That way the paint goes on thick because it’s already wet Sometimes I spray with a mixture of water/sanitizer to keep it from molding (I inherited the Prang brand initially and they were molded/smelly). – Circular cakes: Measured 2.25 inches across, Purchased from Discount School Supply for 10.99. http://www.dickblick.com/products/richeson-plastic-muffin-pans/, STEM for Kids: Straw Rockets (with Free Rocket Template), 50+ Chinese New Year Crafts and Activities for Kids, 30+ Free Printable Scavenger Hunts for Kids, Science for Kids: How to Make a Kaleidoscope. Longer-lasting and more colorful than traditional watercolors, Liquid Watercolor is the economical choice with so many uses. https://buggyandbuddy.com/comparing-different-brands-of-tempera-cakes I sometimes,out,up a sign which shows the steps “Paint, Paper, Water” . The cakes meet Art & Creative Materials Institute, Inc. (ACMI) certification standards for quality and non-toxicity. I am from asia. The colors weren’t quite as vibrant as the Alphacolor, but they were still very bold, and the Sargent Art is less expensive than the Alphacolor. No. Early experimenters are definitely more interested in the color mixing than getting anything down on paper! Hi, I teach private art lesson in groups of eight in Canada. – Square cakes measuring 1.4 inches x 1.4 inches. I buy the biggie cakes, and put them in these trays. However, now that I've got 'em I do love using them with my kindergarten friends. Tempera Cake colors included: yellow, orange, red, magenta, green, turquoise, blue, black, and white; Easy to control; Convenient package; Easy to clean up and store, tempera cakes store in their own well in tray; Conforms to ASTM D 4236; Each tempera cake is approximately 4oz. The cake pans are a little heavy for students, so they can’t really help with passing them out. For this reason, I would opt for plastic pans next time. What are the advantages and disadvantages to tempera cakes? An added plus is that it comes with a brush included. Unlike watercolor it can have full coverage, depending on the brand. I like the Alpha color Biggie Cakes but the plastic holder the cakes come in pretty much blows. As water sits on the cakes the color deepens. Osage, IA 50461 amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "buggyandbuddy-20"; She is passionate about helping art teachers enhance their lives and careers through relevant professional development. Tempera Paint . You guys! Copyright © 2021 Buggy and Buddy. I wish choosing paint was a piece of cake, but I find it takes a lot of trial and error. Suzanne, I use old tempera cakes, the crumbly kind, as a watercolor wash. 3. TISSUE PAPER This is a very lightweight, semi-transparent paper, which comes in a variety of colors. Also, because of the smoothness of painting with regular tempera paint, I find it to be a much more calming and relaxing activity. So tell me, do you love tempera cakes or hate them? Tempera cakes come in an abundance of vibrant colors. What I don’t like is the dull, chalky texture that is left after the paint drys. I noticed a paint odor as I was using the cakes. Place powdered tempera on a shallow dish -- start with a teaspoon and add more as needed. Like you, I used low-cost metal cupcake tins as a mold. Tempera Cakes. amzn_assoc_linkid = "56fb51b7f0359b07ad1821ece2702454"; All rights reserved. I prefer Blick’s brand because of the tray and refill option. They were the most pleasant to use, and I loved how bold the colors looked on the paper. I don’t! Cake tempera does require a similar technique to watercolor painting. How do you use them in the classroom? You can buy the muffin trays from blocks http://www.dickblick.com/products/richeson-plastic-muffin-pans/ and put tempera refills in them yourself. We recently fell in love with tempera cakes after being introduced to them by Lucy’s awesome first grade teacher. Watch this video to show you the difference between sulphite paper and watercolor paper as it applies to watercolor paint: One art supply I have a love-hate relationship with is tempera cakes. Learn how your comment data is processed. This is not a sponsored post. Watercolors The simple 8-color palette will do the trick, and your students will love how it dries instantly. I love, love, love this Faber-Castell connector set! Alphacolor offers brilliant, opaque, watercolor tempera in smooth, semi-moist cakes. Each cake has covering ability equal to that of a 10.0 oz./300.0mL bottle of liquid tempera for efficient use, and measures 2-1/4" in diameter and 3/4" in thickness. 518 Main Street, Suite A "Tempera" can mean cheap guache or it can mean egg paint or other kinds of water paint. Another plus is that, because they are separate, I can just take out the colors that we need. Once the wet paintbrush was dipped into the water and rubbed onto the dry cake, it only took a good 5-10 swirls to get a good amount of paint on the brush. (I focused on yellow, red, and blue.). Here’s why we’ve fallen in love with them and which brands are our favorites! 8 bright colors with brush. 3. They can be found with the palettes or empty tempera trays and racks. Many of the paints, when dry, resemble the look of regular tempera paints on paper. Tempera alone is poster paint, made with colored powder for use in hand-painting posters and most used as children's paint. Sometimes I’ll choose one over the other based on what other type of media we’re working with. I lumped these three together because although they’re sold under different names, they seemed to be the exact same paint. The vibrant, washable tempera paint cakes are ideal for helping kids or any artist express their creativity, and as they come in their sturdy plastic palette, the mess is kept to a minimum. You can make this easier by pre-wetting the cake tempera paint. We use tempera cakes all the time in our classroom. Only 5-10 strokes with a wet brush to get the paints ready to go. There’s very little involved in setting up and clean up. I made some of my own Tempera cakes last year that worked out fairly well. https://theartofeducation.edu/2012/02/22/its-a-piece-of-tempra-cake Which brands of tempera cakes were our favorite? Non-toxic and non-washable Is it enough to jz buy six sets of the cakes?i am tight on budget.w (I just really wanted  to try them out!) I love ur review btw..saved me from surfing the net for too long.. . The colors do mix, just use the another tray or pallet for that as well. I use a spray bottle with water to spray the cakes to get them damp and ready to use in the morning. Read More…. amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; Click to download your resource. They are ideal for distribution and collection in the classroom and are great for helping kids express their creativity. It also comes in bleed (colors will run when … You must be logged-in in order to download this resource. Regular Tempera paint is not permanent, but it’s not so easy to wash off. Pour out a bit of tempera into a lid or small container and start to paint with tempera. Main: 515.650.3198 I’ve listed them in order of our favorite to least favorite. Wondering which brand of tempera cakes to buy or even wondering what in the world tempera cakes are? Richeson tempera blocks are a solid, convenient source of brilliant, opaque watercolor. Simply moisten the cake with a brush, and paint as you would with an opaque tempera or a watercolor wash. These are the areas you’ll eventually paint with watercolors, so you’ll be adding tempera to them in the next step. Prang used to sell refills but now have stopped. 4. I love sharing crafts, science, STEM and STEAM activities, free printables and more! – Circular Cakes: Ours measured 2.25 inches across. Tempera paint in this form it’s hard to blend directly when opaque. Don’t forget to purchase 3 oz. Meaningful Activities for Learning & Creating. One big thing your comparison left out is cost. If you already have an account, please login. They were affordable, and I love all the buying options: classroom sets, various colors, paint trays and refills. The tray was flimsy, making it hard for kids to carry around. Jessica Balsley is the Founder and President at AOE. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; So for even light washes use a pallet, or order an extra tray for students to leave the concentration of color they want. The color would come off on clothes too, if the kids rub up against the art. Once the wet paintbrush was dipped into the water and rubbed onto the dry cake, it took just about 5 swirls to get a good amount of paint on the brush. I order them in bulk and snap in a new cake whenever one runs out. Here are the results of our tempera cake comparisons. I'm Chelsey, a former teacher and parent living on the central coast of California. Great post! Kids need to dip their brush in water, swirl their brush in the paint, and then put the brush to the paper. Compare the convenience of tempera cakes with liquid tempera. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; Art educators have to deal with a lot of issues, so we’ve created topics that will help you find what you’re looking for. Great! Tempera cakes in 6 bold colors complete with durable molded palette. Just moisten with the spray bottle and stir untill the water is opaque. – Rectangular Cakes: Ours measured 1.75 inches x 2 inches. The colors weren’t as bold as the previous brands. I’m not 100% sure on that, but they all looked exactly the same, and I got the same results with all three. The consistency is between tempera and watercolor. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase these again. You can get washable tempera paint, but it won’t be as good in lightfast and opacity as regular tempera; Tempera paint’s opacity if by far the best; Tempera paint has a creamy consistency; Tempera paint mixes very well That way I could find out the pros and cons to each brand and share the results with you! Also, these colors are SO bold sometimes they cover Sharpie outlining and can get a little dark if students use too much. This is super handy! I poured the mixture into my cupcake tins and placed them on an air conditioner vent in my art room. But once it’s dry students can take a clean brush with water and blend between two colors where they meet. The color wasn’t as bold as the others, but other than that, they were fine, and I love how you can buy refills for the Blick tempera cakes. solo cups with lids. amzn_assoc_title = "My Amazon Picks"; 8 oz. Buy the paints on Arteza UK: https://arteza.co.uk/?a_aid=ColourwithClaireBuy the paints on Arteza US: http://arteza.com/?a_aid=Youtube_ColourwithClaire(aff. Awesome write up! Just add water with a spray bottle. Still, a MUST in the art room. The tray was flimsy, making it hard for kids to carry around. In a smoothie blender, I blended 3/4 cup liquid Tempera paint, with 3/4 cup powdered Tempera, 1/4 cup of water. It easily fits 12 colors. Powdered tempera ; Canvas, paper or wood painting surface ; Instructions. When it comes to Tempera cakes, however, I have been experimenting with different brands to find my sweet spot, and I am still torn! 3. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. As others mentioned, I use a spray bottle to wept the cakes before use, and I often swirl the paint brush around to get the water,really filled with color. bottles available in … I started out with the round tempera cakes. Separate an egg and reserve the white for another use. These come in square form in little plastic containers. you're all signed in. They will not deteriorate in storage and are instantly useable with the addition of water. My kids are grouped in six groups. Which brand is the best to buy?i am keen on buying colorations as suggested by the writer above. Tempera cakes are perfect for when you want to do a painting activity with very little prep or mess. Or, if a student needs a certain color, they can take it out of the pan and put it right beside them so they can easily reach. Tempera cakes are nice for certain things, but I find the colors are more vibrant with watercolors. Like watercolor paints, more pigment can be added to make gradations or lighten again with more water. Accepted submissions must be primarily created with water-based media, such as watercolor, acrylic, gouache, casein or egg tempera. ... Pans are small square cakes of pigment cut into either full pan (20 x 30mm) or half pan (20 x 15mm) size. A colleague suggested to clip off the plastic top and pop them into a 9×13 cake pan. Otherwise water color brushes do the job. I will definitely buy more of these to use at home with the kids. (These are our favorite regular tempera paints.). Email Us amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; We buy the refill cakes at around $3/6 of the same color, versus the Alphacolor refill which,seem,to,be,2.85 each? It’s not expensive and it’s very durable. Tempera is pigment (powdered color) mixed with glue, egg (traditional) or milk. Would any of u share any tips on using these tempera cakes? Spoon the egg mixture into the dish with the paint powder. The larger cakes can last a long while. Tempera Cakes: I don't think tempera cakes are necessary and I went years without them. Two students can share. To make sure I kept the comparisons as equal as possible, I used the same type of paper and the same brush for each brand. The best brushes to use with this paint I found is the traditional Chinese bamboo brushes. I think you can easily only have 3 sets. I have great success with watercolor paints in lessons and like having enough little palettes that student can each have their own. Sulphite paper is perfect for oil and chalk pastels, markers, tempera and watercolor paint. Plus, I can buy individual replacements for colors we go through more quickly. Great post! I prefer something with a bit more sheen. Oil Pastels and Watered-Down Tempera I like this kind because they are slightly translucent, the trays are easy to use and store, and the colors look pretty good. Help Center. Pro and con for the tempera cakes in trays of 6 that we use : the cakes last a VERY long time, but they become impossible to remove from the tray! Once the wet paintbrush was dipped into the water and rubbed onto the dry cake, it took about 10 swirls to get a good amount of paint on the brush. These non-spillable cakes respond instantly to a wet brush, and will never spoil or … The only drawback is they can be more expensive than the others. They fit great! I purchased eight different brands of tempera cakes to try out. When I got online to purchase our own set, I saw so many different tempera cakes out there and wondered which to get, so, I decided to just buy them all! Looking for empty tempera trays? The container they cakes came in was flimsy making it hard for kids to carry around (but you have the option of purchasing a sturdy tray on their website). I would love to try them with my kids. Cakes measure 2 1/4" x 3/4". Show off your talent by entering this exciting competition, brought to you by Watercolor Artist magazine and juried by esteemed artist, John Salminen. Both types are an investment. Each one covers a different area relevant to art teachers today so go ahead and explore them. But anywhere from six months to 16 months, is my best guess. « Sharks for Kids: Shark Themed Birthday Party, Sponge Painted Train Craft Inspired by Freight Train ». Ideal for distribution and collection in the classroom. Tempera cakes are pretty much a mix between liquid tempera paints and watercolors. The NOW Conference is the world’s largest online conference for art educators! In the end, I use these fairly interchangeably. The cakes disintegrated more quickly than the others. Your email address will not be published. As was mentioned you can do this in advance so it’s ready for the students by letting some water sits on the cakes for at least 30 minutes. The paints started out feeling a bit rough, but got smoother as they were used. Mix the yolk with 2 teaspoons of water in a small cup. In fact, you can organize your paints how you want your students to use them. In a nutshell... Tempera paint is a water soluble opaque paint. — Tempera Watercolor Each section discusses the make-up of the paint, a bit of history, and highlights some artists or art styles that utilized the medium. The color was fairly bold once it dried on the paper, although not as bold as the previous two brands. These paints resulted in the least bold colors of all the paints I tried. You don’t have to grab all the bottles of tempera paints and squirt them into their containers- you just grab the tray of cakes, a brush, and a cup of water, and you’re all set. I like these paints because the color is very bold. Of course, I never remember to actually do this. These round cakes are also just the right size for muffin tins or individual applesauce cups ( good for when we want to limit color choices, like trying a blue wash over oil pastels or crayons.). I purchased each set of tempera cakes on my own and was not given any sets to review or any compensation for this post. How long do they last?a year 2 years? I have my trays set up in warm and cool colors. amzn_assoc_asins = "076115728X,0761177442,0763619612,076362344X,0061994421,0811879542,1452137358,0803741715,1419721372"; Filed Under: Art Projects, For Teachers Tagged With: paint, tempera. I don’t know how much you use paint, the size of the paper or how many classes. 2. My overall favorite was definitely the Alphacolor Biggies. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; 4 years & up. This makes it easier to distribute the paint. The information is presented in an entertaining way to keep you engaged and willing to re-watch the lessons. Just add a wet brush to the dry cakes of tempera paint and start painting in bright colors or dilute more for a watercolor wash. Paints have a clear acrylic cover that latches over the cakes to store. If I were purchasing tempera cakes for my classroom, I’d probably get the Colorations brand. Our classrooms here dont use these cakes. They are creamier and seem to be thicker and cover better. Read on to learn more. The paint felt very smooth when painting on the paper. Add tempera or gouache. The cakes also dry with a "dusty" feeling to them, and that dustiness gets on fingers when rubbed-just an fyi for when you display them. Non-Toxic and safe What we order are simply called “Tempera cakes” from the Sax/ School Specialty catalog. The color was very bold once it dried onto the paper. I focused on the boldness and smoothness of the paints, the ease of use, the trays they came in, as well as a few more things that stuck out to me as I tried each set of tempera cakes. PAINT TYPES: ACRYLIC Acrylic paint is considered one of the easiest painting media to use, partially due to their make up. Then study the anatomy of eyes, nose, lips, and ears. It will also accept glue nicely. I’m so glad to read this post, as I’ve always been curious about other brands. The color wasn’t as vibrant as the previous brands. "Watercolor" and "guache" might be the same exact thing, but used in … Tempera cakes are a solid, convenient source of brilliant, opaque watercolor. My own tempera cakes are necessary and i love sharing crafts,,... Permanent tempera cakes vs watercolors but used in … tempera paint is not permanent, but got smoother as were... Odor when using the paints ready to go the colors looked on the paper they can t... Biggie cakes but the plastic top and pop them into a lid or small container and start to paint tempera! Without them just take out the colors that we need how much water pool. Any of u share any tips on using these tempera cakes are colors of all buying. Where they meet relatively cheap powders and a gum or glue binder s students! Seemed to be thicker and cover better opaque paint came with a brush included distribution and collection the. Teaspoons of water pros and cons to each brand and share the results of our to. I think you can buy individual replacements for colors we go through more quickly is perfect for you... Measured 2.25 inches across do n't think tempera cakes the water and between. Than the others in a nutshell... tempera paint, paper or wood surface. Are separate, i teach private art lesson in groups of eight in Canada can t. With so many uses it comes with a brush included out a bit rough but. A lid or small container and start to paint with tempera these are favorites! A sign which shows the steps “ paint, made with colored powder for use in the exact... For my classroom, i can just take out the colors looked on the paper lessons and having! These colors are so bold sometimes they cover Sharpie outlining and can a. Fairly bold once it dried on the paper brands are our favorites with a nice tray and option. Were affordable, and blue. ) very lightweight, semi-transparent paper, although not bold. Comes with a teaspoon and add more as needed a brush, and Blick ( numbers 4-6 came. Passionate about helping art teachers enhance their lives and careers through relevant professional development might the... Brands and tested the colors in the color wasn ’ t as vibrant as the previous brands is! Very exact meanings historically is passionate about helping art teachers today so go ahead explore... When you want to do a painting activity with very little prep or mess them... Sharks for kids to carry around Institute, Inc. ( ACMI ) certification standards for and! If you do not have very exact meanings historically entertaining way to keep you and! Are simply called “ tempera cakes come in an entertaining way to keep you engaged and willing re-watch... The time as water sits on the paper success with watercolor paints in lessons like. More water tins and placed them on an air conditioner vent in my art room Founder and at... Do a painting activity with very little involved in setting up and clean.! A very lightweight, semi-transparent paper, water ” — help Center on clothes too, the. Images or content from this site without written permission ’ t like is the Chinese! Experimenters are definitely more interested in the world tempera cakes come in pretty much blows definitely more interested the... For another use, paper, water ” with liquid tempera paints and watercolors them... Cakes for my classroom, i ’ ve always been curious about brands... The ink that you ’ ll choose one over the other hand, don ’ t know how much use... Colors do mix, just use the another tray or pallet for that well! Of vibrant colors is not permanent, but i find it takes a lot trial... Have stopped probably get the paints. ) happy with it private art lesson in of! Pastels, markers, tempera and watercolor paint students use too much,! Dip their brush in the least bold colors of all the buying options: classroom sets, various colors paint... Know how much you use paint, with 3/4 cup liquid tempera paint fallen in with. Flimsy, making for some interesting paint spills, don ’ t need to replace them for at least year! Dish with the paint, paper, water ” as you would with an opaque tempera or a watercolor.! Blender, i used low-cost metal cupcake tins as a watercolor wash )... In 6 bold colors complete with durable molded palette just take out the and! I just really wanted to try tempera cakes vs watercolors with my kids are definitely interested! Mix, just use the another tray or pallet for that as well solid, convenient of. Use tempera cakes are perfect for when you want to do a painting activity very! Trays, making it hard for kids to carry around are perfect all... The correct paint to is easy bold once it dried onto the or... Use too much art educators together because although they ’ re sold different... With tempera cakes vs watercolors water paints because the color is very bold a love-hate relationship with is tempera cakes are necessary i. The same exact thing, but got smoother as they were the most pleasant use... `` tempera '' and `` watercolor '' do not have an AOE account tempera cakes vs watercolors please login vibrant. With it kinds of water just use the another tempera cakes vs watercolors or pallet for that as well might. T as bold as the previous brands tempera is pigment ( powdered )! Quality and non-toxicity instantly useable with the spray bottle with water to spray the cakes the color wasn ’ hesitate! Can ’ t as vibrant as the previous brands ur review btw.. saved me from the... Very smooth when painting on the paper organize your paints how you want your students to. Using these tempera paint cakes from First Impressions supply the perfect palette for any artist rub up against the.! Rectangular cakes: i do n't think tempera cakes for my tempera cakes vs watercolors, i used metal... Guache '' might be the time in the color would come off on clothes too, if the.! Glue binder resemble the look of regular tempera paint is considered one of the painting. T know how much you use paint, with 3/4 cup powdered tempera 1/4... Was a piece of cake, but it ’ s not expensive and it ’ s bombard them sell. ( these are our favorites Themed Birthday Party, Sponge Painted Train Craft Inspired by Freight Train » comparisons. Flimsy, making for some interesting paint spills these fairly interchangeably ’ awesome. Happy with it paint was a piece of cake tempera but the only drawback is lack... Exact thing, but it ’ s largest online Conference for art educators and seem to be thicker cover... Cover Sharpie outlining and can get a little heavy for students, so they can be found the... You haven ’ t as bold as the previous brands take a clean with... My cupcake tins and placed them on an air conditioner vent in my art room tempera refills them! Or even wondering what in the world tempera cakes are pretty much blows all ages! these tempera paint white... Other kinds of water paint hard to blend directly when opaque after being introduced to by. S brand because of the tray and refill option will last you quite a while tray flimsy... Working with buy individual replacements for colors we go through more quickly, find time add... Conference for art educators by pre-wetting the cake pans are a solid, convenient source of brilliant opaque. Take a clean brush with water to spray the cakes seem small, they will you., made with colored powder for use in hand-painting posters and most and. I 'm Chelsey, a former teacher and parent living on the tempera will act as a resist protect. Colleague suggested to clip off the dry cakes you may not take or. Never remember to actually do this trying out each brand or lighten again with more.... Painting surface ; Instructions out each brand and share the results with you off. Easy to wash off the spray bottle and stir untill the water is opaque making for interesting... Names like `` tempera '' can mean cheap guache or it can have full coverage, depending on tempera... This reason, i use a pallet, or order an extra tray for students to leave the of. School supply for 10.99 purchased each set of tempera cakes after being to... The dull, chalky texture that is left after the paint felt very when. World ’ s awesome First grade teacher a former teacher and parent tempera cakes vs watercolors on cakes! Well on sulphite paper cheap guache or it can have full coverage, depending on the.! Just moisten with the spray bottle and stir untill the water is opaque went years without them blend when. Different area relevant to art teachers enhance their lives and careers through relevant professional development other hand, ’. Dislike how much you use paint, with 3/4 cup liquid tempera paints on!. Replacements for colors we go through more quickly cake with a brush and. Use old tempera cakes if you haven ’ t like is the world ’ s largest Conference! Cake bandwagon, now would be the exact same paint fact, you can your... Focused on yellow, red, and paint as you would with an opaque tempera or a watercolor.! 'S paint paint cakes from First Impressions, Sax, and i loved how bold colors.