I had been saying it all my life and it never occurred to me that it totally comes from our fucked up weather. Have you rooted for the Seattle Seahawks ever since you were a little kid? A social phenomenon commonly found in the Seattle area. OK. 'Where’s my wallet?' Now he wants me to be a hotwife. There's a place by me in NJ that calls them that, but always just thought it was their name for their specific preparation of wedges. In piloting circles, they used "Visibility: Rainier". Put your clothes in the waRsher. When we think of accents, we often think of the South or the East Coast or places like Minnesota. Meanwhile, short-term rental platforms like Airbnb and VRBO are growing, too. Do other people here not distinguish between sounds like "well" and "whale" or is my family just weird? Do you know how many inches of rain Seattle gets every year? REDDIT. Many people move here with the impression that Seattleites are friendly and laid-back but upon moving quickly realizing how superficial and forced that "friendly" exterior really is. Press J to jump to the feed. Ugh. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts There are many emerging and distinctive features of the Seattle accent when compared to the rest of the country. Yes this is the one comment I actually agree with! I … really asking, not being flip. http://www.kplu.org/post/listen-can-you-pick-out-northwest-accent-and-yes-we-have-one. We call Potato wedges "Jo-Jo's" here, and I got strange looks when I used that slang on the East Coast. The West is just the newest part of the country. "Baag". Now he wants me to be a hotwife. In fact, the convince store "Convenient Food Mart" has their own special brand of "Jo-Jo's" called Jo-Jo's and everyone around there considers them to be the "authentic" ones. LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE First video of my weekly vlogs, tutorials, hair, story time, life journey, ect. We’re now available in Seattle. Warning: Non-Nortwesterners should use these terms (in the vain hope of fitting in) only at the risk of being greeted by frequent blank stares. "It’s a universal term for describing something, especially if you can’t remember the name of it. My whole family from E Wa says this. It concludes the majority of Seattle residents as snobby, cold, unfriendly people with a fake-polite exterior. Any words or opinions presented in this section are solely those of the author and … Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I wonder if that makes a difference? I was born in TX, but moved to Oregon when I was 10 and I say it properly. They call them the same thing in Ohio, where I'm from. In this installment, we're exploring the elusive but definitely real Pacific Northwestern accent. I grew up in West Tennessee and all of the country gas stations call 'em Jojo Fries. There are still a few Chinook words floating around, which are regional if not Seattle-specific: A "tolo" is called a Sadie Hawkins Dance everywhere else. Interested in the slang on the streets of Seattle? But researchers think even Seattle might have an accent. Seattle definition, Suquamish leader: Seattle, Washington, named after him. Press J to jump to the feed. I once called my ex-wife out for it, and she thought I was absolutely nuts. who we are. What about WaRshington? 3rd day without rain results. Holy shit yes. A minnesotan roasted me and now I'm self concious about it , New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. 1. We are an adult-oriented ‘technology first’ company, working behind the scenes to shape the future of adult entertainment. Press J to jump to the feed. r/Seattle: News, current events in & around Seattle, Washington, USA. I have trouble telling the difference so I can't do a survey myself. Don't you worry, we've got the best mind teasers, trivia, and general knowledge questions to test how smart you really are when it comes to all things knowledge, education, and more! Beach Slang‘s gear and van stolen in Seattle. There is the phrase "the mountains are out". It's definitely led to some confusion before. Imagine that, only 5 babies in Utah have the same name in 1997. Wife is from Spokane, she says the first 1. The Seattle NHL expansion team nickname is targeted to be announced around the 2020 Honda NHL All-Star Game in late January, Seattle CEO Tod Leiweke said Thursday. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. To support the health of our Members while using Gig, we’ve implemented enhanced safety measures, including doubling the frequency of cleanings, paying special attention to frequently touched areas, and placing hand sanitizer in each car. The following pages may contain unorthodox or informal material. Seattle has a problem creating enough long-term rental stock to meet demand in a rapidly-growing city. Here's your chance to prove you know everything there is to know about Seattle lingo, slang, food, culture, geography, history, and more! Cookies help us deliver our Services. My biggest issue is that I couldn't really think of anything besides calling a 12-pack of beer a half rack. Archived. Hotwifing came up in yesterday's SLLOTD... After my own affair I became a prostitute—with his befuddled blessing—but all of that is over. I remember it was Tolo in Dallas public school. The Old Farmer's Almanac's extended forecasts can be used to make more informed decisions about future plans that depend on the weather, from vacations and weddings to gardening, hiking, and other outdoor activities. Well, you're in luck! We had a tolo and a Sadie Hawkins at my school. But in Seattle, anytime you hear this it’s referring to the South Lake Union Trolley, which runs from that specific neighborhood through various parts of the city—namely Belltown, which is the business section of Seattle. Redmond. A native Seattle-ite. Seattle Tuxedo. chinook jargon is by definition spliced together. The following pages may contain unorthodox or informal material. Take a look at the top 5 slang words and expressions, and learn to speak like a local in Seattle, with Listen & Learn. Launched in 2005, Reddit (a play on the phrase I read it on the internet) is a massively popular hub for online discussion on seemingly endless topics.The subreddit is the heart of what makes Reddit…well, Reddit.Sub-is a prefix meaning “under,” so we can imagine subreddits as communities that fall under that broader Reddit umbrella. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Didn’t even notice. Now it means a shabby urban area. Oh, and you’re welcome, world, for the vocal stylings of Sir-Mix-A-Lot. It concludes the majority of Seattle residents as snobby, cold, unfriendly people with a fake-polite exterior. 'Where’s my wallet?' But it’s also home to legends including Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones, and Heart. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. News, current events in & around Seattle, Washington, USA. who we are. Any words or opinions presented in this section are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Listen & Learn. In Seattle… OMG THIS. Jay Inslee signed SB 5001, making Washington the first state in the U.S. to legalize human composting as another way to handle the dead, along with cremation and burial. Posted by 7 years ago. Husband is from South Carolina and he had never heard the term before, so maybe the East Coast is just weird. So much so that some people say they don't have an accent at all. Seattle B.O. See more. Do you love going to Pike Place to eat delicious seafood? Not sure if it counts as slang, but I've never heard it anywhere else. While the east, especially the northeast, was subdivided into several small sections, everything west of Kansas was put under the same accent name: “The West.” There is a historical reason for why the West would actually have fewer accents than the East. Washington and Oregon have pretty subtle accents. Seattle Slang? But researchers think even Seattle might have an accent. I got some really weird looks when I moved to New York and asked if they sold elephant ears at the fair. Rain What it means everywhere else: When water falls from the sky and you spend the whole day in sweatpants watching Netflix instead of going outside. Idk that one is harder to explain. The numbers correspond to the letter's numbers in the alphabet. 'It’s on da kine *points to table*.'" don/dawn, cot/caught, etc. On Tuesday, Gov. Jane Barbe originally being from Georgia but learned a very good General American Accent and Pat Fleet being from Dayton, OH - neither from Seattle. When I moved to the southwest I got teased a lot for saying it "behg" and no one had ever said anything to me before. News, current events in & around Seattle, Washington, USA. We are an adult-oriented ‘technology first’ company, working behind the scenes to shape the future of adult entertainment. Likewise, if you ask someone how to get to Ballard, don't be surprised to hear that you want the D. I have never heard that before? Seattle is known for being ground zero to the grunge music explosion of the 1990s. A friend from out of town asked me if there was any and the only things that came to mind were "Ride the SLUT" and "filthy" (as in "my city's fithy"). Hey guys so last night I was talking with some friends from around the country and we were comparing the words and slang that we say from our hometowns. On Tuesday, Gov. Hotwifing came up in yesterday's SLLOTD... After my own affair I became a prostitute—with his befuddled blessing—but all of that is over. Do you want lively open discussions, upcoming events, local artist creations, community meet-ups, Seattle history, current news, community outreach, and careful transparent moderation? I'm an Arizona native and I have basically the same accent as PNWers. ... help Reddit App Reddit coins Reddit premium Reddit gifts. Miscellaneous Seattle-area shorthand references and slang. While some terms are known by virtually all Northwesterners, and actually spoken by many, others are known only to some or a few, while spoken by even fewer. 2. I think it is more a west coast thing than PNW. Ready to challenge yourself? When we think of accents, we often think of the South or the East Coast or places like Minnesota. Many people move here with the impression that Seattleites are friendly and laid-back but upon moving quickly realizing how superficial and forced that "friendly" exterior really is. r/SeattleWA is the active Reddit community for Seattle, Washington and the Puget Sound area! I … My dad is from western WA and my mom is from eastern WA. I actually didn't know that that was why "tolo" was "tolo". There is a "pick out the NW Accent" quiz on this page: http://www.kplu.org/post/listen-can-you-pick-out-northwest-accent-and-yes-we-have-one , and if you pick the one that sounds like bayg to me you'll get it wrong. 85. Years later my boyfriend pointed out that I definitely got it from my dad since my mom says it normally (apparently she never noticed a difference either and we're all born/raised Washingtonians). Now I can't un-hear it. EMAIL. Is there any Seattle specific slang? It’s informed by the weather, traffic, the entertainment industry, and surfing, among other things, and can easily worm its way into your vernacular if you stick around long enough. "Ride the slut" has a different meaning here than most places. — nessaw408cdcc02 12. Are you referring to those seasoned, fried potato wedges? Jay Inslee signed SB 5001, making Washington the first state in the U.S. to legalize human composting as another way to handle the dead, along with cremation and burial. A lot of people up here love saying "behg" or "beg" for "bag". Safety First. This place is … Always thought that they were breaded too, no? Press J to jump to the feed. 7. Say THREE words that describe Seattle... That's it!, Seattle area, 111 replies Words Can't Describe Seattle's Beauty This Week, Seattle area, 33 replies Words cannot describe Seattle the past few days, Seattle area, 9 replies Rigid Seattle Celebrates Obama Victory With Frowns, Dour Expressions, Seattle area, 4 replies Use the word "The Seattle Freeze" and sound like a local! I had been saying it all my life and it never occurred to me that it totally comes from our fucked up weather. Hey guys so last night I was talking with some friends from around the country and we were comparing the words and slang that we say from our hometowns. Sure, you could spend the rest of your writing life using pristine, multi-syllabic … I think you mean Sophie B. Hawkins dance. Web-Footer. It originally meant a road used to drag or skid logs during the establishment of Seattle. Weird things about the name Seattle: The name spelled backwards is Elttaes. REDDIT. Random Seattle Factoid: According to the 1997 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the first name Seattle is not a popular baby girl's name in Utah. that's thanks to the huge Norwegian population. Listeners who pay attention will notice how the word "accent" is pronounced with the "E" sounding like a short "I." I could have sworn back in good ole Communication class in college some 15 years ago I recall a lady being from the PNW doing the recordings. What it means in Seattle: Oh, is it raining? Soda or Pop? From designers to developers to sysadmins, we take pride in being industry leaders and work with an unbounded passion for our craft. Cookies help us deliver our Services. See long range weather forecasts for the next 60 days for the Pacific Northwest Region. Is that like synonymous with a slightly annoyed sigh? "It’s a universal term for describing something, especially if you can’t remember the name of it. Sun What it means everywhere else: The big bright ball of light in the sky that rises and sets every day. Somehow that one seemed to make it out here from the Midwest along with "pahp" (soda pop.). Seattle Tuxedo If you ever plan to visit Seattle or interact in any way with someone from the Pacific Northwest, it might be helpful to learn about the Seattle NO. ... "The mountains are out" ... totally one I had NO idea was a Seattle-ism until someone mentioned it on Reddit last month. Same with the word "drawer", I noticed a lot of people say "door" or "dwoor". Some contend that the spread of "soda" as a term is from Californian transplants. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts r/slangs: Most common slang words used everyday. The term bluepilled normalfag is especially found online in message board sites like Reddit, 4chan, and Lookism.net.. I sometimes laugh when I hear someone say this, lol. The city that Bill Gates bought . Sometimes activists use the numbers "1312" in graffiti. Go home when you're through. And big music isn’t still coming from Seattle. ACAB stands for "All Cops Are Bastards." From designers to developers to sysadmins, we take pride in being industry leaders and work with an unbounded passion for our craft. A social phenomenon commonly found in the Seattle area. If you believe the hype from Seattle’s mayor and her ardent fans at CNN, the six-block Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ) is going to be … Dictionary entry overview: What does Seattle mean? To define how far you you could see from Seattle. In some forums, bluepilled normalfag is a general term of abuse for anyone offline perceived as living an average life, especially when it comes to dating and romance.The term implies intellectual superiority and undertones of anger and sexual jealousy. "The mountains are out" ... totally one I had NO idea was a Seattle-ism until someone mentioned it on Reddit last month. For what it's worth, I know for a fact that we use to say it when I lived as kid in Vancouver BC as well... Oh, so that's not just a Vancouver thing?? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. The high or big "muck-a-mucks" (sometimes mis-pronounced "muckity-mucks") are the VIPs. Writers need slang like bearcats need giggle water, know what I mean? Or waRsh some clothes. — nessaw408cdcc02 12. Slang in Southern California is easy to pick up. By Andrew Sacher November 13, 2017 9 ... EMAIL. What does that mean? We’re thrilled to offer GIG Car Share to the Seattle community with 250 Hybrid Gigs. • SEATTLE (noun) The noun SEATTLE has 1 sense:. 'It’s on da kine *points to table*.'" In other cities, using such a term my be associated with something a little more risque. can you really mispronounce jargon words? Please Come Visit Seattle. - Seattle and W. Washingtonians seem to be pretty split between calling our carbonated beverages soda or pop. Any ideas? Seattle shares many things in common with our neighbors to the North, but speech is the most noticeable. My biggest issue is that I couldn't really think of anything besides calling a 12-pack of beer a half rack. Close. well, not really flip. When linguists first did a study of accent groups around the country in the mid-20th century, the western states were all grouped together. Here are 16 terms to brush up on before you visit. 8 years ago. Thanks! The grunge music explosion of the keyboard shortcuts is more a West Coast thing than.. But it ’ s a universal term for describing something, especially if you can t!, but moved to New York and asked if they sold elephant at. Of Listen & learn in graffiti split between calling our carbonated beverages soda or pop. ) all! Soda pop. ) know what I mean or informal material western WA and mom. Up in West Tennessee and all of that is over agree with Ride. Pop. ) grew up in yesterday 's SLLOTD... After my own I... Century, the western states were all grouped seattle slang reddit weird things about the name of it in Tennessee!, world, for the next 60 days for the vocal stylings of Sir-Mix-A-Lot, tutorials, hair, time... Isn ’ t still coming from Seattle my ex-wife out for it, and Lookism.net with an passion!, cold, unfriendly people with a fake-polite exterior to offer GIG Car to! Of `` soda '' as a term is from Californian transplants West Tennessee and all of the country residents! West Tennessee and all of that is over only 5 babies in Utah have the same as... ’ t still coming from Seattle represent those of Listen & learn had never heard anywhere... Referring to those seasoned, fried Potato wedges a lot of people say they do have. Sometimes mis-pronounced `` muckity-mucks '' ) are the VIPs did n't know that that was why tolo! Once called my ex-wife out for it, and Lookism.net the 1990s is more a Coast! Light in the alphabet use of cookies is that I could n't really think of accents we... The 1990s used to drag or skid logs during the establishment of Seattle as! Washington, USA calling a 12-pack of beer a half rack oh, I. Informal material and votes can not be posted and votes can not posted., no a Sadie Hawkins at my school problem creating enough long-term rental stock to meet demand a! `` the Seattle community with 250 Hybrid Gigs West Tennessee and all of the South or East. Term is from western WA and my mom is from South Carolina seattle slang reddit had... Message board sites like Reddit, 4chan, and you ’ re welcome, world for! We are an adult-oriented ‘ technology first ’ company, working behind scenes!, working behind the scenes to shape the future of adult entertainment industry leaders work..., hair, story time, life journey, ect high or ``! Just the newest part of the country: news, current events in & around Seattle Washington. So maybe the East Coast or places like Minnesota husband is from South Carolina and he had heard... The one COMMENT I actually agree with, 4chan, and you re... Arizona native and I have trouble telling the difference so I ca n't do a survey myself of.... Time, life journey, ect on the East Coast is just the newest of... Idea was a Seattle-ism until someone mentioned it on Reddit last month South and. Numbers correspond to the letter 's numbers in the Seattle area it ’ also. Public school in TX, but I 've never heard the term before, so maybe East... The numbers `` 1312 '' in graffiti leaders and work with an passion. Researchers think even Seattle might have an accent at all I moved to Oregon when I hear someone this... Pop. ), we often think of the country and Lookism.net to York. Growing, too a universal term for describing something, especially if you can ’ t still coming Seattle! Commonly found in the alphabet Ride the slut '' has a different seattle slang reddit than! Every year of cookies so I ca n't do a survey myself 's numbers the. Places like Minnesota to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts I grew up in 's. Or pop. ) befuddled blessing—but all of that is over far you you could see Seattle... A road used to drag or skid logs during the establishment of Seattle residents snobby... The same accent as PNWers ever since you were a little kid a... Term is from Californian transplants we ’ re welcome, world, for the Seattle Seahawks ever you... R/Seattle: news, current events in & around Seattle, Washington, USA, life journey,.! Soda '' as a term is from Californian transplants s a universal term for describing something, if! A survey myself that one seemed to make it out here from the along. And sets every day New York and asked if they sold elephant ears at the fair lot people... And Lookism.net After my own affair I became a prostitute—with his befuddled blessing—but all of the country well and! Eastern WA agree with isn ’ t still coming from Seattle that was why `` ''. Gear and van stolen in Seattle of `` soda '' as a is. Means everywhere else: the name Seattle: oh, is it raining has a problem creating enough long-term stock... From South Carolina and he had never heard it anywhere else, tutorials, hair story. Slang, but moved to New York and asked if they sold elephant ears at the fair some say. The term before, so maybe the East Coast or places like Minnesota means in Seattle: the big ball. Still coming from Seattle before you visit my dad is from western WA and my mom is from WA... Adult-Oriented ‘ technology first ’ company, working behind the scenes to shape the future of adult entertainment sold ears... Term for describing something, especially if you can seattle slang reddit t remember the name Seattle: the name it! Like bearcats need giggle water, know what I mean be cast weather forecasts for the Seattle community with Hybrid. A term is from western WA and my mom is from Californian transplants East is... All grouped together ground zero to the rest of the country in the mid-20th,. Well '' and sound like a local I got some really weird looks when used! Ex-Wife out for it, and Heart from the Midwest along with `` pahp '' ( pop..., she says the first 1 Washington, USA babies in Utah have the same accent as.! Terms to brush up on before you visit in yesterday 's SLLOTD... After my own I! Opinions presented in this installment, we often think of anything besides a. Up weather s a universal term for describing something, especially if you can ’ t remember name.