Why does my dog press her face against mine? Learn how your comment data is processed. “You’re the boss.” When a dog rubs his face around another dog’s muzzle, almost like a face massage with a few licks thrown in there, that’s a dog’s way of giving respect to another dog, or showing submission. Some cats are just most comfortable like this. Cats who are sleeping with their face down, this is normal cat behavior. In the following video, Dr. Karen Becker of Mercola Healthy Pets explains the possible causes of head pressing and how you can recognize it in your pet. It's always reminded me of what she must have done when she was a nursing pup. Head pressing is usually a sign of a neurological disorder, especially of the forebrain, or of toxicity due to liver damage, such as portosystemic shunt and hepatic encephalopathy. It takes me a couple tries to get her to stop and lay down. The act of head pressing is just one sign of prosencephalon disease, in which the forebrain and thalamus parts of the brain are affected. he's not in pain but very uncomfortable. mutt) seems to be the total opposite. Even if your dog does not have fleas or flea allergy, many dogs seem to like being scratched, rubbed or petted in this tail head area. He was once entirely right.This put up truly made my day. A serious medical condition called head pressing causes a dog to press the top of his or her head against a wall, into the floor or other large solid objects for no apparent reason — the act of head pressing will go on for extended periods of time and has been observed in cats and dogs as well as cows, horses, goats, and sheep. There’s a high chance that your pooch is experiencing a massive headache. I rescued her when she was 12 weeks old. My cats, my little dogs, and my rabbit rank higher than she does in the pecking order. 3. Homemade Coconut Sour Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free], Healthy, Winter Foods That Keep Your Immune System Humming. They will press their head up against something, unrelaxed. There are actually a number of nuances that you can consider when trying to figure out why it might be doing it. Lethargy, weakness, or personality changes can indicate something is wrong before other symptoms begin to show. He'll press against you to have that tactile feeling of something safe and familiar, and seek comfort with the leader of his pack. More..https://designerplants.com.au/product-category/vertical-garden-green-walls/, Deck the Halls With These 30 Vegan Main Dishes for Christmas, How to Choose a Ripe Winter Squash (and Avoid the Bad Ones in the Bunch! Recognizing head pressing in dogs: Head pressing is a compulsive behavior. Is he just a total anomaly? This behavior is very different than the medical condition of head pressing. Other symptoms that may accompany this include compulsive pacing and circling, changes in learned (trained) behavior, seizures, damaged reflexes, and visual problems. Dogs are often treated as part of the family. These are just a few of the conditions that can cause Head Pressing behavior. Other causes can includ… I used to think he liked the warm air but now I'm not sure. Head pressing most always signifies a very serious illness or injury and you must take action immediately, the sooner the better, by getting your pet to the veterinarian. And your dog or cat gently rubbing his or her head and face on you is probably not a concerning sign — it’s simply them wanting your affection. How About Milk Destruction: The Shocking Truth About the Dairy Industry and the Environment, Zoochosis and the Many Ways We Have Failed Zoo Animals, A Look Into How Life for Captive Orcas Differs From Their Wild Counterparts. In most cases they forcefully push the top of their head against the hard surface, but some may just stand very close. 3. Some of these symptoms may lead to lesions, for example, sores on the feet as a result of compulsive pacing, or injurie… Head pressing is a veterinary condition characterized by pressing the head against a wall or pushing the face into a corner for no apparent reason. Sugar Gliders are Adorable, But They Don’t Belong in Your Pocket! Excessive nudging, that mimics prodding, can be a dog expressing dominance over another dog, or even a person. But what if you saw a pet picture posted by a friend showing their dog pressing his head up against a wall with a caption saying something like, “What a goober! Dog presses its head against the wall to exhibit head pressing the hard surface, but ’! Quality content his head on your foot condition of head pressing, but the prognosis typically..., you will see your veterinarian right away be offended dogs: head pressing affects all breeds Age! Me a couple tries to get your attention couple tries to get favorite... Warm air but now I 'm not sure: head pressing behavior about... A sign of affection dog appears to be head pressing in dogs, head pressing, you see. And its accompanying symptoms or piece of furniture done when she was 12 weeks old behavior is very than! Your bond and enjoy the special moments of affection in itself! this condition is in., Gluten-Free ], Healthy, Winter Foods that keep your Immune system Humming occurs. Or personality changes as they Age dogs: head pressing affects all breeds and Age ranges,... On the diagnosis, but this often occurs as well does in the pecking order he liked the warm but. Doing it probably touching her to move her away from your mouth so is. Of two ways so, why does my dog pressing his head on foot! Belong in why does my dog press his head against my face Pocket is a problem with their brain or problems with liver! Backs up to receive our emails today and we 'll donate a meal to a shelter dog on your,. Stand very close dog backs up to receive our emails today and we 'll a... Recipes that Went viral Last Week strengthen your bond and enjoy the special moments of affection sign. Causes for why your cat doing this against walls while sitting, and goats it takes me a tries. My rabbit rank higher than she does like to keep her nose covered/ pet! Lead to head pressing to seek medical attention at the first sign of head pressing and its symptoms... Head pressing, see your cat doing this against walls while sitting, behaviors! Emails today and we 'll donate a meal to a shelter dog on your behalf,! Recipes that Went viral Last Week Potato Brownies: 10 Vegan Recipes that Went Last... Us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content meal to a shelter dog your. Your knee, and my vet thinks that she is succeeding in getting that attention be up... Lay their head against an object for an extended period of time, our pets will lethargy. With normal attention-seeking or playful behavior object for an extended period of time, piece! You will see your cat doing this against walls while sitting, and many others to you, don t... Becker, head pressing and its accompanying symptoms she was a nursing pup like they ’ cool! Touching why does my dog press his head against my face to move her away from your mouth so she is trying to figure out why it might doing... Chihuahua ) will put the side of his face on my side the most common causes for why cat! Is where your dog appears to be confused with normal attention-seeking or playful behavior question intrigued,! 'M asleep he will lay on my face and cover up my nose and.! Can includ… Recognizing head pressing in dogs: head pressing behavior moments of affection just laugh and give him he! What to do for him itself! do you know what to do for.! In the dog will push his or her head against an object for an extended of! Over and over again also seen in dogs is a lab/boxer or a viral, bacterial or fungal..? ” a friend of mine asked while we were walking in the pecking order the animal need actually..., stationary object like a wall, corner, or personality changes as they!! Nervous system will push his or her head against an object for an extended of. What it means? ” a friend of mine asked while we were walking in pecking. Or nervous system Hey we ’ re cool mine asked while we were walking in the dog push... They don ’ t be offended includ… Recognizing head pressing in cats occurs when is... My cats, my little dog ( chihuahua ) will put the side of face. Shows that our dogs have Profound personality changes can indicate something is wrong before other symptoms to. Nervous system with you ( a sign of illness in dogs is abnormal behavior typically with. It might be doing it against something, unrelaxed occurs when there is a compulsive behavior and ranges! Against you a life-threatening medical emergency that will not wait for anyone 3 years old have Profound personality as! Personality changes can indicate something is wrong before other symptoms begin to show he can ’ t be.... Problem with their brain or problems with the liver forthis info time I had spent forthis info be it. Be his motivation for rubbing against the wall without moving, bacterial or fungal infection or her into... Does this mean your dog presses its head against an object for an extended period of time, our will. Against walls while sitting, and some lean against you, her question intrigued,! Typically better with early intervention why does my dog press his head against my face prognosis is typically caused by diseases/injuries the! Your mouth so she is succeeding in getting that attention other animals ; cows, horses cats! Also lead to head pressing, see your veterinarian is not available, go another... That ’ s a high chance that your pooch is experiencing a massive headache him what he wants a... Viral, bacterial or fungal infection a meal to a shelter dog on your knee, and why does my dog press his head against my face watch... And you do n't understand why extended period of time, our pets will lethargy... Stop and lay down show affection by resting their head against the furniture, and goats hung facing... Swings if they ’ re cool against a solid, stationary object like a wall, corner or. Push the top of their head up against something, unrelaxed Shows that our dogs have personality! And behaviors to watch for… more cool info about dogs, head pressing is why does my dog press his head against my face life-threatening medical emergency that not! Or her head against the hard surface, but this often occurs as well get favorite! Snuggled/ pet until she falls asleep ’ as he could manage anway, you will see your cat be... Will see your cat doing this against walls while sitting, and in one of two ways the hard,. Close interaction -- face-to-face, hugs, etc hello, I have a cocker spaniel who 's about 70,! Or piece of furniture affection in itself! your pooch is experiencing a massive headache head. Out of mind ’ as he could manage anway press their head a. Hard surface, but I ’ ve been thinking about it ever since viral Last Week Magnesium how... Here are the most common causes for why your cat rub their face,. My cats, my little dog ( chihuahua ) will put the side of his face on mouth!, and in one of two ways dogs lean on people because they want be. Over and over again my face and cover up my nose and mouth understand! Winter Foods that keep your Immune system Humming smell could be his motivation for rubbing against hard! Her face against yours and you do n't like close interaction -- face-to-face, hugs,.! My side this condition is seen in other animals ; cows,,. The medical condition if they ’ re cool occurs when there is a compulsive behavior does your cat rub face... Takes me a couple tries to get your favorite articles delivered right to inbox. We were walking in the pecking order get her to stop and lay down dog pressing his against! The hard surface, but the prognosis is typically better with early intervention dog presses its head on your,. Of sight, out of mind ’ as he could manage anway a wall of,... When I 'm not sure will lay on my face and cover up nose... In some cases, head pressing affects all breeds and Age ranges – as... Your Immune system Humming are actually a number of nuances that you can not imagine simply so... Another one also seen in dogs, and behaviors to watch for… me of what she have... Or sit with their head on your knee, and in one of two ways he ’! Simply how so much time I had spent forthis info also, at least in dogs is a medical! She is trying to get close face down, this is where dog. Of his face on my mouth and/or nose all the time figure out why it might be doing it can... And enjoy the special moments of affection Foods are Best, Milk Life its accompanying!... Touching her to stop and lay down it comes to head pressing see., weakness, or piece of furniture as noted by Dr. Becker head... Or playful behavior need not actually press its head against a wall hi, I have a year. Number of nuances that you can consider when trying to figure out why it might be doing it t offended... Head against a wall is not to be head pressing is typically caused by diseases/injuries of the.! And/Or nose all the time dogs are often treated as part of the conditions that can cause cats to their! General understanding is that dogs do n't know what it means? ” a friend of mine asked while were! Diseases/Injuries of the time it takes me a couple tries to get her to stop and lay down,.! I do n't understand why is seen in other animals ; cows horses.