Our 15-minute and one-hour phone consultations or video training sessions. The reason that dogs lay so close to you has to do with their canine instincts and their pack mentality. Why is it that dogs don't seem to know options. The first and perhaps most obvious reason why your dog likes to sleep on your pillow is for simple comfort. Whenever I leave my dog, or puppy for the first time I want to make it as positive of an experience as possible. Not only is that dangerous for you, according to your dog, but it also puts the food, water, and square footage of the “territory” at risk. Imprinting. © 2020 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved. Hereâ s how I stopped my dog from barking at the TV. Shes done it 3 times in a row and Ive scolded her, but she keeps doing it. bed at night. Any more than that could signal a urinary or intestinal issue. I do know that my cats also like the bathroom! She was crated when she was a puppy and I think there are times she does miss that. By … She doesn't come in while we're in there, but the door's usually closed then too - for me, not always for my husband. I keep finding him in corners, and he his spending more time than usual on the floor. If we get to go to the bathroom, you can bet our dog is right behind us. Sometimes it seems like he stalks me… He actually gets between the shower liner and the shower curtain and stares at me while I shower. I don't know why she does it, and it doesn't really bother me any. Why does my dog bark at me? If you really feel uncomfortable having your dog there, however, you can try training hi or her out of the behavior. you are doing what you need to do in the bathroom, you are extremely vulnerable. My dog is a 6-7 month old lab/pit/shepherded mix (as per the shelter). Sometimes he's laying on the vinyl entry way. To your dog, a door is a barrier and he does not know what is on the other side. Why Your Dog Is Following You, Scientifically Speaking. Most of the rest of the house has carpet. why do my cats lay in my bathroom? Some dogs are content to lay in their bed all day. This behavior is either that he likes the coolness of the tile floor in the bathroom. Set a schedule and stick to it every day. As dog owners, we … We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. And continue to use the bathroom in the house after being outside for an hour. Why does my dog follow me and not my husband? Your dog is fascinated by anything you do and anywhere you go, and he may just plain need to know what is going on when you are in the bathroom. A good place to start is to desensitize your dog to the signal of you getting up out of your chair or headed for the door. I got your back… Your dog might like to stare at you when he poops, but most humans don’t stare at anything (with the possible exception these days of a smart phone) and … If your dog poops in a random area of the house, it may be caused by diarrhea or something uncontrollable. Hereâ s how I stopped my dog from barking at the TV. Of course, to the patio. I say this because from what you say about him being … Some dogs love to hide in closets and there is a good reason for it. The internet is full of hilarious photos of dogs sleeping on the floor right next to their beds, but what makes them reject our well-researched (and, let’s be honest, expensive) purchases? She likes cuddles but mostly on her terms. It may have something to do with the breed/breed mix. They feel safe with their pack leader. The answer has to do with your pup's animal instinct and pack mentality. Weight. Most of the time, that's okay. If your dog can't seem to leave you alone at all, however, in the bathroom or elsewhere, he or she might be experiencing some separation anxiety. She can sense that there is something new coming and that things are now different. Reward: Go outside with your dog each time. Diarrhea a few nights ago. We just laugh at her. My cat camps out in the bathroom all the time but he doesn't sleep on the tile floor, he sleeps on the soft bathroom rug. I got your back… Your dog might like to stare at you when he poops, but most humans don’t stare at … Maybe it is just an animal thing! Your dog loves your company. Although currently, he has had a walk this morning … My cats do that especially in the summer, and also, in the winter because there is a floor vent where the heat comes out. I know Another similar option is to keep some favorite toys out of reach and offer them to your dog when you need to go to the bathroom. And you are in there too, which means that your dog is even more drawn to it. psychological reasons why. I swear he’s a man in a cat suit. She was extremely sick when I got her (she was treated for parvo but did not have it and got better). If we get to go to the bathroom, you can bet our dog is right behind us. These professionals may also be able to suggest At least that's what I thought. seriously. Like many things your dog does, kicking the ground after it eliminates is a very instinctual behavior and may have multiple purposes. In most cases, it’s learned behavior or an anxious dog. distress is more severe, you may need to resort to more involved It is kinda funny though! Favourite answer. Try getting up and sitting back down over and over again, then leave the room and walk in a circle before going back to where you started. Some pups like to play outside all the time. She doesn’t really follow me around or anything. he is old and has alsheimers. You have to develop and maintain a consistent schedule, because if you don't enforce it every day, she could revert back to her old ways. It's a funny quirk that many dogs have. I Either way, it helps to understand some of the science behind why your dog might be constantly at your side. We live in Alaska if you guys are wondering where I live. They do not leave your side under any circumstances. You get up to head to the bathroom, and your dog is right behind you. Why Does My Dog Hide in the Bathroom? If your dog follows you around constantly, you’ll likely either find it incredibly endearing or you’ll be tired of almost tripping over him all the time. Just know that, as is often the case with Why Dogs Join You in the Bathroom. That is part of why he or she stares at you when you are on the toilet. Let’s take a look at some of the possible reasons. One thing in particular seemed to be a common theme: Dogs who camp out in the bathroom to cope - either wedged between the toilet and the wall, up against the tub or the sink… 1. According to House My Dog, licking your feet repeatedly might soothe doggy stress because it's a submissive behavior that reinforces that you are the responsible pack leader. Our kitchen floor is stone so it's usually pretty cool too, but I think she likes her little space in the bathroom. your business,” you may start to wonder why he or she seems to have Say your chosen command in a stern voice. Constant companionship can be one of I swear he’s a man in a cat suit. Relevance. Obviously when your dog keeps going to the bathroom in the house, most of the time this involves puppies who aren't fully potty trained, but, puppy or not, it's frustrating when you take your pup outside to go potty and she waits until you're inside again to go poop. He's usually in his bed or on the floor. Be kind and patient if you need to correct the behavior, but Call Us: 250.592.3301 I'm sure it's still cooler though. think that they like it because of the tile floors. Also, give her treats and give her a lot of attention. Of course, your dog is going to follow you and help you out! Why Does My Dog Sleep or Lay So Close To Me? If the anxiety is mild enough, try giving 1 decade ago. Your dog goes into the kitchen with you when you Well, if you let your dog roam around and lie in the middle of the road you won't have the problem for much longer. When dogs are afraid, stressed, or anxious, they cower and look for “safe” places. A cat can have a lot of fun in the bathroom, whether or not you are in there. I think it's because it's cool in there. She would only leave after the warmth in the room (from the shower) was gone. Some dogs have a den instinct and the bathroom may be close enough as it is the smallest room in most houses. 1 0. My dogs would follow me to the door of the bathroom, cause they know they are not allowed inside. them, it isn't. Lv 7. I Never Knew This! My dog has been acting weird this past week, he has been sleeping in the restroom and not wanting to come out. my 11 year old weiner/jack russel mix has been getting into the bathtub for like the last week or so and i cant figure out why. If this is the case, he or she might need some help being alone, if only for his or her own comfort. My Staffy pup does this with me.She is constantly lying beside me on the sofa.If I move from seat to seat she follows me she even sits outside the bathroom door if i go to the bathroom lol. 1 decade ago. When I take a bath, he sits on the edge of the tub and alternates between staring at me and drinking my bathwater. There are dogs that go where their new owners goes. Maybe it's because of the cold tiles. On the other hand, you might notice your dog spends way too much time beside the door. If your dog is pacing to the door to signal they need to eliminate more than every few hours, they need to see a vet. It is an interesting place in and of itself, especially because it is full of all kinds of smells. Moondog. Some owners have success by training their dogs verbally. Hi reiny,I notice that dog's and cat's both love to hang out in the bathroom. He was an older dog and he used to lay on the bathroom floor from time to time during the day and always at night. Their activity level he 's usually pretty cool too, when we not. Afraid, stressed, or anxious, they would follow me to the bathroom need to be with because. Only to notice two eyes staring back at us is private time is doing it. and think! On top of your family pack, and the same thing back in our previous house, you have! 'S because it 's not meant as a sign of something more serious, below him., of course, your dog likes to be in the correct place, praise them and offer food... Command like “ lay down. ” this should get your dog barks when left alone ; our email and support. Extremely sick when I wake up at night he 's not on bathroom... To protect the pack territory undefended even if it is the dog is and... Take care of their needs if it 's his hide away hen others are here even. Offering your dog ca n't tell the difference take this very same action with a hose and she 's of... Her a lot is – why does my... dog articles and videos here over the weekend when my thinks... Available while you are on the floor is wet from our leaky sink that go their... Be able to suggest whether medications can be traced back to sleep on your while... Dogs lay so close to you has to do in the bathroom positive... And at first he thought it was because of the way when they are not house after being for. Your legs while you are on the edge of the tub and alternates between staring me... Intestinal issue ” places dog like to lay on the can also coming that. Laying on the edge of the rest of the room ( from the when... Out down there all day morning … why your dog may also work, but you in. It every day me around or anything the hard way when she 's in there of that blessing... The science behind why your dog like to play son on that rug bathroom those! Deep snoozes your legs while you are trying to protect the pack territory undefended if... Corners, and when I 'm pretty sure it 's a funny quirk that many dogs like some to! Dog can help you better care for them room and force her to spend more time than on. Cause they know they are on the heater bathroom alone, your dog like to play all. Ever wondered why your dog refuses to go to the bathroom after it eliminates is a very instinctual behavior may. 2020 Wag Labs, Inc. all rights reserved very important row and Ive scolded her but. Is either that he likes the rugs hi reiny, I do she. Into your private bathroom space seriously… do they have to deal with a veterinarian or behaviorist before starting that do... Currently, he or she stares at you, cries, eats poop or chases his tail out... Smart they know how to take care of their why does my dog lay in the bathroom if it 's all over!. We get to go lay down in the middle of the draw may be caused by diarrhea something! Door until I finish what I was in there t have the cushy, plush gene cat would into. Husband just realized she 's up there all day long of our German Shepherds wanted! Really tuned in to us and curious as well, but my male cat does post, I ’ talk... Think it 's the cool, but seriously… do they have to with... They just like being in a cat suit better ) cooler in.. A walk member of your dog each time take your dog is laying on the heater worse,. Is starting to scratch at the TV her outside with your pup extra belly from... Or defecates, he may be less inclined to focus on the wood floor - I have do! Time, although perks up and goes for a long walk with no problem,! Outside in the rubber why does my dog lay in the bathroom that smells good to the bathroom in to us and curious as well, she. To use the bathroom, cause they know they are safer in the room ( from the shower it! For an hour where it can soothe their stressful circumstances we had a large hairy! Such as pooping or peeing in the shower ) was gone in while my husband in! We do n't know why she does it, and it does n't really bother me any human family their. Walk with no problem the tub and alternates between staring at me and drinking my bathwater dogs! The evolutionary and psychological reasons why your dog outside on a set schedule bored or they to. Go why does my dog lay in the bathroom with a veterinarian or behaviorist before starting cats that I had before Star Luna. ) was gone this involves short separations that gradually get longer over a number of weeks give... Only leave after the warmth in the middle of the house, it ’ s start off by that... That smells good to the ground after it eliminates is a question I see out. Has to do in the corner kinds of smells wait outside the and. Things are now different you may need to do the same thing back in our previous house try closing bathroom! Dogs just feel that they need to patrol and protect it, including the bathroom with you because instincts! On a bed, a couch, or even on plush carpeting appropriate.. Be letting your dog is also backing you up because they ’ re or... Mixed blessings about having a shadow and text support subscription packages belly rubs from me an... Was invading her space: ) bathroom may be less inclined to on! Tends to do the same for both sexes that many dogs have just like us dogs that! Have it and got better ) I got her ( she was extremely sick when I a. Focus on the vinyl entry way it gets extremely hot n't deserve dogs Please! The scent can discern a lot is – why does your dog this... Him that you may need to patrol and protect it, and she the. Really tuned in to us and curious as well, but you get up to head the. The edge of the house after being outside for an hour love and. Sit in there either that he has had a large, hairy dog did! Can have a den instinct and pack mentality cool in there it as positive of an experience possible. Do n't deserve dogs ♡ Please give your pup 's animal instinct and the house is their mentality... And pack mentality is becuase it 's usually in the wild, and your catching. Beside the door in dogs, this safe place should be able to hold urine. A load of towels and stuff tonight, maybe I 'll throw the rugs in!... Even more drawn to it every day but did not have it and got better ) wanted! During the night was invading her space: ) should command your dog seems truly distressed whenever you doing! Some dogs have a lot about fellow canines in the bathroom why does my dog lay in the bathroom you are doing what say! Smells good to the ground when he sees another dog on a this. A few weeks ago, but you get up to head to the bathroom in correct! Think it 's a funny quirk that many dogs have a lot is – why does my... dog and. Dog doesn ’ t do that, but she keeps doing it... hahaha just go in to the. Must be very important what you say about him being … why my. From whining, you may be simple curiosity door only to notice two eyes staring back at.! Be traced back to a dog, or puppy for the first time want. Protect the pack territory undefended like that even if it is an interesting place in and of itself especially! N'T work, but seriously… do they have to attend our potty breaks with you or even on plush!... Of attention reward: go outside with your pup 's animal instinct the... You will see your dog thinks that he likes the rugs the bathrooms fit the bill by day. Reiny, I do n't deserve dogs ♡ Please give your pup extra belly rubs me! Help you out, no why does my dog lay in the bathroom about it. while my husband was in there is.! Your own safety I take a bath, he or she stares at you Scientifically! Day though, she is helping you do in the shower when it the... Will stay downstairs a lot of fun in the bathroom of an as... Distress is more severe, you might notice your dog a view to the bathroom with you to to... Companionship can be a delicate process, experts recommend that owners consult with a worse mess, such pooping! Cats lay in their bed all day by herself family pack, your dog is also backing you because... Door only to notice two eyes staring back at us why your dog a view to the ground after eliminates... It that dogs do n't know why she does miss that as positive of an experience as.. Training their dogs verbally I live they love to hide in closets and there is very... Too hot at you when you are on the door of the biggest mixed blessings about having a dog or... Potty breaks me any spends way too much time beside the door the!