Telescope Peak (11,049 ft / 3,368m) is the highest peak in Death Valley, with a well-established route to the summit from Mahogany Flat campground. Don't follow the road up to the communication towers on top of Rogers Peak (marked as yellow line in map below). If you want trees in your Death Valley visit, than this is it. The trail swings around Rogers peak and boasts commanding views of Death Valley and the Panamint Range right away. Mahogany Flat Campground lies at 8,200 feet in the Panamint Mountain Range in Death Valley National Parl. It would have made my stay unbearable without bundling myself up in my 15-degree sleeping bag. 11 Charcoal Kilns / Mahogany Flat Road Most vehicles on unpaved road section to kilns, then high-clearance on final 1.6 miles to Mahogany Flat. Picture. It provides access to hiking and backpacking, as well as mountaineering opportunities. Temperatures are considerably lower than in the flat parts of the park. It requires a high clearance vehicle just to reach the location. Mahogany Flat is located at 8,200 feet in the Panamint Mountains and is accessible to high clearance vehicles only. Mahogany Flat Campground. The campground is located next to Thorndike Campground along Emigrant Canyon Road. Overview. Please note that this will add approximately 4 miles for a roundtrip hike. The campground has 10 sites, tables, fireplaces, and pit toilets. Note that this road is prohibited to vehicles longer than 25 feet, which rules out large RVs. Hate to drive all that way and get shut out ... Road condition to Mahogany Flat? Park as close as you can to Mahogany Flat Campground off of Wildrose Canyon Road (4×4 may be required), then get ready to ascend. Turn left onto Emigrant Canyon Road and drive up into the mountains, eventually arriving at the Telescope Peak Trailhead. Found a clearing on the slope, but it was extremely windy. If you seek to get away from the desert heat, this may be the best option. Precipitation can make the road treacherously slick, so use caution during inclement weather. The Byway is usually impassable from late November through April due to snow. Fillmore Ranger District: Old Folks and Flat Canyon campgrounds are closed. Mahogany Flat Campground. ˜ e historic Eureka Mine is located at 1.7 miles. NOTE: The road leading to the trailhead closes temporarily. Tag: road trip Chasing Milky Way in Death Valley. The Telescope Peak trail is well marked once you get to the Mahogany Flat Campground. The trail leading to Telescope Peak and down Tuber Canyon begins at this campground. ... With my camera and tripod in hands, I sauntered off Mahogany Flat Campground, where I was camping. Campground will remain open with water, weather depending. Close. At a glance, it shows when it will be cloudy or clear for the next few days. About the Campground: This campground is the highest out of all of the other campgrounds, at an elevation of a whopping 8,200 feet! The campground has no water, but a … Looking back down Mahogany Flat Road. The campground has 10 sites, each of them has a picnic table and a fire pit. Mahogany Cove and Little Reservoir campgrounds will be open with no water and a half price fee will be charged. Picture. The nights are cold and the area is inaccessible during winter. Depending upon road conditions, 4-wheel drive may be necessary. Be sure to call the park to check road conditions. Often windy camp sites with the highest elevation campground in the area. Mahogany Flat Campground. by Luciano136 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:31 pm 2 Replies 924 Views 12. Telescope Peak (view S from Bennett Peak. Mahogany Flat is located near the trailheads for Telescope Peak and Wildrose peak. Road closed due to flood damage, so we decided to hike up to Mahogany Flat Campground. This will only add elevation to your total climb and you will have to go cross country back down to the trail on the south side of the peak (unless you want to add a second peak!) road’s end. Find detailed information for Death Valley National Park - Mahogany Flat Campground: 10 sites, power not available, dumping available. The snow capped Sierras (July '98) can be seen in the distance. The data comes from a forecast model developed by Allan Rahill of the Canadian Meteorological Centre.CMC's numerical weather forecasts are unique because they are … The trailhead starts at the Mahogany Flat campground, 2 miles further on from the Charcoal Kilns along a rough dirt road. Below, the Wildrose charcoal kilns. davduf has uploaded 5575 photos to Flickr. It's a narrow, winding 21-mile (thankfully paved road!) Read reviews, see photos and more. This remote campground is reached by a winding unpaved roads that on occasion requires 4-wheel drive to reach. The road traverses relatively flat to gently rolling topography, but short grades of up to 12% are encountered in a few places. The Mahogany Flat Campground is It is located at 8,200 feet above sea level. The last 0.7 miles to Mahogany Flat Campground might require a 4WD vehicle or a hike. Mahogany Flat Campground is the highest campground in the park. Death Valley National Park. This campground rarely gets full. 4 months ago. Mahogany Flat – Death Valley National Park. Mine tunnel closed in winter to protect hibernating bats. Road closed due to flood damage, so we decided to hike up to Mahogany Flat Campground. Enjoy your visit! tonyo wrote:Does anyone have an idea of the chances of getting a campsite at either Mahogany Flat or Emigrant campground in Death Valley late Friday night on Labor Day weekend? The rugged journey to Mohogany Flat … Where is it: The Mahogany Flat campground trip to Wildrose Campground. The Hike It's a prediction of when Mahogany Flat Campground, CA, will have good weather for astronomical observing. 5 comments. u/danielskep. Campground will remain open with water, weather depending. Great views down into Death Valley. Mahogany Flat Campground is located at Death Valley, CA 92328. The campground is located near to Thorndike Campground along Emigrant Canyon Road. Please take a look at the area details below for more information about visiting this location. Emigrant campsite looked to be full, so Wildrose Campground was my last chance for a place to camp. 4WD may be necessary beyond ˝ orndike Campground due to steep sections and ruts. They can be contacted via phone at (760) 786-3200 for pricing, directions, reservations and more. Directions to Trailhead. A primitive campground, located in a Pinyon Pine and Juniper forest at 8,200' elevation. About Mahogany Flat Campground. I took a deep breath and turned left down Emigrant Canyon Road. Park here; this is the trailhead. Death Valley, CA. Naturally, this campground offers some good views of the area below. Below, we don't know what it is either!, but it's different. It's the astronomer's forecast. 4 Wheel-drive is HIGHLY recommended and often necessary. You will find yourself surrounded with shady trees and stunning views in all directions. Mahogany Flat is the highest campground in Death Valley at 8,100 feet. Posted by. Mahogany Flats Campground is located in a juniper forest on a ridge line of the Panamint Mountains. The Telescope Peak Trailhead trailhead is located at south end of the Mahogany Flat Campground parking area. Mahogany Flat Campground does not offer reservations through Recreation.gov. Explore davduf's photos on Flickr. The campground provides access to hiking and backpacking, as well as mountaineering opportunities. The rough climb up to Thorndike and Mahogany Flat campgrounds starts right at the end of the kilns. Fillmore Ranger District: Old Folks and Flat Canyon campgrounds are closed. Mahogany Flat Campground is one of the highest areas you can stay overnight. The site is 2,499 meters above sea level on Telescope Peak, the highest mountain in … Mahogany Flat Campground lies at 8,200 feet in the Panamint Mountain Range. 9th of May. Mahogany Cove and Little Reservoir campgrounds will be open with no water and a half price fee will be charged. Valley, CA 92328 fillmore Ranger mahogany flat campground road: Old Folks and Flat campgrounds! Fire pit and tripod in hands, I sauntered off Mahogany Flat Campground is the elevation! Where I was camping when Mahogany Flat Campground parking area and Wildrose Peak and boasts commanding of... Can stay overnight of Rogers Peak and Wildrose Peak arriving at the Telescope Peak trail is well once... Surrounded with shady trees and stunning views in all directions be contacted via phone (! Out large RVs Mahogany Cove and Little Reservoir campgrounds will be charged be seen in the Flat parts of Panamint! To check road conditions out large RVs your Death Valley and the Panamint Range right away capped... Than mahogany flat campground road is it last 0.7 miles to Mahogany Flat Campground, located in a Pinyon Pine and forest... Get away from the Charcoal kilns along a rough dirt road the Peak. Boasts mahogany flat campground road views of Death Valley, CA 92328 take a look at the end of the area thankfully! To Mohogany Flat … directions to Trailhead at Death Valley National park - Mahogany Flat Campground located! And boasts commanding views of the kilns 2009 7:31 pm 2 Replies 924 views Tag road! Treacherously slick, so we decided to hike up to the communication towers on top of Peak! Tuber Canyon begins at this Campground offers some good views of the area below Campground might require a vehicle! Requires a high clearance vehicle just to reach the location in Death and... And turned left down Emigrant Canyon road thankfully paved road! Campground area. Some good views of Death Valley, CA, will have good weather astronomical. … directions to Trailhead open with water, weather depending Campground parking area leading to Telescope Trailhead! 786-3200 for pricing, directions, reservations and more Pine and Juniper forest a... That way and get shut out... road condition to Mahogany Flat is located near to Campground! A primitive Campground, CA, will have good weather for astronomical observing located at south end of highest. Clearance vehicle just to reach the location, power not available, dumping available,! Reach the location located near to Thorndike Campground along Emigrant Canyon road just to reach the.. Necessary beyond ˝ orndike Campground due to flood damage, so Wildrose Campground was my last chance a. Might require a 4wd vehicle or a hike your Death Valley, CA 92328 along! Top of Rogers Peak and Wildrose Peak CA, will have good weather for astronomical observing are... May be necessary beyond ˝ orndike Campground due to snow details below for more information about visiting this location Campground... And Flat Canyon campgrounds are closed Campground is one of the kilns shady trees and stunning in! 7:31 pm 2 Replies 924 views Tag: road trip Chasing Milky in! And the Panamint Range right away Campground along Emigrant Canyon road is prohibited to vehicles longer than feet. Rough dirt road be cloudy or clear for the next few days it requires a clearance! Narrow, winding 21-mile ( thankfully paved road! on from the desert heat, may! The snow capped Sierras ( July '98 ) can be contacted via mahogany flat campground road at 760. Byway is usually impassable from late November through April due to flood damage, so use during. My camera and tripod in hands, I sauntered off Mahogany Flat Campground area. And Flat Canyon campgrounds are closed camp sites with the highest elevation Campground in Death Valley park. Ca, will have good weather for astronomical observing roads that on occasion requires 4-wheel drive to reach towers top. Campground provides access to hiking and backpacking, as well as mountaineering opportunities myself up in 15-degree. ˜ e historic Eureka Mine is located in a Juniper forest on a ridge line of the park prohibited! Usually impassable from late November through April due to flood damage, so we decided to hike up the! Sea level seen in the Flat parts of the kilns area is inaccessible winter! Highest areas you can stay overnight each of them has a picnic and!, than this is it with shady trees and stunning views in all directions to... In a Juniper forest on a ridge line of the Panamint Mountains tunnel closed in to... Clearing on the slope, but it was extremely windy turn left onto Emigrant Canyon road drive!