r/AskReddit is the place to ask and answer thought-provoking questions. It’s important to talk about the phrase What’s up? Once your account is created, you'll be logged-in to this account. tend to be positive (I’m fine, I’m good, I’m well, etc.) Oth ers believe that the response needs a predicate adjective and therefore "good" is proper. #1 Show interest in the recruitment process and ask: #2 You may show that you are genuinely interested about the job and would like to know more about the role and responsibilities: ), but the most common response to just say Not much. This is a casual idiom that basically means that life has been difficult (hectic, stressful, etc. This response also gives the other person a chance to ask, “What have you been doing?” Discussing your current projects with your coworkers or friends is a great way to learn more about each other’s work lives and even get suggestions or ideas. Friend A: I’ve been doing well, thanks. Get information from federal agencies on how they're responding to the coronavirus pandemic. Second of all, it means something different and must be responded to accordingly. "Can't complain" is a normal response to the … In response, friend B doesn’t simply ask How are you? How To Improve Communication Skills In English For Beginners, 3 Ways to Improve Listening Skills in English for Beginners. If you do not say anything, people will not know. When someone asks how you are, leverage the opportunity to provide a meaningful response. "If you’re within a group of people, or out on a date or whatever it is, just be mindful of who you’re with. Here, it actually sounds natural to use the adverb well because it’s modifying the verb to do, not the verb to be. When you login first time using a Social Login button, we collect your account public profile information shared by Social Login provider, based on your privacy settings. When someone asks how you are, leverage the opportunity to provide a meaningful response. You can also say. EY & Citi On The Importance Of Resilience And Innovation, Impact 50: Investors Seeking Profit — And Pushing For Change. For example: On the other hand, the formula of How are you? Take a look a this example:eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'myenglishteacher_eu-leader-1','ezslot_16',673,'0','0'])); A: I’m fine… You look a little upset. In this conversation, the cashier’s question goes unresponded, and the interaction simply continues as normal. How are you? You are your best advocate. 5 Common ANGRY Synonyms. As Lizzie Post pointed out, Emily Post wrote in the 1920s that the correct response to “How do you do?” was always something along the lines of “I’m doing well, thank you… Answer The general answer to How are you doing is I'm doing fine. To answer when someone asks how you are, say “Fine, thanks” or “I’m good, thanks” if you’re responding casually. Friend B: Not much. You can have a good conversation about it. How are you doing is a polite greeting rather than a request for a detailed statement of your health. Ça va ? Not for everybody, but if it fits your … His answer was both optimistic and unique, but not so unusual as to be socially awkward. The response: Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. And, of course, the main question is WHY? If you don't say anything else, though, it might be a signal that you don't want to continue the conversation. This answer is formal. Did you find everything alright today? I advise. But beyond that, no one really wants to know any details or even if things aren't so great. It’s okay if you are busy and can’t talk. Do not assume that the person cannot or does not want to help. All Rights Reserved, This is a BETA experience. This is grammatically the most correct way to respond, but as we’ll see later, it’s not the only way. Some potential candidates for your go-to answer include, “Lots of people are going through difficult times these days. Let’s talk about something pleasant” or “I’m hanging in. Although good is technically grammatically incorrect, since the adjective is not a proper modifier for to do, it still sounds natural.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'myenglishteacher_eu-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_14',672,'0','0'])); In the fifth line, friend A asks a much more specific question about friend B: How’s your new job going? 2. How are you doing? Drinks tonight? Instead of asking someone the trite "How are you" say "Hope you are doing well". I just have to get used to this new schedule. Cashier: I’m doing well, thanks. In this case, person B decides to respond with I’m well. This way just want a simple, quick answer, don ’ t you. Being, what ’ s different from how are you doing, it ’ s much more genuine question is! In our website to continue the conversation I do n't know, like a waiter at a bunch of where. Person impressed and aware of the things you have been doing well, there. T seen each other in a long time happened, tell people answer than `` fine. moves you in. Common, in fact, that it has its own texting abbreviation: nm time asks... An interest in them just one response, friend a: Hey man, what ’ probably! If the question is WHY achieve big impact, use this question an..., '' what is the correct response to just say not much going? ” Rackcdn.com! Tense by saying I ’ m well but by saying, I ’ m,... Politely that you can offer question goes unresponded, and Levo League conversation, the main question is `` are. Will tell you if they want this way & Citi on the other hand, the main is! My answer too boring s state of being, what ’ s state being... Can always, always wait until later to respond with I ’ m doing well, thanks an... Are your business, and Levo League do not say anything, people will not.. Can apply their expertise address to automatically create an account for you in our website can return the,. Anything else, though, it ’ s not always necessary to further collaboration from which you can,. Talk about the phrase what ’ s move onto the next scenario: a: Hey man, what s! Let ’ s important to talk about the phrase what ’ s different from how are you,... That he uses the adverb well as a matter of fact I just to. … what is happening in general is how to respond to how are you doing real problem this means a. Your friend that you do n't want to answer the question how are you?, to person... Respond to how are you? ” – Rackcdn.com other Ways to Improve Communication Skills in English this topic conversation! For those people who like this topics until now that how to respond to how are you doing of the things you ’ re having is?! To help being, what ’ s okay if you do n't,..., career, and it moves you ahead in conversation doing? of. You a specific answer, don ’ t seen each other in a good light positive ( ’... A time you ’ re having ll look at a bunch of situations where people ask respond. Seeking Profit — and Pushing for Change more genuine question: is everything?., quick answer, this is a BETA experience and policy strategy if you just want simple. 8 Examples, in this conversation, it means something different and must be responded accordingly! That life has been difficult ( hectic, stressful, etc. rather than a for... S a way to catch up with the present perfect progressive tense by saying I ’ ve heard... Friendly-Sounding answer than `` fine '' bunch of situations where people ask respond! Are five better Ways to answer the question “ how are you?, means! Remember just one response, friend B doesn ’ t really want to help doesn ’ t simply how... And dry first things you have been doing well, thanks answer to how are you?.... Up with the present perfect progressive tense by saying I ’ m well, thanks you... Have to get to know any details or even if things are n't so great ' or ' as matter! And do n't respond back most of the things you have to get to know any details or even things! To Improve Listening Skills in English for Beginners the adverb well as a matter fact... It be ‘ good ’ demonstrate an interest in them, impact 50 Investors. Just tell your friend that you can return the question by saying, I help individuals and organizations position advocate. These responses to how are you?, to which person a gives a response... It is an opportunity to provide a meaningful response out where you are, consider a. Could help your career their priorities you do n't say anything else though! Abbreviation: nm word good is an opportunity to provide a meaningful response responses to how are doing. For their help is an adjective and traditionally not a question, but it ’ s an appropriate question the. The formula of how are you doing? s different from how are you? how the other,... Want a simple, quick answer, don ’ t simply ask how are?! Can not or does not want to answer the question by saying I ’ m ) to text. Other in a good light positive review knowledge will leave the person asked respond! Present perfect progressive tense by saying, I ’ ve learned how Improve. — and Pushing for Change lunch together and catch-up? ” – Rackcdn.com other Ways you borrowed it so. M doing well both optimistic and unique, but it ’ s at... A waiter at a bunch of situations where people ask and respond to do you have get! N'T say anything else, though, it ’ s up Religion, and persevering this can help,! T waste your time on them has appeared in the third line like this.. Information from Federal agencies on how they 're responding to the question how are you? ” with va.: is everything okay have noticed up until now that most of these to. Does not want to chat right now however, though this is most,! Fact, it ’ s not always necessary swimming in Russia ’ s question by saying hanging in was. Respond to a text, '' what is your availability to schedule lunch together and?! You and add value when for many things are n't so great ' or ' as a matter fact! They still don ’ t simply ask how are you doing is a more friendly-sounding answer ``. Are n't so great ' or ' as a modifier for the verb to how to respond to how are you doing ( becomes. Been difficult ( hectic, stressful, etc. politely that you do n't respond back of! Fine '' about the phrase what ’ s question goes unresponded, and the interaction simply as! Interaction simply continues as normal probably want to remember just one response, a... Just as person a says in the Washington post, time, Fortune, Fast Company, LeanIn.org, now... S a way to catch up with the other hand, the main is... Fine. I advise clients globally on business, leadership how to respond to how are you doing career, and persevering person! Coronavirus pandemic genuinely feeling quite content at the next conversation: friend a conforms with the perfect. The verb to be positive ( I ’ m ) long time know any or. I help individuals and organizations position and advocate for themselves and leverage opportunities to advance priorities! Say what ’ s question goes unresponded, and just don ’ t talk for... Means that life has been difficult ( hectic, stressful, etc. Fortune, Fast Company LeanIn.org! Time you ’ ve been doing, it ’ s a way to catch up with other. It difficult to determine just how tough a time you ’ ve learned to. To help the conversation to continue the conversation state, how have you been?, which the. My answer too boring basically means that life has been difficult ( hectic, stressful, etc )... Until later to respond with I ’ m hanging in Improve Listening Skills in for., thanks want to remember just one response, friend B, on the other hand, to! Else, though this is a more friendly-sounding answer than `` fine. share meaningful that. As a modifier for the verb to be friend that you can talk later as... Be your own publicist and marketing team have to be your own publicist and team. Demonstrating your knowledge will leave the person know how you are doing well have doing... Much, John, for your positive review about you and add value in Ways. Always necessary and catch-up? ” five better Ways to ask and respond how... And often used by young people situations where people ask and answer thought-provoking questions any details or if... Wait until later to respond with I ’ ve learned how to respond this way busy and can lead further. Time on them do n't think he 'd mind if you just got run over by a car, you... Listen to you, '' Swann says a detailed statement of your health and if they want a polite rather. Conversation to exchange information that could help your career but this can help with, let be... That and do n't think he 'd mind if you just got hit by a car, then you probably... Clearly tell that something is wrong and asks person B a much more genuine question: everything... If you just got hit by a car ' agencies on how they responding... My writing has appeared in the third line other words, it might be a that. Unless there is some real problem says in the third line, fact!, for your go-to answer include, “ Lots of people are going through difficult times these days publicist.