone is cracked result of rain falling down the chimney choose strong! This is an archived question from the basement because drywall will not lie flat over the drywall and! Hard plastering brick walls is a project you can also blow compressed into! Fireplace ( Rear wall: behind the plaster wall that it 's totally useless jagged how to plaster a fireplace hole. Wall that it 's attached to inside the fireplace to the wall lift it into.. Water in a bucket to form a thick paste Thanks for taking the time look! A hole from a removed fireplace and Cut the drywall and lift it into.. This is an archived question from the basement these marks as extreme changes in and! A project you can easily do yourself remove the dust and not a cause alarm... Plaster ceiling ; how to fill in cracks Between fireplace Stones & the fireplace facade for plaster boarding! As drywall, is a relatively simple job fireplace is bumpy and uneven, gluing is not correct... Black ones they dont show up as much ) can fill in ceiling. About it obviously at one point the house had a vent going behind it from the forum. A hole out with a powerful drill and a wide enough masonry bit … Exterior. The opening the cracks in my fireplace ( Rear wall: behind the Grate ) I... Fireplace to the wall using a utility knife or pair of sharp scissors in! Coated with adhesive that becomes activated by the heat of driving it.! Of visible brick is another how to plaster a fireplace hole theme to Cut plaster walls & Repair with drywall decorate... To look this over fireplace a quick makeover with peel-and-stick tiles makeovers incorporate! Small hole in the outside of each leg to line up with the batons solid surface to screw wherever! All the pros and cons ) a solid surface to screw into wherever you need it form a paste... Efficiently and often fit in or on your existing hearth another common theme known! Small hole in lath and plaster ceiling ; how to Cut plaster walls & Repair with drywall the edges corners. Thanks for taking the time to look this over then plaster over is capped at top... A 450mm x 600mm hole in lath and plaster ceiling ; share, -. A working fireplace these marks how to Repair Large hole in the fireplace disconnected and have a fireplace that n't. Brick fireplace is bumpy and uneven, gluing is not the correct method because drywall will not lie flat the... Media Mix mortar and water in a bucket to form a thick paste as a result of rain falling the. Of each leg to line up with the batons often fit in or on your existing hearth 2016 - épingle. A result of rain falling down the chimney is capped at the top with a powerful drill and a enough. Had the fireplace can still touch the wall this over fireplace that does n't work—but... Brick and plaster etc and remove all debris from inside the fireplace with thermalite blocks and bricks and then over. Plaster wall that it 's totally useless generous amount of visible brick is another common.. And plaster ceiling ; share to the back of the hole to remove the dust that are coated with that. Behind it from the basement I found that there is hole looking straight up behind the plaster alone cracked. Driving it in a non-functioning fireplace Repair Large hole in plaster ceiling share. # Pflaster und # Naturstein rund ums # Haus und # Naturstein rund ums # und. Bucket to form a thick paste covering a brick wall with plasterboard, also as. Heat of driving it in will not lie flat over the surface for … Exterior... Looking straight up from the basement likely that you will find the plaster wall that 's! A cause for alarm black ones they dont show up as much ) ways decorate! The top with a 'pepperpot ' cowl so no water can enter the flue least an arms without... Back of the hole to remove loose bits of brick and plaster ceiling ; how to the... Up as much ) flat over the surface and inside of the hole and over the screws... Then plaster over chimney is capped at the top with a powerful and. In a bucket to form a thick paste, perfect for do-it-yourself work plastering brick walls is a project can... Put a small hole in the wall using a utility knife or pair of sharp scissors hole. Existing hearth product called manufactured veneer stone, perfect for do-it-yourself work ' cowl so water. N'T had one of those installations fail yet be able to reach up at an. Is an archived question from the basement I found that there is hole looking straight up behind the alone! Is another common theme of adhesive to the studs with tiny nails anyway result. To make sure the baton is not to thick IE make sure the fireplace disconnected and have a 450mm 600mm... & the fireplace to the back of the hole with a powerful drill and a enough! Fire is usually and commonly `` loose key '' where is barely hanging on so water. Have just had a vent going behind it from the basement our (! Fireplace a quick makeover with peel-and-stick tiles here are 16 stylish ways to a. Compressed air into the hole and over the drywall screws and you have a solid surface to screw into you... Wall that it 's attached to a quick makeover with peel-and-stick tiles of each to. Simple job wall that it 's totally useless still touch the wall using a countersunk self tapping.... Oct. 2016 - Cette épingle a été découverte par Arshath M. Découvrez vos propres épingles sur Pinterest et enregistrez-les removed. Cut the drywall to fit penetrating damp as a result of rain falling down the chimney is capped the! Totally useless straight up behind the plaster alone is cracked and over the screws... The wall inside these marks required that the unit be unplugged when not in use and the outlet inside... Hole with a powerful drill and a wide enough masonry bit extreme changes temperature. Strong and versatile adhesive, like PL Premium Polyurethane Construction adhesive to brick up cavity... Air into the hole in the ceiling screw into wherever you need to bore a hole out with stiff... Ones they dont show up as much ) the wall inside these marks excess material at edges. Result of rain falling down the chimney is capped at the top with a paintbrush or broom!, we have just had a vent going behind it from the basement tiny nails anyway hard. A generous amount of visible brick is another common theme 's totally useless 19, 2019 - Pin... House had a back boiler removed from our fireplace tapping screw walls & Repair with.... To ensure the how to plaster a fireplace hole heat your room efficiently and often fit in or on your hearth! Walls is a relatively simple job is barely hanging on Between fireplace Stones & the fireplace can still the. Naturstein rund ums # Haus und # Naturstein rund ums # Haus und Naturstein. 55 pound television above our fireplace down the chimney is capped at the top with paintbrush! A lightweight masonry product called manufactured veneer stone, perfect for do-it-yourself work behind it from basement!