Expedia finds you the best deals on flights to Sweden by searching and comparing tickets from different airlines and travel sites. Prices for Sweden vacations can peak during May. (Try the French hotdogs for 30 SEK. We know almost everything there is to know about the world. Yeah Copenhagen can be very expensive, I always find the prices higher there than in Sweden. The cheapest month to fly to Stockholm is October. Whether there is public transport to nature hikes or not depends a from place to place, but generally speaking nature is very easily reached in Sweden and there are often buses you can take to get there, so it shouldn’t be a problem. We visited Copenhagen and Helsinki this year. Dorms are very basic but can be dirt cheap, the same goes for food and alcohol. In the Northern regions, snow and frost will begin by mid-October. Food Food is expensive in Sweden. It can get really nice when it’s sunny. Partygoers can visit during April end to revel in Valpurgis Night celebrations. Working in Sweden. Work Visa’s in Sweden Biking in Sweden is generally really easy and a great way of getting around, so hiring a bike or taking one of the city bikes that are placed around Gothenburg and Stockholm is definitely worth it. That said living costs are higher too. I’m so happy to hear you liked our videos from the Europe train challenge, and it’s great to hear you’re interested in traveling to Europe. The summer weather is generally comfortable and there is a decent amount of sun. I also had my haggling skills to thank as I was almost always able to talk my way out of being charged unfairly by the Tuk Tuk d… Sometimes, during times of high solar activity, the Northern Lights can be seen from as far south as Stockholm and Gothenburg. Northern Lights season typically lasts from the end of September through April. GoByBus is one of the best budget bus companies in Sweden (which runs routes between Denmark, Sweden and Norway). The Nobel Prize-giving ceremony is held every year in early December. Sweden is a Scandinavian country with incredible geographic diversity and tons to see and do. May and July are also good options for the visitor who likes outdoor recreation. If you're on a budget, … The best time to visit Sweden would be a time when you can completely soak in the experience and not worry about such hassles. I wouldn’t recommend anyone to visit Sweden in October, and if you ask me, October is definitely not the best time to visit Sweden if you don’t have a specific purpose. The whole country celebrates Midsummer Eve in June. These are just a few of many ways to cut your costs when traveling in Sweden. Sometimes they can be cheaper than flying, though Norwegian offers good fares within Scandinavia when tickets are purchased in advance. Ranging from boreal forests to glaciers and the buzzing metropolis of Stockholm to rural fishing villages, there's no bad time to visit Sweden. I think Barcelona has something for people of all ages, and doing an exchange program sounds like an experience of a lifetime so I’d definitely recommend it. The best time to visit Stockholm is in the summer – albeit the city's priciest season – because the temperatures are warmest and daylight lasts the longest. Coffee culture is integral to the Swedish way of life. Unless there is a special campaign going on, the closer to departure date you get the more expensive it becomes. April: It is not the best time to visit Sweden as the weather is temperamental. On average, Sweden receives between 20 and 30 inches of precipitation per year, making it drier than many other countries. There is an important weather divergence between northern and southern Sweden: The north has a long, harsh winter of more than seven months, while the south has winter weather for only two months and a summer of more than four. I think when we go to Europe, we will spend more time in larger cities. However, during winter, there's much more variation, with temperatures ranging from freezing all the way down to 5 degrees Fahrenheit near the Finnish border. The weather is warm and pleasant and there are plenty of outdoor events and activities, including swimming at some of Sweden's beautiful beaches. The food looks amazing. Weather in Sweden: Climate, Seasons, and Average Monthly Temperature, What You Need to Know About Traveling to Scandinavia in September, Weather in Finland: Climate, Seasons, and Average Monthly Temperature, Scandinavia in May: Weather, What to Pack, and What to See, Plan a Beach Vacation to Destin, Florida, Year-Round, Tripsavvy uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. During the month of June, you can avoid the late-summer crowds and still experience outdoor events (like Midsummer's Eve) and activities, warm weather, and the long hours of daylight known as the Midnight Sun. Hey Sofia. What are the cheapest airlines flying from Indiana to Sweden round-trip? See our, 5 Budget Friendly Travel Hacks For Visiting Sri Lanka, My Favorite Countries To Visit For Budget Spa Relaxation, Traveling to Monaco on a Budget: Things To Do For Cheap, Traveling Comfortably on Budget Hacks - Actionable Tips, Las Vegas on the Cheap ~ Family Vacation to Vegas on…, As We Travel the World ~ Travel Videos and Travelling Tips, Privacy Policy, Disclosures and Affiliate Disclosure. September is the wettest if you need to factor this in to your plans. And it helps if the heat doesn't bother you, since that's the time when it is cheapest to travel to places such as Phoenix, Albuquerque, and Las Vegas. By the end of August, the leaves in northern Sweden start to change colour and night frosts are not uncommon; the first snows fall in September. Be aware that choosing a non-stop flight can sometimes be more expensive while saving you time. If you want to sample the Swedish culture and taste typical Swedish food, one of the cheapest and best places to go for this are the “gatukök” (street kitchens), basically small street side hot dog huts. There are 200 ski resorts in the country of Sweden, with the most popular downhill ski slopes at Åre, in central Sweden. Resorts in Dalarna, Härjedalen, Jämtland, and Swedish Lapland are also popular with visitors and local skiers. The cities in Scandinavia are wonderful, and I would highly recommend you check out some of the countryside as well – that’s what Scandinavia (especially Iceland) is most famous for! What are the cheapest places to live in Sweden? Average temperature: Stockholm and below – 8-10 degrees / Northern part – 5 degrees. Accordion-playing and dances around the maypole are the most typical celebrations. In general, May to September is the best time to visit Sweden – north or south. Book Cheap Flights to Sweden: Search and compare airfares on Tripadvisor to find the best flights for your trip to Sweden. It’s too risky, and you can end up in a cold spree. What was your impression? I wish I had read a guide as helpful as this for those cities before we went. High season is considered to be June and July. The cheapest way to get from Copenhagen to Sweden costs only 708 kr, and the quickest way takes just 6¼ hours. You won't be able to enjoy a ski resort when it's covered with snow; you'll have to visit in summer. Book Cheap Flights to Stockholm: Search and compare airfares on Tripadvisor to find the best flights for your trip to Stockholm. In general, eastern Europe is cheaper than western Europe, but there are some cities and countries in western Europe that are surprisingly cheap (Berlin for example). Great tip about the ferries. Finding cheap flights to Sweden online can be quite challenging. Scandinavia is amazing, and since I’m Swedish I’ve been fortunate to spend a lot of time there. Book 90 days before departure – that’s when the tickets are the cheapest. Budget airlines are your friend. (If you’ve been to America) Also, my family and I have been looking into an exchange program to Barcelona for around 3-4 weeks this summer. Swedes love celebrating the long summer days by flocking to the coast and inland lakes. From April through August, the sun barely sets at all, diminishing any chances of seeing the phenomenon. Crowds are common, but worth it thanks to the beautiful weather. Popular walking places like Österlen and Bohuslän are also good with transport. . Any month between November and March will be cold and snowy in Sweden. Here at Expedia, we're committed to helping you find cheap flights to Sweden that won't break the bank. Another tip is to look into ferries. When is low season in Sweden? Days get longer, but due to the finicky weather people don’t venture out often. Great post! What is the vibe like in the city? Parts of the north have snow on the ground for more than half of the year. Finally, a last tip for those truly dedicated to saving on accommodation: bring a tent and camp in nature – it’s free. Choose the best airline for you by reading reviews and viewing hundreds of ticket rates for flights going to and from your destination. The truth is that Sweden can dig a deep hole in your pocket – but if you know how and where to spend your money you can get away cheaper than you think. How deep have you traveled in Scandinavia? Thanks for the information! The most popular time of year to visit Sweden, at least as far as tourist activity goes, is mid-to-late summer. Last minute tickets booked the same day are always the most expensive ones. The Stockholm Jazz Festival, established in 1980, draws jazz and blues fans to the city each year. Great to hear you’ll be moving to Sweden! Roundtrip prices range from $162 - $714, and one-ways to Malmo start as low as $80. SAS, Norwegian, Norwegian Air Sweden, Lufthansa, Etihad Airways, CityJet, Flexflight and Finnair all fly non-stop to Sweden. Sweden's climate is mostly temperate, despite its northern latitude. Do you recommend going as a 14 year old? Hi Sofia, I think Sweden is a wonderful place. In Gothenburg and Stockholm, for example, it’s very easy to get to the countryside and take walks. In northern Sweden, the leaves start changing color as early as late August and it can snow in September. Find the travel option that best suits you. You can get cheap food from outdoor street vendors starting at 50 SEK, though they are few and far between. ASAP Tickets can do all the footwork for you to save time and money. Great info on the public transportation and supermarkets. Stockholm Weather – When Is Best Time To Visit Stockholm? Are they unwanted in some places. Theyre delicious!) So, traveling in Europe as an American is no different. It started in 1985 as a trade fair but is now the largest literary event in Scandinavia. Oslo also tends to be more expensive than smaller towns in Norway (a hamburger with fries costs around 9 Euro). I’m sure there are a lot of people who could benefit from this advice. Thanks for sharing these useful tips with us! , Thanks Connor, the food is especially great for those who like meat and people with a sweet tooth , Hey Belle, great to hear you found the post useful , Great tips. You'll experience 13 hours of daylight or so throughout the spring. Save money on your next trip and book with Expedia! When is the worst time time to visit Sweden? To get these prices you’ll need to book around 12 weeks in advance. Flights at noon are typically the cheapest time of the day to fly to Sweden. The cheapest way to get from Hamburg to Sweden costs only 511 kr, and the quickest way takes just 4¼ hours. Flights to Sweden will be cheaper than during the high season, as will local hotel prices. My twin brother and I are 14 years old and really want to travel the world in the future. These tips will help people unlock the beauty and amazingness of Scandinavia though. Stockholm Culture Night occurs in late April. It's up to the individual traveler to decide what appeals to them, but Sweden has weather, events, and things to do no matter the season. While Norway is typically the best place to view the Northern Lights, they are generally visible from most points in Sweden—provided that it's not cloudy. Book at least 3 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price. There you will find cheap fast food like Swedish meatballs with mash potatoes, or the favorite “halv special” sausage dish which was invented in Gothenburg in the 1930’s. Budget airlines are getting a lot more popular and flying more routes … During these months, the days are long and the country's natural beauty is at its peak. As a result, much of Sweden’s beautiful landscapes and picturesque villages are largely unexplored by travelers, who in my opinion are missing out on something really special. I was so shocked that you could get so much done in such little time. Spring is a great time to visit Sweden: It is still off-season, with low travel prices, and with warmer weather arriving, you can expect to find spring flowers and green landscapes. That's why we provide you with a vast selection of affordable plane tickets, including roundtrip and one-way reservations, to ensure your Sweden travel plans remain within your budget. This allows you to pick the cheapest days to fly if your trip allows flexibility and score cheap flight deals to Malmo. I lived in a few cities in Denmark before becoming a nomad and yes, it’s crazy expensive. Summer is a great time to go. Hope you visit again soon and can travel a bit cheaper next time . Sweden is not a cheap country to travel and so making a few bucks here and there to help you on their way is a good idea. in the morning at noon in the afternoon in the evening $0 $400 $800 $1,200 Stylish and sophisticated Sweden – it’s the Scandinavian way. Avoid traveling during rush hour, especially on Sundays and Fridays Look for tickets on Tradera (like ebay) or for last minute deals on SJ’s (the train company) website. If you missed our earlier posts,… To help you prepare for your Sweden travel, we have put together some tips such as the best time to visit Sweden, things to do in Sweden and so on. The "fika" is fundamental to … This flight may include one or multiple stops. Nice to read some information about this often overlooked destination. The key thing to do if you’re on a budget is to avoid peak times such as high summer, Christmas and New Year and Swedish public holidays, when accommodation is at its priciest. You can take a guided tour of the tower and other locations in the airport. This is the most pleasant time to explore the country, whether you're heading north or south. So shoulder seasons, such as autumn and spring, are good times to travel around the country, with flights from the UK usually at their cheapest in March. Scandinavia bustles and glistens under the July and August sun; it's the height of the tourist season, when all the sightseeing attractions are open and in full swing. Sweden tends to be ignored on people’s travel itineraries when they go to Europe – the main reason for this is that they fear it’s too expensive. In many cases, things don't kick into gear until summer — about June 20 — when Scandinavian schools let out. Barcelona is fun, and although it can get hot in summer there are some really nice beaches in the smaller towns nearby (there are beaches in the city too but they’re not as good). Typically, the region between Jokkmokk stretching upward toward Norway is usually considered the best viewing area. Stena Line does a great route between Gothenburg and Fredrikshavn which is close to beautiful Skagen. Terri Mapes specializes in giving first-time Scandinavia visitors practical tips for their travels. When it comes to transport in cities, you can easily walk around on foot – if you want to spend a few days, you can buy day passes for trams and subway. You can get hot dogs starting at 25 SEK. The air then lights up, providing a spectacular visual display. How to get the cheapest train tickets Book 90 days before departure – that’s when the tickets are the cheapest. Choose the best airline for you by reading reviews and viewing hundreds of ticket rates for flights going to and from your destination. As in other countries: where there aren’t many jobs. 21 Places to Visit Around the World in 2021: Part Four. I imagine that ferries are a great alternative when traveling through Denmark. That being said, if you’re OK with some commuting, you could for example live in Herrljunga while working in Gothenburg. The weather of Sweden is favorable along with the best of activities during this particular time in Sweden. Hi Sofia, Thanks for so much info.. We definitely had some major sticker shock in Copenhagen. For long distance travel, there are two main ways of getting around Sweden if you don’t have a car: Train and bus – at first glance their prices look outrageous, but if you just plan ahead you can get away really cheap. There are times when the winter sports areas are busier than others, however. The region that is probably our favorite and that we study the most is Scandinavia. The fair brings in more than 800 exhibitors and 100,000 visitors to Göteborg. If you're on a budget, you may want to avoid the summer high season. Can I fly to Sweden right now? The International Festival of Folk Dance and Music, or. The Göteborg Book Fair takes place every September in Göteborg. I also recall they said, “Why you bomb us, English? Find the travel option that best suits you. Be advised that Sweden typically sees more rain in May than in June, and while July is warmer, it also has larger tourist crowds. I saw in one of your videos that you enjoyed it, although it was quite hot. Enter your preferred departure airport and travel dates into the search form above to unlock the latest Stockholm flight deals. People love to fika. Wages are comparatively high compared to pretty much everywhere else and even bar jobs pay around $20 per hour. During the summer months, the entire country experiences pleasant temperatures that usually hover around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Grocery shopping here will cost 565 SEK per week, however, if you cut down on your meat and cheese intake (some of the most expensive food items in Sweden) you can lower your costs significantly. By using Tripsavvy, you accept our. And was wondering how will I be able to save some money while travelling and living there . July and August can also be slightly more expensive than the earlier summer months. For long distance travel, there are two main ways of getting around Sweden if you don’t have a car: Train and bus – at first glance their prices look outrageous, but if you just plan ahead you can get away really cheap. In my experience, Norway is the most expensive country, followed by Denmark and Finland, Sweden is slightly cheaper. The festival takes place in mid-October at the Skeppsholmen, which is set against the city's harbor. Americans are welcome in Europe, and the incident in Belgrade was very rare. We found your Europe challenge videos last night, and were amazed. Is there any way or website or twitter handle ..one can connect with expats or such info like u shared which may be handy and act as a guide during my stay there.. I haven’t traveled much in America, but I believe that it depends on where you go. Summers in the north are short and cool, but the rest of the country is generally very comfortable and quite warm. Stockholm Design Week is held in early February, drawing in crowds of designers and retailers. If you like winter sports, skiing and dogsled riding are huge attractions. Look for: Lidl, Willys and Netto supermarkets. While Stockholm is warmer and milder, the mountains of northern Sweden are sub-Arctic. Book at least 4 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price. Thanks Mohit. Sleeper tickets for the 16-hour journey to Kiruna, in the far north of Sweden, start from around 700 SEK. The further north you go, the better the view of the Northern Lights. The Baltics is also cheap. High season is considered to be June, July and August. Can you use public transportation to start nature hikes or would you need a car for that? You’re welcome Miruna, glad you found it helpful. If you want to further save money on your trip to Sweden, look for flights from low-cost carriers, like Easy Jet or RyanAir. It's hard to believe that we've made it to the last installment of our 21 Places Around the World to Visit… 21 Places to Visit Around the World in 2021: Part Three.