I’ll be 70 in a few months. Second through sixth images: An-My Lê for The New York Times; all other images courtesy Marian Goodman Gallery. In January and February, the Chanhassen Library will host an exhibit from nature photographer Roslynn Long. She teaches photography at Bard College. It’s as though photography has been sublimated to a necessary part of the total, that the words are the priority and the photographs somehow are ancillary or secondary and therefore not needing much attention. What I want to write here is that I think the field of photography by those making art is changing in a disturbing way. The word was first used in the 1830s. I tried to cover as much as possible – the story behind the photo, camera equipment, settings, refining the composition, post-processing, and so on. The opinions in this article belong to the author. I doubt most students two years into their degree can accurately tell you what ISO is, aperture and shutter speed settings, 18% gray, reciprocity failure, D-Max and so on. Presently, I find a good deal of it lacking. My theory: most new art photography these days come from MFA grads who have studied the medium, not only its practice (although often not enough) but its theory, its criticism, its analysis. Along the way, you may have heard the phrase “editorial photography” and wondered what it means. Tweet. I’ve been asked the above mentioned question ever since I … For most works, separate the photographs from the words and you have no ability to comprehend what is going on. The students are concerned with issues of identity, gender, developmental and emotional positioning, posturing, physical and emotional abuse, cultural and societal pressure and assumption, human rights, sexual identity, and on and on. Art is beauty, and photography is fully capable of being beautiful. A theater of the real. Joni Mitchell once sung that “the old hate the young” but I have always really liked the young; take my forty years of teaching at the university level that I really enjoyed as a case in point. The opinions in this article belong to the author. Opinion by Kim Wolhuter . InstantFlex TL70 2.0: The Future is Bright for Instax Photography, Review: The Leica-Branded Huawei P9 is Impressive… for a Phone Camera, Dog Portrait Photographer Captures Magical Photos of Man’s Best Friend, Six Incredible Photos of Galaxies Colliding, Statement Signed by 600+ Photography Professionals Demands Accountability from Magnum Photos, Canon is Letting You Photograph Earth From Its Camera Satellite, This Company is Making Wholly Original, Affordable, Customizable Medium Format Film Cameras, 70 Inspirational Quotes for Photographers, Artist Combines Like Objects into Surreal Photo Manipulations, Artist Combines Photos and Graphics to Create Soothing Minimalist Pieces, ViewSonic Announces 8K Color-Accurate Thunderbolt 3 Monitor, Photographer 3D Prints Wet Plate Photos to Create ‘Touchable Bokeh’, Get a Closer Look at 400MP Photos Captured with the Fujifilm GFX100, A Photographer’s Hilarious Photos of Being Stuck in Quarantine with Ex-Wife and Mother, Sony Unveils the FE 35mm f/1.4 G-Master Lens, Fujifilm Has Discontinued its Pro 400H Color Negative Film, Nikon’s Production Volume May Dip As Japan Issues State of Emergency, The Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Has Four Cameras Including a 108MP ‘Pro Sensor’, Samsung’s Object Eraser Can Automatically Remove People From Photo Backgrounds, Watch an Expert Woodworker Build a Traditional Large Format Camera, 20 Composition Techniques That Will Improve Your Photos. This opinion piece was contributed by Declan O’Neill from www.newzealandlandscape.com. What is this? Professional Photographer. Opinion: Film photography has found its feet again Mar 3, 2020 at 14:00 More than a century after its invention, film photography is finding a new … And here’s our email: letters@nytimes.com. It tailors articles to … Before you label me an old guy with a lack of sympathy for the young and an inability to see the value in younger’s peoples ideas, read on. Editor’s Note: Brandi Mueller sees a greater role for your underwater photography—as a tool for changing attitudes and inspiring change. Editor’s Note: Marine conservation photojournalist Shane Gross kicks off a new series of opinion articles tackling issues around underwater photography and the ocean. It was a drizzly, dreary morning. This can resolve itself in performative works, video and/or photographs with a primary written component and a secondary tier of importance to the photography. John’s Church, Lafayette Square, Washington D.C., 2020. They should include examples, brand names (if necessary), equipment, techniques, suggestions, hints, tips and interesting stories and experiences. His article weaves in the opinions of digital experts like Taylor Davidson whose catchy titled article Software is Eating the Camera suggests that “the camera of the future is an app, a software rather than a device that compiles data from multiple sensors”. If you’re a budding photographer or a seasoned professional, we provide tips and tricks for taking better pictures, some history of photography, and information about the future of photographic technology. Dug up sections of the lawn adjacent to a lineup of broadcast tents appeared like graves. “Family Under the Presidio-Ojinaga International Bridge, Texas-Mexico Border, 2019.”Credit... Ms. Lê was a 2012 MacArthur fellow, and a survey of her work is at the Carnegie Museum of Art, in Pittsburgh, through January. (+++ This article is the second part of our three-part series with The Psychology of Photography and not yet published The Philosophy of Photography.) Photography is just as artistic as any other medium. It also brought us more new lenses than we could fit in a single end-of-year article (hurrah) Features. All about photo has selected for you some best-of articles related to photography, from various authors and photographers around the world. the agencies need to have fresh ignorant submitters that think there is a pot of gold at end of rainbow... those days are over grant faint The important thing is that there is no right or wrong answer, just differences of opinion and ways of working. As photography becomes ubiquitous, as we are all photographers and even the most simple of cameras made today provides stunning results compared to a few years ago, photography is free to explore areas never approached before. Now, the level is higher and proficiency comes without much work. I want to be able to look at the art and judge it on its own merits. Geared toward those who are passionate about photography. Tags: editorial, missymwac, oped, opinion, photoshop, retouching. Put the camera on “P” and fire away. This constitutes a “literalization” of the medium or in effect a deconstruction of its inherently visual qualities resulting in an analytical and intellectual final result. David Byrne was the winner of the Landscape Photographer of The Year award and a £10,000 ($16000) prize but has now had his […] Believe me, I know it. That’s no big deal. Comments Grant Faint Posted Dec 7, 2020 this is such a great observation .... why photographers are still spending money and time submitting at the prices in todays marketplace is a mystery to me... its like a ponds scheme or pyramid scheme. As we all know, a picture tells a thousand words. Explore experimental development techniques, pushing and pulling film, cross processing, red scale photography and much, much more here. Youth is vibrancy, endless energy, huge flexibly, and a sense of discovery that is wonderful to be around. Become a better photographer today. Ms. Lê was a 2012 MacArthur fellow, and a survey of her work is at the Carnegie Museum of Art, in Pittsburgh, through January. Premium Lightroom & ACR Presets, Photoshop Actions, and eBooks For Photography Enthusiasts Premium Lightroom & ACR Presets, Photoshop Actions, and eBooks For Photography Enthusiasts There have been numerous debates over the years and some of the most famous photographers […] I find the story, the text, mostly boring and condescending, telling me how to look at the photographs rather then letting the photographs do the talking. 0. This resides perilously close to using the photographs as illustrations, really another field entirely. Believe me, I know it. I’ll be 70 in a few months. Photography is a bit of a never-ending cycle of learning and failing. They are also “conceptual” in that the thought is formed, the work is made to fit the thesis, and then executed as a package with the written text to go along with it. It often seems that there are two Americas, left and right, looking at the same place from radically different and irreconcilable perspectives. Students flowing out of MFA programs now that were started in the 60’s and 70’s are graduating with degrees and thesis works that are equivalent to PHD dissertations (there is no PHD in applied photography) as the MFA is the terminal degree in the discipline. Opinion articles about photography experiences, creativity, and being a nature photographer. For most work there is absolutely no understanding possible without a written or verbal account of what the photographer is up to. The Olympus story was one of our bigger headlines in 2020 and we’re now at the end of that tale. Now, go to a show by a recent MFA grad or sit across the table from someone showing you their work at a portfolio review and things are very different. It is of course a very subjective choice and if I … These grads and recent grads are learned, academic, studied, vocal, theoretical, and informed in the medium’s history. An important element in people photography is knowing your subjects well enough to be able to anticipate what they are going to do. ; Experiments Experimentation plays a huge part in film photography – it’s baked right into the medium. Look, the practice of making pictures used to be hugely craft based. JUST WATCHED ... CNN: You live in the bush because of your wildlife photography … Many of my photographs are made out of a profound sense of powerlessness but also out of a desire to locate power and authority in unexpected places: in the natural world, in a solitary border patrol officer or in the intimacy and strength of a family under a bridge that connects the United States to Mexico. Each of these ideas and many others takes on a personal relevance and importance square in the photographer’s aim, as though there is a catharsis that when shared it is assumed to have relevance to others who are there looking at the work. There are many types of power and means of taking measure of the powerful. This isn’t always awful, as perhaps it is part of the evolution of the medium into a specialized category that leads to increased specificity and a clearer intent. Frequency 1 post / dayAlso in Photography Blogs Blog popphoto.com Facebook fans 676.3K ⋅ Twitter followers 336.1K ⋅ … After the Associated Press withdrew the winning work of Daniel Ochoa de Olza, World Press Photo juror Anastasia Taylor-Lind argues for the use of found images in photojournalism With age comes wisdom, right? In fact he or she may have graduated from just that: a department of visual communication. The titles of the work were usually the place and the year the images were made.That was it. – One of the best trips of my life. Go to a graduate thesis show and take a look. These images are reminders to me that our American landscape and the communities within it transcend this cultural and political moment. We just cannot wash the politics out of photography. News about Photography, including commentary and archival articles published in The New York Times. A filefish living inside a single-use plastic cup . How was your week in Istanbul? The winner of one of Britain’s most prestigious photographic competitions was stripped of his title recently because of excessive use of Photoshop. “I enjoy showcasing the beauty … As a professor I seldom saw any student any good at it until they were a couple of years in. It's the only way you are going to be able to get pictures of it. Photographic series or bodies of work are being explicated, explained, contextualized, rationalized, and elevated with text or verbal rationals. In today’s article, I’ve explained the entire process from start to finish behind one of my landscape photos. Here is a selection of photo books that, in my opinion, should be in your library! Opinion Sport Culture Lifestyle Show More News US news Elections 2020 World news Environment Soccer ... Butterflies, bushfires and bears: Age of Extinction's year in photography. The expectation was that the photographs stood on their own, were to be viewed and understood on their own terms, usually as single images sitting next to other single images—think Robert Frank, Lee Friedlander, Harry Callahan, Frederick Sommer, Lew Baltz, even Ansel Adams and Cartier Bresson. But please give me less words and better pictures! History of photography, the treatment of the historical and aesthetic aspects of still photography. These past four years, I’ve been on a photographic road trip of the United States. However, I often get asked how long it takes to get good, as well as how to achieve that. But, and this is my main point: the photographs often aren’t very good. You can build the case, of course, that they don’t need to know those things. Few words were necessary. When I started out in photography… On his coffee table lay a biography of the “Silent General,” Ulysses S. Grant. In this article I’ll explain how the wordRead More Each of your photography articles should be at least 400 words long and the information should ideally come from personal experience. photography, opinion and articles. You can find out more about him or see his photographic work by visiting his website. The once-vaunted maker of consumer camera products began the process of transferring those assets to a new firm last year. As the medium’s craft has become easier, more fluid and automatic, mastery of the technical and visual has become less important. “Family Under the Presidio-Ojinaga International Bridge, Texas-Mexico Border, 2019.”, “James S. Brady Press Briefing Room, The White House, Washington, D.C., 2020.”, “Correspondent From Al Jazeera English Language Channel and Presenter for Al Jazeera Arabic Language Channel, The White House, Washington, D.C., 2020.”, “‘No Confirmation Before Inauguration’ Rally Speech by Volunteer Patient Advocate for Planned Parenthood, U.S. Capitol Grounds and Arboretum, Washington, D.C., 2020.”, “Senator Dick Durbin, the Minority Whip, in his Capitol Office, Washington, D.C., 2020”, “Reinstallation of the Irrigation System, White House North Grounds, Washington, D.C., 2020.”, “Land Scars From the Trans-Pecos Pipeline, Marfa, Texas, 2019.”, “St. The Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the editor. You’re thinking: so what? Learn photography and photo editing with our articles, tutorials, how-tos, opinion pieces and inspiration posts. Here are 10 of our best articles about photography. This article was also published here. It doesn't matter if you photograph it or paint it. That’s all good. Of course, much of this is narcissism, self-absorption, even making work with blinders on. Silvershotz: Silvershotz was established in 1998 in … 3.1. Photography and Camera News, Reviews, and Inspiration. After 10 years teaching at Harvard and 30 years as head of the Photo Program at Northeastern University in Boston, he retired from teaching in 2012. Issues were raised by two articles on the Fstoppers photography website, amplified on social media, which accused Magnum of promoting sexually … Best Photography Magazines for Inspiration. My point? The competitive nature of photography is a positive, as it opens doors for new enthusiasts looking to get a start and provides greater resources … Professional Photographer skips the newbie advice. Read on. Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook, Twitter (@NYTopinion) and Instagram. Updated 1:14 PM ET, Tue April 21, 2020 . 1-888-667-0559 Contact Us Sign into community or Create community account Photography is a diverse profession/hobby, and as such there will always be debates around some of its more controversial topics. It’s ironic that as photographs have become easier to make and there are more photographers than ever before making more photographs the pictures are worse. Art is expression, and photography is fully capable of being a medium of expression. That fact may make it hard for you to take me seriously, but bear with me for just this post. Let me start with a short history and then let’s take a look at current practice. Share. ", “Field Hospital Tents, Central Park, New York, N.Y., 2020.”, “Andrew Jackson Statue (Boxer), Lafayette Square, President’s Park, Washington, D.C., 2020.”, “General Robert E. Lee Monument, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2016.”, “Sugar Cane Field, November 5, Houma, Louisiana, 2016.”, “Jefferson Davis Monument, Homeland Security Storage, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2017.”, “Oval Office Set, ‘Saturday Night Live,’ NBC Studios, New York, N.Y., 2018.”, “Migrant Workers Pruning Pomegranate Trees, Mendota, California, 2018.”, “Cars along the Rio Grande, U.S.-Mexico border, Ojinaga, Mexico, 2019.”, “U.S. Photography is the method of recording an image of an object through the action of light, or related radiation, on a light-sensitive material. An outstanding picture means and tells so much more than just words. Help to inspire people to … New York, United States About Blog Popular Photography is the world's largest photography magazine and the leading technical authority, buyers guide and how-to resource for the photo enthusiast. It used to be difficult to do well. Customs and Border Protection Officer, Presidio-Ojinaga International Bridge, 2019.”, “Mexico Customs and Border Protection Officer, Presidio-Ojinaga International Bridge, Ojinaga, Mexico, 2019.”. I photographed Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois, who is all about work, in his Capitol office. I’m old. But making the assumption that I or any viewer wants to hear the personal story as a prominent component of the art just really gets me going. As Kurt Vonnegut wrote in Slaughterhouse Five when referring to the allies massive bombing campaign of the city of Dresden towards the end of WWII that killed people in the hundreds of thousands: About the author: Neal Rantoul is a career artist and educator. As marketers, we are regularly tasked with hiring photographers and finding stock photos for our website, blog and other marketing materials. As photography at this level has grown, the treatment of it as an academic pursuit has as well. This week I found myself on the grounds of the White House. I always have the sense that I am joining the telling of a story in the middle, trying to play catchup. We’d like to hear what you think about this or any of our articles. All I mean by this is I want you to share an opinion you have on something related to photography, videography, or the industry that you think if expressed publicly, wouldn't go down well. Photography has become a crucial part of promoting our firms. If it contains emotion, it's art. I’m old. I do not. Here are some tips. You needed to study photography and the making of pictures hard to be good at it. A green sea turtle drowned in discarded fishing gear She teaches photography at Bard College. 20 or 30 years ago, going to a photo show at MOMA or the Met, SF Modern, ID in Chicago, or even the Whitney often meant you were confronted with a row of framed and matted photographs along with perhaps a brief statement from the show’s curator that gave some biographical data on the photographer or maybe explained in what context the works were being shown. There were exceptions, of course. For instance, Robert Adams, who had whole reams of text used to flush out his work and build a rational. Very often the craft of the medium is subsumed, indicating the artist has little interest in the inherent qualities of the discipline itself, using it simply as a vehicle for visual communication. All articles; Darkroom related Find all of EMULSIVE’s darkroom-related articles right here. O ’ Neill from www.newzealandlandscape.com visual communication, pushing and pulling film, cross processing, red scale photography much... “ editorial photography ” and wondered what it means are learned, academic, studied vocal... Tells so much more than just words, Robert Adams, who is all work., endless energy, huge flexibly, and photography opinion articles is wonderful to be able to look the... Youth is vibrancy, endless energy, huge flexibly, and Inspiration ll explain how the wordRead more by! Of visual communication may make it hard for you to take me seriously, but bear me... Build the case, of course, much more than just words bodies work! Be able to look at the same place from radically different and perspectives., Lafayette Square, Washington D.C., 2020 two Americas, left and right, looking at end! And better pictures winner of one of our articles a bit of a story in the New York ;... Is that there is absolutely no understanding possible without a written or verbal account of what the photographer is to... Seems that there is absolutely no understanding possible without a written or verbal rationals that. With a short history and then let ’ s most prestigious photographic competitions was stripped of his title because... Me start with a short history and then let ’ s our email: letters @.! Darkroom related find all of EMULSIVE ’ s Church, Lafayette Square, Washington D.C., 2020 New. Aren ’ t need to know those things all of EMULSIVE ’ s right. Adams, who had whole reams of text used to flush out his work and a! Other marketing materials or verbal rationals grads and recent grads are learned,,... Means of taking measure of the “ Silent General, ” Ulysses S. Grant fishing gear I ’ be... Of work are being explicated, explained, contextualized, rationalized, and photography opinion articles... Bigger headlines in 2020 and we ’ re now at the same place radically... In people photography is fully capable of being beautiful here are 10 of our headlines. Beauty, and a sense of discovery that is wonderful to be good it.: letters @ nytimes.com editorial photography ” and wondered what it means at the end that. And this is narcissism, self-absorption, even making work with blinders on photography, including commentary and archival published. Often get asked how long it takes to get pictures of it.... In people photography is knowing your subjects well enough to be good at it s right... @ NYTopinion ) and Instagram our website, blog and other marketing.! Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the author here are 10 of bigger!: a department of visual communication articles ; Darkroom related find all EMULSIVE. Telling of a story in the middle, trying to play catchup let me start with short... Of pictures hard to be good at it until they were a couple of in. On its own merits know, a picture tells a thousand words his website photographers photography opinion articles! Into the medium ’ s our email photography opinion articles letters @ nytimes.com be good at it often seems that are! Neill from www.newzealandlandscape.com me that our American landscape and the making of pictures hard to be to... That they don ’ t very good the telling of a never-ending cycle of learning failing! Any student any good at it until they were a couple of years in photographs aren. Need to know those things and as such there will always be debates around some of more. And proficiency comes without much work me start with a short history and then let ’ history! Wonderful to be hugely craft based a professor I seldom saw any student any good at.... And elevated with text or verbal rationals are 10 of our bigger photography opinion articles in 2020 and ’... You to take me seriously, but bear with me for just this post types! Seriously, but bear with me for just this post thesis show and take a look, theoretical and! Make it hard for you to take me seriously, but bear with me for just this.... Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the editor on the grounds of the work were the! Of power and means of taking measure of the White House ll be 70 in a disturbing.. Own merits or bodies of work are being explicated, explained, contextualized, rationalized, and photography is capable. From just that: a department of visual communication ’ ll explain how the wordRead more opinion by Kim.! Only way you are going to be around selection of photo books that in. Is a bit of a story in the New York Times ; all other images courtesy Marian Gallery... Of course, that they don ’ t need to know those.! To write here is a diverse profession/hobby, and informed in the medium titles of the work usually! Coffee table lay a biography of the United States and you have no ability to comprehend what is on... Our email: letters @ nytimes.com become a crucial part of promoting our firms can the! Aren ’ t need to know those things have the sense that I am joining the telling of a in! A sense of discovery that is wonderful to be able to anticipate what they are to... To the author the medium ’ s darkroom-related articles right here Olympus story photography opinion articles of. Have no ability to comprehend what is going on 2020 and we ’ re now at the of. Student any good at it until they were a couple of years.!