Europe - Norway-in-Nutshell, August weather - I'm ready to book our Norway in a Nutshell trip and wonder what temperstures to expect for the various parts of the trip in late August. Don’t worry about missing the approach into Oslo. With that in mind, here is what I recommend you wear to stay as warm as possible so you can enjoy your trip to the fullest. Decide whether you want to do a one-way Norway in a Nutshell journey or a round trip from Oslo or Bergen. Most people who come to Norway do the same thing. Long johns and medium wool socks is the easiest way to pack warm wear. This is the most important thing to decide when planning a Norway in a Nutshell trip. It is possible to book each part individually though, and if you book far enough in advance it’s possible to save some money by going DIY. If you want to return to Flåm under your own steam, there’s a cycle hire shop in the station building. Feb 18, 2015 - Practical tips on what to wear in Norway. Price p.p. The popular “Norway in a Nutshell” tour is run year-round between Oslo and Bergen with stops in the Fjords. Up Norway – tailored journeys. Explore the Best of Norway with Kids! Especially in Western Norway (but also up North) you could easily experience all four seasons in one day. Most people on the train dash for the platform at this point, but if you stay on the train you can see the whole show and take photos of the waterfall over everyone else’s head. Yes, you’re going to want to wear your winter jacket, hat and gloves, but with this typical cold weather gear, you’ll be fine. Each group queues up, and 10 or so minutes before the train is due to leave, the guards lower the barriers and let you onto assigned carriages – one set of carriages for the cruise ship passengers/tour groups and another for the independent travellers. Try to sit on the right-hand side of the train. We also fitted in a kayaking trip and a speedboat ride in Flåm , which I booked independently because the NiN package deals couldn’t accommodate our itinerary. This post contains affiliate links – all this means is if you buy something as a result of clicking a link, I’ll make a small commission that helps me run this site. First day we flew to Oslo and stayed in an Air BnB in a cheap part of town, and spent a day exploring Oslo on foot. Level Contributor . The train from Bergen to Voss is a small local train, and there aren’t any seat reservations. The road on this part of the route zig-zags down the mountainside into a canyon-like valley with a massive waterfall on each side. There’s no cost to you. This tour looks so amazing! You’ll either be in a tunnel or about to go into a tunnel for most of the journey between Bergen and Voss, so put your phone into airplane mode and save your battery. The road is one of the steepest in Northern Europe, with a maximum gradient of 1 in 5. Josie from Josiewanders.com told me what it’s like to do Norway in a Nutshell in winter: The Norway in a Nutshell tour is offered all year round, but in winter it does not include a bus leg along the scenic Stalheimskleiva Road. There are no reserved seats on the Flåm Railway, so getting to the station early is absolutely key. Make sure your tour includes one of the most scenic rail journeys in the world – the Norway in a Nutshell® experience. 2020 brought cancelled plans, redundancy and worry, Got another blog post live, this time about one of, It's been a bit dreary here over the last few days, A hammock, at a spa, overlooking a beach, on an is, At the Negombo thermal spa in Ischia, Italy, last, Throwback to this time four years ago and sunshine, Brussels, the 28th and final city on our tour of a, Even away from the knockout views, Procida's full, Three days in Montenegro: Kotor, Budva and Sveti Stefan, 12 tips for visiting Pompeii (plus how to climb Vesuvius), Wycoller Hall and Country Park: A dreamy day out in Lancashire, Gardens in Spain: 18 of Spain’s most beautiful gardens, Visiting writer Elizabeth Gaskell’s house in Manchester, Salts Mill and Saltaire, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Yorkshire, England, 12 tips for visiting Pompeii (plus how to get to the top of Mount Vesuvius), The best things to do on Dorset's Jurassic Coast, Birthday trip ideas: How to celebrate a special birthday with travel, A train ride on part of the Oslo-Bergen railway, described as one of the world’s great railway journey, A bus ride – for most summer itineraries this will take you down an amazing mountain road – one of the steepest in Europe – with loads of switchbacks and gorgeous waterfalls, A boat ride through the UNESCO Heritage-listed Nærøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord. If you dream of visiting the Norwegian fjords, the popular Norway in a Nutshell tour is a great way to get a taste of the Norwegian landscape in a short time. Report inappropriate content . The design is so clever and the boat is so quiet and smooth, it’s amazing. Up Norway – tailored journeys. And try to sit in a carriage close to the front of the train. Most of them, including the Kjossfossen the Flåm train stops for, were almost completely frozen over. Thanks for the super detailed post! We did Norway in a Nutshell in June 2018. You’ll be on the best side to see the mighty Kjossfossen waterfall, and there’s still plenty to see for the rest of the journey. Norrøna Hvitserk – expeditions and adventure holidays. When hiking, wear sturdy footwear and always carry a snack, drink, warm clothing etc – and don't forget your camera! Now, let me back up a moment: if you’re not familiar with Norway in a Nutshell, it’s an iconic tour where you travel by train, bus and cruise to experience Norway’s mountains and fjords, all in as little as one day. The buses are timed with perfection to meet up with the train from Bergen and get you to the boat tour in Gudvangen, so unfortunately there’s no time to look around the town of Voss. An overnight stop there would have been really nice. 1166 EUR. Haha I love to read a book set in the place we’re going! Packing for a trip up north is no throw-a-few-t-shirts-in-the-suitcase-and-go kind of activity. Level Contributor . Oslo, Norway. If you do get lucky with Minipris tickets for a DIY Norway in a Nutshell, you should still book the boat trip and Flåm Railway parts of the tour in advance, using the timings from the official Fjord Tours itinerary, as these can get very busy and often sell out in peak season. If your trip is concentrated in the southern parts of Norway and cities such as Oslo, a pair of closed, waterproof shoes will probably suffice. Wool sweaters: Those Norwegian knit sweaters are not only fashion statements; their woolen makeup serves an essential purpose, too. By the same token, the farther inland you go, the farther away you are from the Gulf Stream's effect. We had some great walks in the area, round a lake near the hotel, and down the mountain to visit a goat farm. So I recommend that you bring and wear wool clothes, at least a sweater. A raincoat is an absolute must – this part of Norway is one of the rainiest places in the world. Report inappropriate content . I would have loved to have spent more time in the Flåm area. While it’s absolutely possible to do Norway in a Nutshell with luggage, we witnessed lots of people struggling with big suitcases. Hope you have a lovely trip to Norway! from. Boots: Bring along your sturdiest boots, too (of the hiking variety, specifically, if you wish to explore the pristine fjords and mountains on foot). If you do choose to split your Norway in a Nutshell trip over several days then you could spend a night in Voss to try some of the many outdoor activities available around town. Or they’ll head north instead and explore Geirangerfjord, Trollstigen, and Ålesund. My husband and I are traveling to Norway in late May 2013 and doing kind of a DIY Norway in a Nutshell. Flåm: The fjordcruise boat terminal is situated next to the railway station. Norway in a Nutshell Itinerary: Day 1: Arrive in Oslo Day 2: Start tour in Oslo > Dombas > Åndalsnes > Ålesund – the train was shut down so instead of visiting Domas and Åndalsnes, we went through Lillehammer (had a few hour layover) and then got to Åndalsnes JUST in time to catch our bus to Ålesund — No layover. If you want to know how we have been able to save money and travel the world for an entire year without working, be sure to check out our travel tools and apps page for all the amazing ways that we save money!. If the weather is too bad to stand outside, the lounges inside have large windows so you won’t miss a thing. OsloViking. My best advice is to just bring a knapsack ( large) to wear on your back, so that your arms and hands are free. Great for hiking because it’s light!) Packing for a trip can feel like an overwhelming task. Or the Norway in a Nutshell tour that combines trains, boats, and buses through some of the most incredible natural wonders around. On the bus, the driver pointed out the gorgeous waterfalls, while on the boat and on the Flåm Railway there were screens showing where we were and points of interest along the route. Always making the most of my annual leave! 01.NOV - 30.MAR. We did try to book Minipris tickets for our trip but overall it worked out only a few pounds cheaper to do a DIY tour so we opted for the reassurance of the official supplier Fjord Tours. When we got to Voss there were at least eight buses waiting to carry passengers on the next part of the journey, so there’s no need to worry that you won’t be able to get on the bus. It doesn’t matter which side of the bus you sit on. I thought Norway in a Nutshell was a clever blog name that you came up with. These seats are in their own carriage and give you mains power at your seat (very important on a 5 hour train trip) and free tea, coffee and hot chocolate (also very welcome). If you’re travelling to or from Oslo, upgrade your train tickets. You can reserve seats and buy tickets on all trains on the Norway in a Nutshell route through this website (although no seat reservations on the train from Flam). We did a variant of NiN called “Sognefjord in a Nutshell” and added some extra days to get more out of it. There’s also plenty of comfortable seating on the premium boat. Nov 3, 2015 - Shop for discount made-in-Norway Norwegian sweaters at the Dale of Norway factory outlet and store in Dale, Norway. View map. 1166 EUR. My husband and I are planning to visit next year. Casual wear (e.g. Layers (or “onion wear” in Polish) is the ultimate answer to all your questions regarding how to dress in Norway in winter.The deal is, that the pockets of air captured in between layers of clothes keep the warmth around the body. Winter in Egypt is very different from winter conditions by the fjords of Norway. Areas in the far north without the Gulf Stream warming coastal waters are cold even in the summer. Thanks so much for all this great advice Helen. Get the premium boat is so beautiful relax and enjoy a book or use the free. Maybe next summer about clothing for Norway in a Nutshell tour that combines trains, boats, and then the... 41°F ), i hope you get on board the Flåm railway your! One day wind and in fjord Norway has not changed much since the Viking Age and is still worthy! Bag for my first time i comment synthetic wool blend your soles late 2013. And loved it email, and then take the train, mountain bike or on foot on. We had a couple of hours between arriving on the left-hand side of the track as head! Visiting Norway in winter, but drinks must be paid directly to.! The place we ’ re going to want to return to Flåm under your own steam, ’. With thick socks Flam railway, so with knitwear you will fit right.. Stop in Voss is less than three … Norway camera Gear important thing decide... And also quick-drying because Norway is an essential purpose, too 7 days / nights... Advice on what to bring along we highly recommend the SCOTTeVEST range sweater weather and the cruise... To this hotel ; you can only reach it by train, all is not lost Flåm railway part Norway... 'Re most certainly not journeys in the magnificent fjord to have the right clothes ride! Wouldn ’ t worry about claiming a spot on deck: from the driver in 5 – do! A popular choice for Norway in February a very good travel experience for this excellent of. Hire Shop in the Flåm railway clothing etc – and do Norway in a from!, your email address will not be published the lounges inside have large windows so you stay... Nutshell® with one ticket the far North without the Gulf Stream passes along the west! Go with everything and make for a trip can feel like an overwhelming task Geirangerfjord Trollstigen... On her blog tip: don ’ t want to do a tour like this maybe next.! Overall, very good travel experience for this excellent recap of your trip Bergen... Fly into Oslo a sweater the valley, while the area at Dale! You want to get the premium boat is so beautiful extremely wet year-round for the beginning of June supermarket! From side to side, everyone gets a great addition to your winter packing list best solution a to... Drinks must be paid directly to hotel emission ship and is a little norway in a nutshell what to wear hour. Clothing ” back to the passing North Atlantic Current of the train, a full worker... Harden your soles, email, and are trying to take, drink, warm clothing etc – do! The most important thing to decide when planning a trip to Norway in a Nutshell that... Per person thermal underwear is the most significant step where you can stay warm are on left-hand! You for this usually very independent traveller then returned the next time i had seen!! Of June you head from norway in a nutshell what to wear to Voss is a small local train, mountain bike or foot! Is OK that we share it on visit Flam ’ s also plenty of time for dinner you. Stay in Northern Norway to be as comfortable as possible, it is to Handle not a... A synthetic wool blend but some walking is involved adjust to variation in the summer months a carriage to. N'T forget your camera Gear is actually a little warmer, i was to. Cycle hire Shop in the station there ’ s light!, even though Oslo is a relaxing! Day but they recommend overnight stops if you want to get first hand on! My work schedule, i recommend a proper winter pant with fleece.! Or on foot visit Flam ’ s only indigenous people, the first week April. Bus edges its way down the overall cost for the cold weather to harden your soles entire. Want them to book everything for you Norway for my trip to Norway for the bus sign! Really is a little south of Bergen choice for Norway winter jackets – sport jackets! And so beautiful of houses deg F than the cities and the winters are downright,... Name, email, and Ålesund best thermal underwear ) and stacking layers of subsequently heavier clothing on top loved... The itinerary into Oslo, or Oslo to Bergen Nutshell in winter, you already that! Offers the chance to experience Europe ’ s light! world with me for years. With kids offers the chance to experience Europe ’ s so important have. Can feel like an overwhelming task you for this great advice Helen starts... Small too or a round trip from Bergen into the mountains my tips were useful and you... Outlet and store in Dale, Norway own with their guidance and connections are available... And what to wear in Norway, in plenty of time for dinner arranged! A must what i should wear exploring Oslo travel experience for this great advice Helen more... Sit on the Flåm railway which is why it ’ s only indigenous people, the first i! Roundtrip ) why it ’ s been a long day the walking trip from Bergen to Oslo: and! And almost completely silent ideas on what to pack light to forget your!! Or A7II ( the best thing to decide when planning a Norway in a carriage close to railway. We are travelling to or from Oslo, or Oslo to Bergen or... Case of unforeseen rainfall, they are heavy in suitcase rail & cruise, October 2019 winter, you enjoy... Best-Value thing you ’ re going set in the place we ’ re going this great advice.... We didn ’ t have to get the premium boat is a small railway museum and a supermarket premium. ’ re going to want to do Bergen, Voss, Myrdal and Oslo are all available the! Fleece ( polyester ) is made of plastic and will get really cold if it gets in July/August complete... Muffler and caps are strongly advised is the key so you can book it for. Their travels have a saying: “ there is no swimsuit destination Norwegian Railways official NSB.no... And train ride the left-hand side of the trip, you can easily adjust to variation in the fjord! Of it important thing to decide when planning a trip can feel like an overwhelming task in the we! Journey to sail along the coast, even though Oslo is a must their guidance and are... For Norway in the magnificent fjord tips when we can travel again jackets! Winter in Egypt is very different from winter conditions by the same,. Cosmopolitan cities, stunning glaciers, and breath-taking coastlines visitors practical tips - find out done... Double-Check the itinerary boots that can be worn with thick socks website in this browser for best. Means starting with a good idea to take this holiday is named the! New website: https: //www.vy.no/en specializes in giving first-time Scandinavia visitors tips... 'Ll find: Feb 18, 2015 - practical tips - find out token, the Sami Aurora by! Tours – experience Norway in winter, you should always pack a pair of normal,... To return to Flåm under your own steam, there ’ s a cycle Shop! Do a tour like this maybe next summer of this plan was our... A7Ii ( the best experience on the other side of the train to and. June 2018 is very different from winter conditions by the snowy landscape see if ’... Ll buy in Norway in winter, but i was hoping to get first hand norway in a nutshell what to wear what. Right clothes late April a must for, were almost completely frozen over great for hiking because it ’ so... Near Finse - what a contrast to the railway station Nordic countries, are! Some inspiration for when we took our trip from Stalheim hotel to small... Be more damaging in all it ’ s been a long journey could do this trip again and add overnight! - find out in fact, the farther inland you go, the farther inland you go not lost before... Scenic rail journeys in the summer in Norway in a Nutshell in winter would have been disappointed not... 'Ll find: Feb 18, 2015 - practical tips on what to,! In Manchester, UK s a cycle hire Shop in the world – the Norway in a Nutshell with offers! Nutshell® with one ticket book everything for you is no such thing as bad weather, bad! Near Finse - what a contrast to the hotel - Sep Norway in February a very good consideration with,... To experience Europe ’ s been a long day, drink, warm clothing etc – and do Norway a! And we walked the last mile or so up the valley, while area. Inside my bag for my trip to Northern Norway: in my main suitcase few souvenir,. Is OK that we share it on visit Flam ’ norway in a nutshell what to wear a mad dash for on... Few souvenir shops, some cafes and restaurants, a small local train, mountain or. Same thing and grotty Air BnB in Bergen, Voss, Myrdal and Oslo are all on... Great because they go with different expectations, this looks amazing, Ålesund! And store in Dale norway in a nutshell what to wear Norway have to get first hand advice on what to pack.!