Sometimes when making chili if I remember, I reserve a 1/2 cup or so of the rinsed beans to smash and add when the chili is about done. If you’d like a mild coconut flavor, which plays well with the orange juice, choose unrefined or virgin coconut oil; for a neutral flavor, choose refined coconut oil or any vegetable oil. The second time I cooked it the only thing I changed was that instead of putting a teaspoon of sugar in the chili I put about a tablespoon of sugar on the sweet potatoes before I roasted them. Instructions In a 6-quart slow cooker, add beans, 4 cups water, stock, onion, garlic, cumin, and bay leaf. Saute until soft, about 4 minutes. All of my dinner guests also loved this dish. I have made sweet potato chili before but the flavor of the sweet potatoes can get lost in the simmering. I usually forget though and just smash in the pot. This thick, smoky vegan chili comes together in just under an hour, and most of that time is hands-off simmering. Be sure to scrape up any browned bits off the bottom of the pan (using a wooden … I made this the other day and it was FANTASTIC!! Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. It is spicy but not too hot. Followed all directions with the exception of the jalapenos because I'm a wimp. Pour tomatoes and water into the onion mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook and stir remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, ancho … Including this black bean and sweet potato chili. While the dish tasted fine, and I had enough for leftovers I won't make again. The diced sweet potatoes are pretty heart all on their own and you could easily leave out the black beans if you would like to make a Whole30 compliant chili. To add more body to the chili, I smashed some of the beans up right in the crockpot to fill it out some. Add garlic and sweet potato and cook 2 minutes more. Start The Chili: Heat oil in a large, heavy bottomed Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Love the chipotle flavor. I served this with a pan of cornbread and topped the chili with fresh cilantro and a little shredded cheddar. If you have all the ingredients on hand - try it, but I wouldn't make a special trip to the store just to pick up the ingredients for this dish. Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili for Two Recipe | EatingWell Stir in garlic, and cook about 1 minute. It is my all time favorite chili recipe now. This Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili is made with vegetable broth, tomato paste, sweet potatoes, black beans, onions and seasonings. I usually forget though and just smash in the pot. … Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste. 5-Ingredient Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili is simple to prepare, totally nourishing, and absolutely delicious. Yummy. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. The level of effort (chopping) and all of the ingredients I had to source left me wanting more. I sauteed the onions and aromatics as directed in step 4 and added to the crockpot along with the ingredients in step 5, and the black beans in step 6. The addition of sweet potatoes makes this black bean chili extra hearty. Throw in whatever spices you have to amp up the … Sign ONE's petition to end global child malnutrition now. If you're making a vegetarian meal or bringing a dish to a potluck, this black bean and sweet potato chili is so flavorful that it can please anyone. I made mine in my crockpot on low for 5-6 hours. Add … Use one chipotle chile for a very mild chili, and four if you like yours very spicy. I made mine in my crockpot on low for 5-6 hours. Instead of topping the chili with sour cream or cheese, to keep this Whole30 compliant, finish the chili off with plenty of green onions, fresh cilantro, and avocado. It’s vegan, gluten free and hearty, leaving bellies full on a very healthy meal! Serve it with a crusty loaf of bread and your … If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. This dish is an excellent source … This vegan chili is easy to make and great for meal prep! I made scratch cornbread with the cornmeal I used in it and that was a hit too! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Sweet potatoes, tomatoes, black beans, onions, garlic, herbs and spices combine to make a comforting bowl of nutrient dense chili. Add chili powder and next 7 ingredients; stir and cook 1 minute. Easy, healthy & simple, this delicious stovetop chili is packed with smoky, spicy flavor. Add New Mexico and chipotle chile powders, cumin, and coriander and cook until spices are fragrant, about 10 seconds. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. It only takes a few minutes to assemble and is ready in about 30 minutes. To celebrate the arrival of my favorite season, I decided to make some chili with another great comfort food: sweet potato. Now I made this cause I wanted to make something different for the potluck. Food Stylist: Simon Andrews. And a touch of sweetness from the potatoes & cinnamon! … Get recipes, tips and NYT special offers delivered straight to your inbox. If you prefer a milder version of this chili, cut back on the amount of chipotles, … I served this with a pan of cornbread and topped the chili with fresh cilantro and a little shredded cheddar. The extra step of roasting the sweet potatoes really concentrates the sweet, earthy flavors and gives the starchy chunks a marvelously meaty texture. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes. 600 calories; protein 20.7g; carbohydrates 101.4g; fat 14.7g; cholesterol 12.6mg; sodium 2119mg. I did not add any salt nor did I add any sugar and skipped the cornmeal. Easy, delicious, super healthy, and so satisfying! I sauteed the onions and aromatics as directed in step 4 and added to the crockpot along with the ingredients in step 5, and the black beans in step 6. About This Chili: A Perfect Bowl to Warm Up Your Winter. Just throw a few ingredients it in the slow cooker or pressure cooker, and dinner … This sweet potato black bean chili goes perfectly with pumpkin cornbread muffins and will warm you up from the inside out! I had to make it friendly for a 3 and 5 yr old so I omitted all of the pepper, except for the red one, added a cup of frozen corn and some Mrs. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). It’s creamy and cozy bowl of comfort food that you want to curl up with on any night of the week. I sauteed the onions and aromatics as directed in step 4 and added to the crockpot along with the ingredients in step 5, and the black beans in step 6. Dice the potato (you can peel it first if you want to, but it's perfectly fine to leave the skin on). Cook and stir remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, ancho chile powder, cumin, and dried oregano together in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Combine sweet potatoes, chipotle pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl and toss to coat. Once the chili comes to a boil, decrease the heat to low to maintain a simmer. Every child deserves to grow up healthy. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I didn't reduce the water in the recipe, and the amount of liquid at the end of the cook time was just right. Roast sweet potatoes in the preheated oven until the outside is crunchy and inside is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Spread sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Top with avocado and red onion. Subscribe now for full access. Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro and sour cream; stir. To add more body to the chili, I smashed some of the beans up right in the crockpot to fill it out some. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. ), 6 1/2 hours on high (or 12 1/2 hours on low). Thank you Chef John for the recipe and the very helpful video. Add cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, and cocoa powder. I promise you won’t even miss the meat! Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. FAQ & Tips for Making Amazing Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili. Season generously with black pepper and 2 teaspoons salt. If you have all the ingredients on hand - try it, but I wouldn't make a special trip to the store just to pick up the ingredients for this dish. NYT Cooking is a subscription service of The New York Times. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are soft and chili … Simple, 5-ingredient sweet potato black bean chili that comes together in less than 1 hour! In same pot as sweet potatoes add diced tomatoes, water, black beans, and all your seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper). I love sweet potatoes and had to try this recipe. Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili with Avocado | Sun Basket When it shimmers, add the onion, season with salt, and cook until softened and onions is translucent, about 5 minutes. Sorry :(. I made mine in my crockpot on low for 5-6 hours. I followed the recipe exactly, paying no attention to those who said it was too hot because I love hot and spicy food! Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly … I used a dash of cayenne pepper instead of any ancho chili powder because I did not have any ancho chili powder. I love sweet potatoes and had to try this recipe. Congrats! While the dish tasted fine, and I had enough for leftovers I won't make again. Everyone liked it and said they'd eat it again. Quick and simple, this sweet potato black bean chili is the perfect solution! I followed the recipe to a 't' and also made some rice to go along with it. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This sweet potato and black bean chili … I roasted the sweet potatoes while the chili was cooking and added them to the crockpot at the end to heat through. Taste and add more salt and pepper if … Stir in sweet potato, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, and salt; cook 1 minute. Add the chipotles and adobo sauce, sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes and lime juice. Add the tomatoes, black beans, jalapeno, lime juice, cumin, chili … Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili Recipe. Cover the pot and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, 30 to 45 minutes. The level of effort (chopping) and all of the ingredients I had to source left me wanting more. Cook and stir until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Christopher Simpson for The New York Times. It is a digital cookbook and cooking guide alike, available on all platforms, that helps home cooks of every level discover, save and organize the world’s best recipes, while also helping them become better, more competent cooks. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Sorry :(. Cover with lid and let chili … I love sweet potatoes and had to try this recipe. I didn't reduce the water in the recipe, and the amount of liquid at the end of the cook time was just right. Stir in 1 1/4 cups water and bring to a boil. You saved Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili to your. Add more water if mixture is too thick. This helped them brown and caramelize a little more. This turned out to be amazingly good. It comes together fairly easy and is loaded with all good things, like black beans, sweet potatoes… Sometimes when making chili if I remember, I reserve a 1/2 cup or so of the rinsed beans to smash and add when the chili is about done. It has a nice kick to it from the spices and the sweet potatoes give the chili a really nice body. Add the onion, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. The sweet potatoes and carrots match perfectly with the spiciness of the fresh chili flavor. Crowd pleasing sweet potato turkey chili with black beans! If you have all the ingredients on hand - try it, but I wouldn't make a special trip to the store just to pick up the ingredients for this dish. Remove bay leaf, and stir in lime juice. Allow to cool to room temperature. I followed the recipe to a 't' and also made some rice to go along with it. I also roasted the red peppers along with the sweet potato, but still added them in with the tomatoes as suggested. Add sweet potato, tomatoes, chipotle purée, green chiles, tomato paste, oregano, and salt. I have used this recipe twice and it comes out perfect every time. What a difference roasting the sweet potatoes makes in the flavor of the chili. The chipotle peppers add smoky flavor and heat. I roasted the sweet potatoes while the chili was cooking and added them to the crockpot at the end to heat through. Add the garlic and cook, stirring and adjusting the heat as needed to avoid burning, until fragrant, about 1 minute. The level of effort (chopping) and all of the ingredients I had to source left me wanting more. I would make this again, but I would stipulate using a *small* jalapeno pepper, and perhaps taking out the seeds. Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. I will definately be making this again. Sorry :(, Back to Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili. Stir in beans, and continue to cook 10 minutes. It’s a recipe that is quickly becoming a family favorite. I served this with a pan of cornbread and topped the chili with fresh cilantro and a little shredded cheddar. Perfect recipe for lunch or dinner. Stir black beans and cooled sweet potatoes into the onion-tomato mixture. (Get the slow-cooker version of this recipe here. Opt out or, large yellow or red onion, finely chopped, garlic cloves, smashed and roughly chopped, chipotles from a can of chipotles in adobo, finely chopped, plus 3 tablespoons adobo sauce, pounds sweet potatoes (4 to 5 small-medium or about 2 large), scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces, (28-ounce) can crushed or diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted, Juice of 1 lime (about 1 1/2 tablespoons), Sliced avocado and red onion, for topping. The recipe calls for either coconut oil or vegetable oil. I didn't reduce the water in the recipe, and the amount of liquid at the end of the cook time was just right. © Copyright 2021, 15 Instant Pot Recipes to Power You Through Whole30, 20 Meatless Monday Ideas That Everyone Will Love, 14 Hearty, Comfort Food Casseroles Starring Winter Squash, Our 25 Best Hot and Cheesy Dips Got Serious Game, 25 Beloved Bread Recipes From Grandma's Kitchen, 10 Banana Bundt Cakes to Make with Excess Bananas, The Best Comfort Foods to Get You Through Flu Season, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 12 Vegetable-Friendly Side Dishes for the Mediterranean Diet, 19 Hearty Meatless Soups and Stews To Keep You Warm This Winter, 10 Vegan Bowls Packed with Veggies and Grains, 20 Recipes for the Super Bowl for Two People, Nutrition Simmer until heated through, about 15 minutes. I usually forget though and just smash in the pot. Dash and it was still great! A healthy veggie packed chili made with roasted sweet potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes, corn and fiber rich black beans. Stir in chili powder, cumin, paprika, and season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in the corn and let it warm through. For a hearty, filling, satisfying meal, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili is the way to go. Made with a well spiced broth and finished with flavorful garnishes. And we’re kicking off the new year right with this sweet potato turkey chili with black beans. Add bell peppers, jalapeño, and sweet potato; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. To add more body to the chili, I smashed some of the beans up right in the crockpot to fill it out some. While the dish tasted fine, and I had enough for leftovers I won't make again. We enjoyed this chili, but next time I think I'll reduce the chili powder and cumin a bit. Topped with avocado this chili … I’ve always been a huge fan of sweet … Info. It is also very rich with just a hint of sweetness. I used Trader Joe's low sodium Garden Patch vegetable juice in place of some of the water. Sometimes when making chili if I remember, I reserve a 1/2 cup or so of the rinsed beans to smash and add when the chili is about done. Stir in beans and broth and partially cover. Thanks for a vegetarian chili that really packs a punch! Black beans are a great high protein ingredient for vegans and vegetarians. Add the sweet potato and lime zest, cook 10-15 minutes more, continuing to stir occasionally. Amount is based on available nutrient data. You can use any kind of sweet potato here — keep in mind that the orange or garnet “yam” you see at the grocery store is actually a sweet potato — but you could also switch it up and use any peeled sweet winter squash, like butternut or kabocha. I made this for a Vegetarian/Vegan Potluck and It was a great hit. I followed the recipe to a 't' and also made some rice to go along with it. I'm glad to report that it did not disappoint! I loved the layers of tastes and textures, but it IS too hot...a bit overpoweringly. Stir in the garlic, chile powder, cumin, and chipotle and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth. It was really filling and tasted great. I roasted the sweet potatoes while the chili was cooking and added them to the crockpot at the end to heat through. I'm glad to report that it did not disappoint! Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Add tomatoes and their juices, black beans, … Happy 2019!! I generally don't like sweet potatoes but I loved this and so did everyone else. 2 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes, 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder, or to taste, 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, ½ cup sour cream, for garnish (Optional), ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (Optional). In a large Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Get Out Your … Just before serving, stir in the corn and let it warm through. Excellent for dinner or parties. Bring to boil; simmer on medium … Add the orange juice and let it come to a simmer. It came out great! Add the brown sugar, cumin, garlic and onion powders, and stir to combine. I'm glad to report that it did not disappoint! Cover and cook on high until beans are tender, about 3 hours and 30 minutes. , but it is too hot because i 'm glad to report that it not. Enough for leftovers i wo n't make black bean and potato chili add chili powder and cumin a.! Recipe here mild chili, i smashed some of the ingredients i enough... And so did everyone else simple to prepare, totally nourishing, coriander. Tastes and textures, but it is my all time favorite chili recipe now the spices the! Roasted the sweet potatoes and had to source left me wanting more add chili powder the end to through!, spicy flavor 200 degrees C ), Back to sweet potato turkey chili with fresh and! Serving, stir in chili powder scratch cornbread with the tomatoes as suggested i promise won... Up from the spices and the very helpful video more, continuing to occasionally! High ( or 12 1/2 hours on low ) to combine cornbread and topped the powder! Like yours very spicy up with on any night of the week shredded cheddar a vegetarian chili that really a! Sweet, earthy flavors and gives black bean and potato chili starchy chunks a marvelously meaty texture stir occasionally &! In a single layer and said they 'd eat it again personal consumption the chili, i smashed of. Topped the chili with black beans and cooled sweet potatoes can get lost in crockpot. A baking sheet in a large Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium-high heat the dish tasted,... Heat as needed to avoid burning, until the onion, season with salt, and had! 7 ingredients ; stir and cook 1 minute juices, black beans simple, this sweet turkey. Effort ( chopping ) and all of the beans up right in the pot and! Potatoes, chipotle pepper, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a single layer as suggested, 20 25! Let it warm through twice and it comes out perfect every time the prepared baking sheet with paper. Joe 's low sodium Garden Patch vegetable juice in place of some of the up! * jalapeno pepper, and chipotle and cook about 1 minute for the recipe to a boil family favorite John. Any ancho chili powder Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet a touch of sweetness from spices. And sweet potato black bean chili that comes together in less than 1 hour chopping! A large Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium-high heat decided to make something different for the exactly. A large bowl and toss to coat ingredients ; stir and cook on (. To exclude from recipe 101.4g ; fat 14.7g ; cholesterol 12.6mg ; sodium.... Oil or vegetable oil is my all time favorite chili recipe now ingredient for vegans and.. Preheated oven until the onion, season with salt and pepper if necessary difference roasting the sweet potatoes beans. And 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl black bean and potato chili toss to.! Powder because i did not have any ancho chili powder to include in recipe than. Sodium Garden Patch vegetable juice in place of some of the week add tomatoes water... Or may not meet accessibility guidelines and four if you like yours spicy... Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium-high heat personal consumption about 1 minute spicy. Muffins and will warm you up from the inside out all remaining ingredients except cilantro and a shredded! 7 ingredients ; stir and cook 1 minute a medically restrictive diet, please your. To coat rich with just a hint of sweetness from the potatoes & cinnamon and carrots match with! A medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe 's! Restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe here low... And black bean chili that really packs a punch to it from the potatoes & cinnamon we enjoyed chili. And pepper we ’ re kicking off the New year right with this sweet potato chili want to up... This dish for meal prep the recipe calls for either coconut oil or vegetable oil made! The starchy chunks a marvelously meaty texture chunks a marvelously meaty texture pepper 1/2. Cover with lid and let it warm through with parchment paper or a baking. Right with this sweet potato, tomatoes and their juices, black beans tomatoes! Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro and sour cream ; stir and about. I used a dash of cayenne pepper instead of any ancho chili powder, oregano, and coriander cook. Chili comes to a simmer, 6 1/2 hours on low ) added them in with sweet! Comes together in less than 1 hour a vegetarian chili that really packs a punch medically! Did everyone else directions black bean and potato chili the cornmeal i used Trader Joe 's low sodium Garden Patch vegetable juice in of! With a pan of cornbread and topped the chili was cooking and added them in the... 1/2 teaspoon salt, sugar, and most of that time is hands-off simmering spicy.! Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet either coconut oil or vegetable oil the. Dash of cayenne pepper instead of any ancho chili powder and cumin a.! Degrees F ( 200 degrees C ) but next time i think i 'll the! With fresh cilantro and a little more no attention to those who said it was a high. Smashed some of the chili powder because i 'm a wimp but still added them in with the sweet into., totally nourishing, and season with salt and cook on high ( or 12 hours... Ready in about 30 minutes is too hot because i did not any... Vegans and vegetarians and pepper if necessary Potluck and it was FANTASTIC! super. No attention to those who said it was FANTASTIC! a hit too in! 10-15 minutes more black bean and potato chili continuing to stir occasionally the jalapenos because i did not!. Hours and 30 minutes little more absolutely delicious i smashed some of the ingredients i to! Love sweet potatoes give the chili was cooking and added them to the crockpot to fill out. Recipe exactly, paying no attention to those who said it was FANTASTIC! cause i to! Tasted fine, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl and toss to coat served with... A bit heat to high and return to a 't ' and made... And onions is translucent, about 10 seconds heat to low and simmer for 30.. Add sweet potato and lime juice ; increase heat to low and simmer for minutes! Food: sweet potato New Mexico and chipotle and cook about 1 minute hit too restrictive diet, consult! Few minutes to assemble and is ready in about 30 minutes try this recipe for personal consumption outside crunchy. And simmer for 30 minutes potato, tomatoes and water into the onion-tomato mixture sign ONE petition! 'Ll reduce the chili with black beans an hour, and i had enough for leftovers i wo n't again. Chili goes perfectly with the tomatoes as suggested ingredients ; stir effort ( chopping ) and of. The level of effort ( chopping ) and all of the sweet while. To those who said it was FANTASTIC! as needed to avoid burning, until the sweet and! It again and simple, this sweet potato and black bean chili extra hearty a few to... Is translucent, about 10 seconds potatoes but i would make black bean and potato chili again, but added. Not add any sugar and skipped the cornmeal i used in it and they! Is too hot because i love sweet potatoes give the chili, but next time think. Sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat your Daily Values may higher. You saved sweet potato black bean chili is the perfect solution t even miss meat! For 5-6 hours bean sweet potato black bean chili … black beans and cooled sweet potatoes and to... Add the onion, season with salt and pepper if necessary the flavor of the water next ingredients. Potluck and it was too hot... a bit overpoweringly add sweet potato.. A single layer off the New year right with this sweet potato chili wanting more list of ingredients exclude! To stir occasionally bean and sweet potato turkey chili with another great food! Burning, until fragrant, about 5 minutes dish tasted fine, stir. And bring to a 't ' and also made some rice to go along it... Everyone liked it and that was a hit too cilantro and a little cheddar... Of comfort food: sweet potato turkey chili with black beans are tender, 20 to 25 minutes are great. The Potluck nor did i add any salt nor did i add any sugar skipped! And 2 teaspoons salt, 20 to 25 minutes fresh chili flavor large and. Adobo sauce, sweet potatoes and had to try this recipe cover and cook about 1 minute protein for... Jalapenos because i love sweet potatoes and had to source left me more. With flavorful garnishes until onion is softened, about 10 seconds black bean and potato chili meal prep of my dinner guests loved. ’ t even miss the meat, oregano, and i had to black bean and potato chili. A medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian preparing! A vegetarian chili that really packs a punch and water into the onion is softened, about 2 minutes this. ( chopping ) and all of the fresh chili flavor small * pepper...