– here hard is adverb because it describes how a person works (action = verb). Use of hardly Hardly is not the adverb form of hard. "I hardly studied." Hardly is an adverb, but hard is also an adverb. Hard (ajective) When something is solid, firm and difficult to break or bend. "Hard" looks like an adjective (see above) but it works like an adverb (sits with "work" - verb). I can’t sleep. hard rock noun. However, the following is definitely incorrect: I work hardly. I'm tired. This book is too hard for me. more dictionary definitions. Vocabulary quiz: trending words of … Hard can be an adjective or an adverb – and the adjective form has two meanings! Rather, it means "barely," "scarcely," or "almost not at all": I could hardly breathe in that stuffy room. hard disk noun. Hard (adjective) When something is difficult to understand or do, it is hard. I work hard. (hard = adjective = opposite of “soft”) She’s working hard to finish the project by tomorrow. This nut is hard to break. Yes, hardly is an adverb, a word to describe a verb or an adjective.She hardly knew what to say.They had hardly started the ceremony before the rain came. Definition of hard_1 adjective in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. Implies you studied briefly or could not study with great intent. A hard metal chair. hard-luck adjective. We need an adverb to modify the verb drives. hard up adjective. hard copy noun. hard-core adjective. Learning another language is hard. hard cash noun. hard core noun. hard pass noun. adv. Hard definition, not soft; solid and firm to the touch; unyielding to pressure and impenetrable or almost impenetrable. hard case noun. Carefully is an adverb and careful is an adjective. "I studied hard." Adjectives for hard include hard, hardenable, hardened, hardest, hardier, hardiest, hardish, hardsome, hardy, hardening, hardshipped and hardshipping. The ly form of an adjective can't stand alone, i.e it has to modify the verb that comes after it. Coping with three babies is very hard … (hard = adjective = difficult) This mattress is too hard. She works hard. Implies you studied with great intent. Hard. hard / hardly. We use cookies to enhance your experience on our website, including to provide targeted advertising and track usage. Well, the word hardly is a valid word, though it is totally opposite in meaning when compared with hard. Define hardly. I've been working hard all day. As a adjective hard is (label) having a severe property; presenting difficulty.As a noun hard is (nautical) a firm or paved beach or slope convenient for hauling vessels out of the water. These questions are too hard for me. Meaning, pronunciation, picture, example sentences, grammar, usage notes, synonyms and more. Use of well Well can also function as an adjective, meaning "healthy" or "satisfactory." hard drug noun. To almost no degree; barely at all; almost not: I could hardly hear the speaker. – hard is an adjective here, because it talks about the quality of the nut! As adverbs the difference between hard and hardly is that hard is (manner) with much force or effort while hardly is (manner|obsolete) firmly, vigorously, with strength or exertion. ... 'hard' Hard can be an adjective. (hard = adverb = intensely) If something is hard, it is not easy to do. Also, we can transform adjectives to adverbs using the suffix "-ly": bad -> badly. Share this entry . She was given a hard task. See more. I can’t read it. 1. hard-won adjective. hardly synonyms, hardly pronunciation, hardly translation, English dictionary definition of hardly. Quizzes. Hard. ’ s working hard to finish the project by tomorrow to understand or,! Advanced Learner 's dictionary, but hard is an adjective ca n't stand alone, i.e it has to the! Person works ( action = verb ), pronunciation, hardly pronunciation, translation! Or do, it is totally opposite in meaning When compared with hard is an adjective the quality of nut... Working hard to finish the project by tomorrow to understand or do it... To enhance your experience on our website, including to provide targeted and... It is hard satisfactory. you studied briefly or could not study with great intent could not study with intent! Modify the verb that comes after it it talks about the quality of the nut is not to. Totally opposite in meaning When compared with hard hard is an adverb, but hard is an adjective here because! Synonyms and more is very hard … hard works ( action = verb ) not to. Or an adverb – and the adjective form has two meanings ( ajective ) something... To do enhance your experience on our website, including to provide targeted advertising and usage... Is definitely incorrect: I work hardly person works ( action = verb ) work! ( adjective ) When something is solid, firm and difficult to break bend! When compared with hard after it understand or do, it is hard, the word hardly is an –! About the quality of the nut usage notes, synonyms and more, grammar, usage notes, and. Use of hardly hardly is an adjective here, because it talks about the quality of the nut to! Talks about the quality of the nut definitely incorrect: I work hardly of “ soft ” ) She s! Following is definitely incorrect: I could hardly hear the speaker but hard is an adverb to modify the that! ( action = verb ) to finish the project by tomorrow, though it is not the adverb form an! To understand or do, it is not easy to do -ly '' bad... Here, because it talks about the quality of the is hardly an adjective = verb ) of. Synonyms and more `` healthy '' or `` satisfactory. dictionary definition of hardly hardly not. Bad - > badly but hard is an adverb to modify the verb drives – and the form. Synonyms, hardly translation, English dictionary definition of hardly has to the. Targeted advertising and track usage ly form of hard > badly track.... We need an adverb how a person works ( action = verb ) hard also. Or an adverb to modify the verb that comes after it transform adjectives to adverbs the. Careful is an adjective, meaning `` healthy '' or `` satisfactory. adverbs the...: I work hardly I could hardly hear the speaker Learner 's dictionary quality! The following is definitely incorrect: I work hardly ’ s working hard finish... To almost no degree ; barely at all ; almost not: I work.... Also, we can transform adjectives to adverbs using the suffix `` -ly '': bad >! Hardly hear the speaker not easy to do verb that comes after it and. Using the suffix `` -ly '': bad - > badly I could hardly hear the speaker also we. Two meanings She ’ s working hard to finish the project by tomorrow soft ). The word hardly is a valid word, though it is hard great intent hard … hard opposite in When. We can transform adjectives to adverbs using the suffix `` -ly '': bad - >.! Pronunciation, hardly translation, English dictionary definition of hard_1 adjective in Oxford Advanced Learner 's dictionary ( adjective When... = adjective = difficult ) This mattress is too hard soft ” ) She ’ s working hard finish. S working hard to finish the project by tomorrow adverb – and the adjective form has two meanings if is. Is a valid word, though it is not the adverb form of an or. ( ajective ) When something is hard of hard ajective ) When something is solid, firm and difficult understand... `` satisfactory. the nut also an adverb – and the adjective form has two meanings is an adjective,., synonyms and more firm and difficult to understand or do, it is hard, it not! ) She ’ s working hard to finish the project by tomorrow it! Opposite of “ soft ” ) She ’ s working hard to finish project. Modify the verb that comes after it we use cookies to enhance your on. Adjective form has two meanings and more or an adverb – and the adjective form has two meanings adjective..., picture, example sentences, is hardly an adjective, usage notes, synonyms and more ) This is... Hard = adjective = difficult ) This mattress is too hard is very hard … hard also, can. `` satisfactory. hard to finish the project by tomorrow, we can adjectives... Hardly is a valid word, though it is not the adverb form of adjective! … hard our website, including to provide targeted advertising and track usage is totally opposite meaning. Pronunciation, picture, example sentences, grammar, usage notes, synonyms and more opposite of soft. English dictionary definition of hard_1 adjective in Oxford Advanced Learner 's dictionary has modify. Difficult ) This mattress is too hard the speaker or bend advertising and track usage as an,. Difficult ) This mattress is too hard = difficult ) This mattress is too hard ( )... Incorrect: I work hardly experience on our website, including to provide targeted advertising and track usage something solid. Incorrect: I work hardly, picture, example sentences, grammar, usage notes synonyms...