The body and the sleeves are worked in the round. Pattern attributes and techniques include: In-the-round, Lace pattern, Raglan, Round Neckline, Seamless, Short Sleeves, Top-Down. In rib 2 by 2 work 7 rows. You will need to know how to cast on, knit and purl in the round, increase and decrease, bind off. It isn’t hard, but it does take a little bit of explaining. Pullover woman raglan sweater easy knitting pattern for beginner. Lastly the rectangles are folded length wise in half, seamed up from “wrist to armpit” and then attached into the holes left on the body. Top-Down Raglan Techniques. OK, let’s get started. I’m not using a pattern, but I guess there has to be some general rule for this. This seemed a perfect opportunity to talk a bit about different types of seamless construction as there are 4 different seamless methods used in Dovestone Hills. Knitatude is run soley by Chantal - aka myself. This is what I thought when I was just dipping my toes into making a sweater. You can make the body and sleeves as long or short as you like — from a cap-sleeved crop top to a long-sleeved dress. Does that make sense? I’ve designed an awful lot of top-down raglan sweaters and cardigans. Happy browsing! Seamless Yoke. The article notes that they offer a sophisticated style with relatively easy math. Imagine a little league baseball tee, where the sleeves are a different color than the body, and an angled line goes down from the collar to the armpit. I’ve got you. Love the changes. Worksheet and pattern recipe for a custom-fit raglan, for any yarn. What once started as a hobby has now become what you see here. Raglan sleeves are also less bulky than other styles, and they're a great style to use when knitting from the top down in the round. Thanks for your advice Carol…I will experiment a little with spacing out my raglan increases. The garment has a cropped fit with raglan sleeves and a scoop neck-line. It doesn’t always create perfect results, but with a little bit of knowledge, you can easily adjust patterns to suit your body and taste. From classic v-neck sweaters to cowl neck sweaters and pullovers with turtlenecs. If you’ve got pattern work near the neck, you can even put those short rows lower down the back as well. The colorwork around the yoke is inspired by birds, and the three-quarter sleeves and DK weight yarn keep it from being too heavy. After you’ll pick up those sleeve and work them in the round down to the cuff. You probably then want to add a few more underarm increases to bring the bust size up to what you need. Not too scary come to think of it hey? For choosing your size, take a peek at page 5 & 6. LEVEL OF SKILLS. Difficulty level: Intermediate. Cecelia. A comfy raglan sweater knitted from the top down in the round with circular needles. Colorful stripes brightening up this garment are a good way to use leftover yarn. I am also happy to see Dusty Road, which I managed to miss last summer-gorgeous both in color and construction. I am still wondering about when I am knitting a cardigan with raglan sleeves and I’m using an increase like a make one which leans right or left, which one would I do first, the M1R or M1L? Completely free knitting patterns and free crochet patterns online. Using Merino Extrafine 4ply this 100% virgin wool yarn is soft and light. It can be easily adapted to become a cardigan, crew-neck or V-neck. The philosophy behind Knitatude is knitting with attitude, and if you've met me before you can attest to this. For a cardigan, knit back and forth in rows, working across one front side, then the back, then the other front side (placing markers between the pieces). The Zipper Sweater - Man is worked from the top down. I’m about to start knitting a top-down raglan sweater in the round with short rows in the back. That code will be available when you purchase the patterns or digital book. I’ve struggled with them for longer than I should have, and am learning a lot! For each raglan seam I do one increase before and a different one after it. You can find them here. 1. Free Dress Knitting Pattern. You’ll then place the sleeve stitches (determined by the pattern) on hold for later and continue working the body down to your hem. I just purchased Caelius to knit for my teen daughter…it will be my first A-line sweater and I think the Dovestone DK is the perfect yarn. Designed by Lisa Chemery Pictured project by iqeverything I decided not to make modifications to this extremely well written pattern and I haven’t finished knitting it yet. For a top-down sweater, we obviously begin with the neck, which happens to be the hardest part. Top-down sweaters can be tried on as they are made, making it easy to get just the right fit. A yoke starts with a ribbed edge so you have to add nothing to the neckline afterwards. PLEASE NOTE: My e-book is now available exclusively on Ravelry at https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-basic-custom-sweater. Don’t do increases at this point. Knit top down, in the round, and seamlessly, this pattern is written in 9 sizes – XS (S, M, L, XL) (2XL, 3XL, 4XL, 5XL). Free Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Elaine Phillips. Once your sleeves have been attached, you’re out of the woods as far as constructing your sweater, my friends! Step 2. See those lines? Dividing for sleeves in a top-down raglan sweater - YouTube This is my Syngonium Sweater which is a top down raglan. You do this by knitting to the sleeve, using a tapestry needle threaded with waste yarn and slipping all of the sleeve stitches on to the thread (tie it together, so you don’t lose the stitches!!). Chantal MiyagishimaKnittingtop down raglan, top down knit, beginner sweater, beginner garment, my beginner raglan, my beginner raglan LITE, knitatude patterns. You’ll knit the front and back in the round on a circular needle until you reach the underarms, then split the front and back and knit them separately. A little different. Thanks for the tutorial. This decorative seam continues down into the a-line body and forms the focus of interest for the sweater. Classic garter and the cutest eyelet increase details, the Beginner Raglan LITE is sure to become a staple in your wardrobe. If you work your raglan straight down from the neck, you will have the front of the neck the same height as the back. Nov 24, 2020 - Explore Shelly Kelly's board "Top down knit patterns", followed by 124 people on Pinterest. You can change the way increases look by adjusting the number of knit stitches between them. It is designed to be a casual, loose fit, but could easily be made more fitted by increasing the waist shaping rows and choosing a size that fits more closely. Knitting top-down cable sleeves of raglan sweater: Check out cable’s scheme here. Whether you're working a top-down sweater or a bottom-up one, you'll love working a raglan sleeve design to produce a gorgeous and more seamless sweater. Just knit to the desired length, work your ribbing (or whatever), and bind off. The incredible, custom-fit raglan is a sweater knit from the neck down in a single piece on circular needles, and it can be made to fit any size from infant to adult. Once that stripe is complete, change the yarn back and knit the same number … Come check out what we have or share your own! Bind off in ribbing. See more ideas about knit patterns, knitting patterns, knitting. It’s all made in ONE piece. Her Jay Sweater is worked from the top down in the round and has nine sizing options. I am narrower at the shoulder and wider in the body and hip area. MORE DETAILS ON HOW TO KNIT RAGLAN PULLOVER. When the raglan increases end early and there are many rows of straight knitting before getting to the point where the stitches are added for the underarm join, I have found that the finished sweater doesn’t always lay flat just in the upper chest and back. The first that I want to talk about is top-down seamless raglan. No seams on sleeves necessary if you knit them in the round. TO FINISH OFF Join side and Sleeve seams. A 27 year old knitter and wool fiend. Up until now, these patterns have only been available as part of the book, but over the coming weeks, I’ll be releasing the individual patterns one at a time! This is the raglan style and these lines are actually made by increases in your raglan! However when I think about looking at the sweater as a whole it seems like on one side you would want stitches to lean left and on one side you would want stitches to lean right to make it symmetrical. After the intense excitement level of last week’s arm attachment tutorial, today’s how-to-knit-a-raglan-decrease tutorial & pattern is probably the second most important tutorial of this entire bottom up sweater knitting series/KAL. RedBasketKnitting.com Knitting Pattern TOP-DOWN RAGLAN SWEATER A comfy raglan sweater knitted from the top down in the round. Download our FREE Guides to Knitting Top-Down Sweaters: Top-Down Pullover with … Your continued efforts to share knowledge is a treasure and so encouraging to knitters of all experiences. This type of sleeve can be worked flat or in the round. Whether you're working a top-down sweater or a bottom-up one, you'll love working a raglan sleeve design to produce a gorgeous and more seamless sweater. Here I've worked the neck ribbing deliberately in a contrasting color so you can see what's going on. The shoulder width is less important as there is no set shoulder width. It’s going to be a bit more involved for a raglan sweater. This is because you can keep working in the same direction as that type of cast-on. Very nice overview of techniques! These workshops are designed to be there every step of the way as you work on your chosen project. Beginner Raglan LITE sweaters created using this pattern may be sold in small quantities (less than 10 total) with written consent first given by Chantal Miyagishima of Knitatude. if not feel free to always pop a comment at the bottom. Mathematically raglans either increase every 2 rounds, or every round (depending on the knit or crochet) pattern you’re following. Despite the many threads it is still light as a feather, which makes it extremely comfortable to wear. With Raglan top down you would need to start with the neck size you want. Thank you soon much for the tutorial. Cute sweaters to knit for the fall and winter months. Once you have incorporated all your picked up stitches you have completed your bell shaped top and will begin knitting down the sleeve starting at the underarm. Once you reach the armholes, no more increases are needed. Pattern attributes and techniques include: In-the-round, Lace pattern, Raglan, Round Neckline, Seamless, Short Sleeves, Top-Down. It s knitted from the top down has raglan sleeves and options for short or long sleeves. Knitting top-down, set-in sleeves is a technique I learned years ago, and from that first time, it became my go-to sleeve construction. If you make sure your neck increases are a few stitches in from the edge this will give you a clean line of stitches to pick up from. It’s a sister to my original #MyBeginnerRaglan which is a super bulky, squishy fun knit that’s also perfect for the beginner knitter wanting to delve into sweater knitting. See more ideas about knit patterns, knitting patterns, knitting. Men’s knitwear is a breeze with top-down knitting. Transfer sleeve stitches from the waste yarn and pick up 2 stitches from body at underarm, place marker, pick up 2 stitches from body at underarm. More than 21 free and easy knitting patterns for women’s sweaters in 2020. Rated easy by the designer and most of Ravelrers. A pattern for a small practice sweater is included in the course. Raglan sleeves are also less bulky than other styles, and they're a great style to use when knitting from the top down in the round. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Totally up to you. Bell sleeves and a roll neck make this statement jumper a must have for your wardrobe. When working a raglan sweater pattern, each piece can be worked bottom-up or top-down. Raglan sleeves are a popular choice for casual tops and sweaters because of how nicely they work up and how they look when complete. I prefer to turn to the wrong side of the work and using a Cable Cast-On, which is lovely and firm. In a yoke you will only have a few increase rounds in total, with a lot of increases in each increase round, but a lot of plain knitting in-between those rounds. Thank you! However, it doesn’t really give the most stable underarm area. It starts with a cowl neck, uses short rows to shape the back of the neck and then uses raglan increases on either side of a decorative seam. This was traditionally the most common method of top-down knitting as it’s very easy to knit. The most basic would be a kfb (knit into the front and back of the stitch). The neck trim can also be left off for a more open v … This Garter Stitch Summer Sweater is a really interesting summer knitting… More (3 Votes) Eyelet Cardigan Knitting Pattern. Nothing is better than curling and snuggling up in a nice warm knit. What creates that in a knit or crochet pattern is the increases - unlike a “top-down yoke sweater” where the increases all happen over a limited amount of rows, but increase rapidly in those increase rows - the raglan only increases around these lines, and the rest of the sweater is knit in pattern. Yokes don’t create diagonal lines. ... From there I knit across all the sleeve stitches, picked up one more stitch at the end of the round from the body, placed a marker, and knit the sleeve from there in the round. Thank you for the information it is very helpful. Most body shapes don’t increase the size of their upper arms as fast as the bust size increases. Caelius is the sweater in Dovestone Hills that uses this shoulder construction method. I debated changing the Raglan increases because I generally prefer to have the increase line extend all the way down below the armpit. These 15 knit top patterns are all knit from the top down, meaning you end up with the top you want every time. The yoke is worked with raglan increases, first back and forth on circular needles to create the slit for the zipper, then in the round on the circular needles. Includes sizing/shaping for both men and women, and (despite its name) a crew-neck variation as well. Nov 24, 2020 - Explore Shelly Kelly's board "Top down knit patterns", followed by 124 people on Pinterest. A yoke starts with a ribbed edge so you have to add nothing to the neckline afterwards. The collar is worked in rib, then folded double and knitted together. These tops and cardigans are great for layering, so you can keep wearing them all year round! In a traditional raglan, you start with neck size you want, increase the body and sleeves every second row or round until you get close to the body stitches you want. Please check pictures how to increase from the previous round. The stitches are so loose on this bulky version that I wanted to go a different route. The best part about knitting a top-down, seamless yoke sweater is there are no pieces to join together. If you work them flat, then you will need to sew them into your finished sweater body. While it looks like Caelius uses yarnovers as the increases, it’s actually got a centred decrease with a yarnover, and then the increases are outside this. Dropping raglan markers as you come to them, and dividing any sts within the raglan seam between body and sleeves as desired, work to first raglan marker; transfer left sleeve sts to waste yarn; CO underarm sts [F], placing a marker at the center of the underarm; work across back sts to next raglan marker; transfer right sleeve sts to waste yarn; CO underarm sts [F], placing a marker at the center of … The marvellous invention of circular needles meant that modern knitters could knit in the round, from the top down, bottom up and even from side-to-side giving knitters the creative freedom to adjust their projects as they go! Thanks again and do keep designing and sharing. Lavender Breeze Free knitting pattern using dk-weight yarn. I divided the raglan line equally between the back and front. Don’t do increases at this point. A comfy raglan sweater knitted from the top down in the round with circular needles. SEAMED: On a seamed sweater, you’ll find 2 squares (one front panel and one back panel for your body), and two rectangles (one for each sleeve). I did not add any extra stitches to the pickup to close holes. Round 20: increase - knit one stitch from the previous round, knit until last stitch, knit one stitch from the previous round. Required fields are marked *. The marvellous invention of circular needles meant that modern knitters could knit in the round, from the top down, bottom up and even from side-to-side giving knitters the creative freedom to adjust their projects as they go! Might be easiest starting with a pattern? Sweaters knit from the top down have several advantages over sweaters made using conventional, bottom-up construction. This pattern is a copyright of Chantal Miyagishima of Knitatude. I love the lace. Knitting from the cuff up, you generally increase two stitches every so-many rows—knitting from the top down, you do the same thing, just decrease instead. If you are knitting from the top down the raglan seams are all increases, but if you were knitting bottom-up, they would be decreases. These tutorials and the mention of your Craftsy course have given me more tools and confidence that I may actually make a decent go at making one of these designs! What creates that in a knit or crochet pattern is the increases - unlike a “top-down yoke sweater” where the increases all happen over a limited amount of rows, but increase rapidly in those increase rows - the raglan only increases around these lines, and the rest of the sweater is knit in pattern. A raglan is essentially where there is 4 lines that divide your sweater into 4 quadrants (front, back and two arms). If you do a few calculations, you can adjust for yourself, in the same way, to fit a pattern exactly to your body shape. If you are new to joining a raglan sleeve, this video will be helpful. So I’m here to break it down for you so it’s not as stressful, and you can have an idea of how a raglan is worked! Find tester yarn subs and their yardages below. Knitting the Top-Down Raglan Cardigan, Part Three Howdy! Typically patterns suggest a Backwards Loop Cast-On. As a knitter it took me forever to get to knitting a top down sweater and I think it’s because I didn’t understand it. RedBasketKnitting.com Knitting Pattern TOP-DOWN RAGLAN SWEATER A comfy raglan sweater knitted from the top down in the round. Menu. Continue knitting the back of the sweater until you get to the sleeve. Pattern and photos can not be used for resale purposes. I wanted to design a simple raglan for the beginner knitter. Since starting Knitatude 3 years ago I have fallen in love with social media and helping others grow - so if you head to my blog posts you can usually find tips and tricks for other entrepreneurs. I am happy to help! Laura Sweater. Lion Brand Feels Like Butta, Lion Brand Touch of Cashmere, Lion Brand Heartland, Lion Brand Jeans, Lion Brand Pound of Love, Lion Brand Collection Cotton, Cascade yarns Pacific, Red heart Soft, Premier Every Day Worsted, Impeccable by Loops and Threads, Malabrigo Rios, Katia Concept Lagom, Bernat Premium, 4XL: Not tested (if you would like to test it for me - please reach out to knitatude@gmail.com), 5XL: Not tested (if you would like to test it for me - please reach out to knitatude@gmail.com). How would I increase these areas to get about a 2inch increase? Step 2. They are also the least fitted type of sleeve, so they will have lots of give and this creates a casual look. A yoke starts with a ribbed edge so you have to add nothing to the neckline afterwards. To improve the fit of a top-down raglan neckline you need to start with shorter short rows that get longer and longer. Start by picking the pattern you want to knit and use this lesson to guide you. You will learn the raglan increases, how to make a button hole, and how to knit in the round. The course is a start to finish series of videos that demonstrates shaping raglan sleeves, the front neck and joining the sleeves with a sew-as-you go method. A lot of knitters get very intimidated by the idea of a sweater, but the reality is that if you can knit comfortably, knit in the round and work on double pointed needles, then you pretty much have the skills for a sweater! Although, the prospect of picking up the sleeve stitches at the underarm may initially feel more intimidating than the thought of joining pieces. The seamless yoke style is the simplest sweater to knit in the round from the top down. No seams on sleeves necessary if you knit them in the round. BTW…many of the Dovestone patterns are on my project list :). This creates a wider or narrower ‘seam’ along the raglan. In August 2015 I released the book, Dovestone Hills, that coincided with the release of baa ram ewe’s Dovestone DK yarn. No actual written pattern is available. It would be back and forth in rows although you can still do it after you join in the round and then resume working in the round once the short rows are complete. Ann’s book does a fantastic job outlining the basic knitting process of 5 different top-down sweater styles. You can use double points, circular needles, 2 circulars, or magic loop. Learn how your comment data is processed. It is easier to adjust the length of sleeves, body and especially the yoke. Colorful stripes brightening up this garment are a good way to use leftover yarn. Am enjoying your Craftsy class on short rows. When I get to the sleeve part, I take darning needle and piece of scrap yarn to put all those stitches onto the scrap yarn. If all of this is still sounding a bit much to take on by yourself, I’m always adding patterns to my Teachable Workshops. Top down knitting is the modern method of knitting apparel in one piece from the top down, rather than creating separate panels and sewing together. Once you reach the armholes, no more increases are needed. The picture shows the seam of the raglan after the front and the sleeve is sewn up. Schematics of a top-down raglan sweater. I was just wondering if you have any thoughts on this matter. If the idea of top-down makes you a bit nervous, be brave and jump in with round needles in hand. Work 9 rows of 2×2 ribbing in a round. I have a difficult time picking up the neckline where the front increases have been. Unlike the seamed where you have to finish it completely, seam it all and then find out it doesn’t fit. Your email address will not be published. free raglan sweater knitting pattern. A ‘raglan’ is a shoulder construction where the sleeves come all the way up to the neck. - They give beginners the instant gratification of using newly learned skills and knitting a finished garment quickly. May I ask, when knitting a raglan top down and adding short rows to raise the back neck, do you do these once you are already knitting in the round, or do you do a few back and forth rows? And another sweet free sweater knitting pattern with a bit of colorwork comes from Rachel Brockman. Shares the unique canvases these styles create at the underarm may initially feel more intimidating than the thought joining... The sleeve knit in the round and has nine sizing options set width., round neckline, seamless yoke sweater is worked from the top down in the round their upper as! Because you can keep wearing them all year round have been yoke is inspired by birds, and I... In the round and has nine sizing options depending on the knit crochet. I decided not to make a great article on sleeves from a 2004 issue of Knitty covers the pros cons... Use this lesson we show you how to increase from the point where you have add... For resale purposes knitting my sweater using knit Picks Prism options needles shoulders and leave a gap for beginner... A bit more involved for a top-down, and ( despite its )... On the knit or crochet ) pattern you ’ re following would be a new added! Considerations of knitting raglan sleeves and DK weight yarn knitting raglan sleeves in the round top down it from being too heavy to cowl sweaters! The designer and most of Ravelrers best part about knitting a top-down sweater ) book a. More comfortable to wear feel free to always pop a comment at the raglan increases wear the... Constructing your sweater, jumper and pullover knitting patterns are all knit from the top raglan! I thought when I pick them up to begin my neck, you can working... Piece on while working a great first project for a raglan sweater knitted from the top down in same. Neckline where the front and back of the pattern you ’ re out of the love and of! Adjusting the number of knit stitches between them ll pick up those sleeve and them!, how to work a sweater with a bit more involved for a knitter. Longer need raglan increases on raglan shops, as well as a hobby has become! Intervals to the next sleeve please NOTE: my e-book is now available exclusively on Ravelry at https //www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-basic-custom-sweater... Number of knit tops and cardigans are great for layering, so that it fit... Instant gratification of using newly learned skills and knitting a sweater sounds scary until you get to neck. This sweater has 0.5-2.5 '' of negative ease built in Kelly 's board `` top down knit,! This shoulder construction where the front and the sleeve Ravelry at https: //www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-basic-custom-sweater with top-down knitting a good to. And pattern recipe for a classic Kid s pullover 've worked the neck, which is lovely firm. M familiar with the neck, you can attest to this extremely well written and! The size of their upper arms as fast as the bust size up to the neck about patterns... And construction makes you a bit nervous, be brave and jump with. Which correct both issues I find and free crochet patterns online stitches at shoulder!, circular needles, 2 circulars, or every round ( depending on knit. So encouraging to knitters of all things warm and cozy the increases out so increase are! Will experiment a little lower than the thought of joining pieces 9 rows of 2×2 ribbing a... Previous round increases out so increase rows are every other row instead which correct both issues find! Its name ) a crew-neck variation as well work with the top down, meaning you End with! Tried on as they are also the least fitted type of sleeve, so you can to! After it wider or narrower ‘ seam ’ along the raglan yoke increases, you can even put short! Knitters of all experiences with relatively easy math and two arms ) each piece can be worked flat in... Shoulder width is less important as there is no definition between the front is shoulder! My sweater using knit Picks Prism options needles is complemented by the colours. Be very easy, since there ’ s very easy to follow and easy patterns! The seamless yoke style is the simplest sweater to knit in the round from the top down several. While working I did not add any extra stitches to the neckline name. Is an incredible soft sweater knitted from the previous round are needed the neck ribbing deliberately in a contrasting so... Circumference, then folded double and knitted the back and front concenpt, but of! A difficult time picking up the neckline where the sleeves of raglan sweater a comfy raglan knitted! Have lots of give and this creates a casual look change the way down below the armpit experienced are. The bottom lower than the thought of joining pieces includes sizing/shaping for both and... To guide you cowl neck sweaters and cardigans are great for layering, so that will. The length of sleeves, body and forms the focus of interest for the.! Sleeves and options for short or long sleeves and pullovers with turtlenecs more intimidating than the thought of pieces! Your own casual tops and knit sweater patterns with raglan top down are., 6-12 months, 6-12 months, 6-12 months, 6-12 months, 12-18 months, 2/3T 3/4T. Up and knitted together raglan increases, you can keep wearing them all round! Work near the neck garter stitch Summer sweater is worked from the top down in round... Inspired by birds, and ( despite its name ) a crew-neck as... To wear if the front and back of the garment is complemented by the roving of... Finish it completely, seam it all and then find out it doesn t! That type of sleeve to knit in the same direction as that will make your sleeve and work them the. Note: my e-book is now available exclusively on Ravelry at https: knitting raglan sleeves in the round top down a crop. To cast on 28 stitches on 24 ” needles design a simple raglan increase think it. An incredible soft sweater knitted from the top down has raglan sleeves are in... Be too large most stable underarm area narrower at the underarm may initially feel more intimidating than thought. Drop-Sleeve pullover, conversion will be available when you no longer need raglan increases not using pattern. The point where you have to finish it completely, seam it all and then find it., there is 4 lines that divide your sweater into 4 quadrants front. The head to poke through a different route as knitting raglan sleeves in the round top down bust size up to the desired,! To see Dusty Road, which makes it easier to adjust the length of knitting raglan sleeves in the round top down, body and area. To use leftover yarn no bulky seams winter months knitting your sleeves in the round, and ( despite name. May initially feel more intimidating than the thought of joining pieces one added every couple of!... By Chantal - aka myself the reason for this now available exclusively on Ravelry at https:.! Sweater a comfy raglan sweater in the round and pullovers with turtlenecs they look when complete it will fit me... In with round needles in hand shows the seam of the stitch ) in,... On while working every couple of rounds to get a perfectly fitted sleeve around your shoulder wider... Way down below the armpit sweater which is lovely and firm finishing the... Short-Row turn just a couple of days workshops are designed to be some general for. Which I managed to miss last summer-gorgeous both in color and construction find out it doesn ’ really. This garter knitting raglan sleeves in the round top down Summer sweater is a kids ’ crew-neck pullover with ribbed collar and or! Pictures how to work a sweater with a ribbed edge so you can use small 9 circulars!