It’s normal to experience some fluctuations in vaginal discharge throughout your cycle even after you start using hormonal birth control. I stopped taking birth control on the 28th of February and had a normal period on the 4th of March and another normal period on the 1st of April. This type of pill uses a combination of a synthetic estrogen called ethinyl estradiol and a progestin hormone to prevent pregnancy. Again, negative. This can lead to a higher level of vaginal discharge after you start using the pill. Slimy, thick, pinkish tinted mucus vaginal discharge...why? Re: problems after stopping birth control Yes the brown discharge, also known as spotting is a common side effect of stopping birth control pills. I didn't see how it could be. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Vaginal discharge is a potential side effect of the birth control pill. It is FREE! Birth control pills work effectively only if they are taken at the same time each day. What is the risk of getting pregnant despite the pill? “Effects of progestin-only birth control … It consists of blood, tissue shed from the lining of the uterus, and bacteria. Its exactly as you describe and now i no im not the only one!! Since then my husband and I have been having protected sex with condoms and finally my sex drive has come back. She was no longer having to pack an extra change of clothes to work or change her Diva Cup multiple times a day the first few days of her period. But for the last 3 days I've noticed a thick stringy mucus that has a yellowy green tinge. I also have tender nipples??!?! In other cases, it may indicate an underlying condition. AmandaG A week later I had a light brown discharge for 2 days and a pinching pain in my right ovary. Stopping Birth Control Pills & Minimizing Side Effects . I have experienced the same thing with the vaginal discharge. I am still waiting for my first period since coming off the pill, so I think the test was too early to tell. For many women, the extra vaginal wetness caused by the pill may be beneficial as it’s common for many women to experience vaginal dryness and discomfort during sex. It’s natural to have discharge after pregnancy, but there are a few ways you can keep it under control. According to the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada, birth control pills can cause spotting or brown discharge for the first few months of taking them. I am experiencing dark brown clumpy discharge. For the last two days I have had a very thin, very light pink/brown discharge. I know that thick discharge is a sign of ovulation, but this is thicker than any discharge I've ever had, so I took another pregnancy test, just to be sure that wasn't the cause. Like the patch, the IUD and other forms of hormonal contraception, the pill is a generally safe, effective way to stop yourself from becoming pregnant. It was also odorless. (such as taking charge of your fertility) describe this clear elastic discharge as a sign that you are about to ovulate. It's odorless and not accompanied by itching, so I'm relatively sure it's not a side effect of an infection. Cervical mucus after ovulation: what is it like? :-D. I came off the pill 2 weeks ago after being on it for 13 years. If brown discharge occurs instead of a regular menstrual period after having unprotected sex, consult your doctor about taking a pregnancy test. It is important for women to know their body so they can monitor their health. All women have vaginal discharge; the fluid or secretions that come out of the vagina and are often seen on underwear. My period turned up after 3 weeks. I have been to the doctor since then and she said that it was probably just discharge from ovulation. Still, you may notice that you drop a few pounds (mostly water weight) after you stop birth control. Our guide to common and uncommon birth control side effects goes into detail on the side effects of the pill, from normal side effects to potentially serious interactions you need to be aware of. Once these normal fluctuations resume, then testosterone can have its way and you may end up feeling more spotty at certain times of the month (often around the middle of your cycle or when your period is due). The best time to have intercourse to achieve pregnancy, Trying To Conceive: How To Detect Ovulation, Trying to conceive after the contraceptive pill, How To Recognize An Implantation Bleeding. This fluid changes throughout your cycle, and it becomes like this when you are near to ovulation and when you ovulate (your fertile period). Ovulation After Stopping The Birth Control Pill: When Will Your Fertility Return? If this happens during your first cycle off the pill, you may not have a period at all. Normal Vaginal Discharge. Books about fertilty monitering, charting etc. You probably felt a few changes when you started taking birth control pills, like nausea or tender breasts.So it makes sense that you may feel different again when you stop taking them. Don't forget about your cervical mucus, Potential Side Effects Of The Aviane Contraceptive Pill, Clear jelly discharge after getting off the pill. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. For most women, normal ovulation resumes within a month or two, and one study found that 20% of women were able to get pregnant one cycle after stopping birth control. In most cases brown discharge is usually old blood. For the first few days after birth, lochia contains a fair amount of blood, so it'll be bright red and look like a heavy period. I was afraid that it might have been a miscarriage. If you are trying to concieve and experience this, you should have sex right then. As soon as you ovulate again, you can get pregnant. How long after stopping birth control do I need to wait to try to conceive? The vaginal discharge caused by the pill is a result of an increase in your production of cervical fluid, not a sign of any sexually transmitted infection or other health issues. Thick, dark discharge 2 wks before period, off pill for a month now am late for period and have a thick white discharge, I've been on the mini pill for 3 months, and i've been getting black/ dark brown thick discharge. The reason being that progesterone production taking place in the corpus luteum gland found in your ovaries overrides the progesterone drop, ensuring that the active pills are not finished. Sasha1908 I stopped taking birth control on the 28th of February and had a normal period on the 4th of March and another normal period on the 1st of April. After about 2 weeks of being off the pill my boyfriendcame for a surprise visit and of course we had sex. Like most side effects of birth control, it’s easy to treat, with most cases of vaginal discharge either resolving on their own with time or responding well to medication and other treatments. This fluid helps the sperm to live longer and travel to the egg much more easily. Normally, your vagina starts to secrete more cervical fluid as you approach your period. A possible pregnancy just after going off the pill? No proper period yet. Every time you ovulate you have discharge. Learn about possible causes and when to see a doctor. My breasts are again getting sore, but its so pleasing to know I'm getting a cycle back! Many women using birth control methods do not experience their monthly periods, and only end up experiencing what is known as withdrawal bleeding. I am sexually active but used condoms every time and have taken pregnancy tests - negative. I have been off the pill for 4 months. All women have vaginal discharge; the fluid or secretions that come out of the vagina and are often seen on underwear. Once u stopped the BC you start ovulating again. Sometimes, switching from a combined birth control pill to a progestin-only pill is enough to get any increase in vaginal discharge under control. One of my symptoms is lots of watery discharge. Formulated with amino acids and a 3-oil blend to help strengthen and moisturize your full head of hair. 2-3 days later I had a brown discharge for 8 days. I was only on the pill for two packs (taken consecutively) as stopped it due to bad headaches. The mucus is supposed to help carry the sperm where it needs to go. I was a 15-year-old who suffered from severe cramps—so bad that I once ended up in the ER because of them. Most hormonal method of birth control works by keeping you from ovulating. 7 Reasons for a Missed Period After Stopping Birth Control A missed period after getting off the pill can be expected as your cycle regulates itself again. Depending on your sensitivity to estrogen, it may take several months, even up to one year before your body gets fully accustomed to the pill. I am on birth control and I m currently on my break week. I went off birth contol a few weeks ago, got my Today is the 22cd of May and I still haven't started my period. Our bodies can often be relatively unpredictable and throw our regular routines into a loop. Your vagina typically produces cervical fluid consistently, meaning you’ll usually have a steady amount of discharge throughout the day. Emergency Contraception: The Difference Between The Morning-After Pill And The Abortion Pill, Trying to get pregnant? If taking a stronger dose of your current birth control pill does not prevent brown discharge, discuss switching birth control medication. The more and the stretchier the better it is supposed to be for conception. If you’re trying to get pregnant, it might be a good idea to wait until after you’ve had a natural period. Then, when I broke up with my boyfriend I decided to stop taking the it since I'm not having sex anymore. So once your body starts ovulating again, you may feel mild cramping … I have not yet had my period. Mini Pill : Thick Brown discharge, and Precum through clothes? We didnt use protection except for that he didn't ejaculate in me. Brown discharge caused by birth control is an unpleasant and embarrassing problem that many women deal with monthly. One of my symptoms is lots of watery discharge. It is the condition of secreting of milk even after stopping breast-feeding. over a year ago, lw Our bodies can often be relatively unpredictable and throw our regular routines into a loop. I also have been finding it slightly difficult to urinate, but don't actually think I have an infection as I have no pain or other symptoms. I have noticed an increase of vaginal discharge but this was by far the largest mass i've encountered. As always, if you’re concerned about a potential infection, the best option is not to engage in sexual activity and to talk to your healthcare provider for further diagnosis and treatment. Most of the time, your body will gradually adjust to the increased levels of ethinyl estradiol and progestin hormones caused by the pill. Thick, Slimy, Pinkish, Vaginal Mucus Discharge? Clear thick mucus from vagina, what could it be? However, taking more birth control pills than recommended, even after missing doses, can bring several undesired effects. If you become pregnant when you are using the contraceptive pills, it means that the typical withdrawal bleeding after stopping birth control will not take place. This was a huge relief for her. As the contraception […] The side effects of stopping birth control depend on what kind you've been taking (combination, progestin-only, or extended-cycle) and your dosage. Since being on the pill disables ovulation, it makes sense that the cervical fluid comes back when your system is prepping for ovulation again. Hormonal birth control cessation causes the uterine lining to become thicker (which is also enhanced by increased levels of follicle stimulating and luteinizing hormone). I was still on the pill and very conscientious about taking it when my ex and I last had sex. Other forms of birth control, such as the IUD, Depo-Provera® injection, don’t use estrogen, meaning they’re less likely to trigger an increase in cervical fluid than the combined pill. While a thick discharge is seen during the estrogen phase, in the progesterone phase it is thin and elastic.... What causes white discharge after stopping birth control … Some women will find relief from the hot flashes commonly associated with perimenopause after taking low-dose birth control pills. One of the potential side effects of the pill is an increase in vaginal discharge. Still, you may have questions about how birth control pills could affect your health, the benefits and risks of birth control pills, and newer options available. over a year ago, foo13849 Most of the time, an increase in vaginal discharge from the pill isn’t something for you to worry about. I went off the Pill about a month ago after being on it for 6 years. I have had it almost everyday for about a week, but the amount varies. Always talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of any treatment. Discharge on Birth Control Pills As a woman, there are many mysteries and surprises we often encounter. Last period was right on time. During your natural menstrual cycle off birth control, you may notice changes in your cervical mucus (that clearish discharge that comes out of your vagina). 6.4 fl oz. This is mostly caused by an increase in your estrogen levels. 5 days after had some bleeding in the morning and it went away. I have taken a home pregnancy test but it came back negative. As your body produces more estrogen in the days leading up to your period, your vagina secretes more cervical fluid. has anyone had this discharge after stopping birth control? I think that the white/clear, elastic "discharge" some people are referring to is cervical fluid. In many cases changing birth control medication will stop brown discharge from occurring. There is a great book that explains this and other fertility signs called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." I am 100% sure that we are both STD free and have no other symptoms of burning or itching, aside from a little tenderness (which i experience regularly after sex) around the outside of my vagina. The second type of birth control pill is the progestin-only pill, or “mini-pill.” This type of pill only contains a progestin hormone and does not contain any ethinyl estradiol. However if you are experiencing side effects, you need to discuss them with your healthcare provider to learn about your available options. My husband and I are trying to become pregnant. I stopped using birth control. Hubby is back from travels next week so hoping that I am not ovulating without him here as we're trying to get preg. In the last few days, I've had the thick, elastic discharge you describe. hey the same thing is happening to me!!! The only time I noticed the type of discharge you described was right after sex (a condom was used and it didn't break). It was odorless, thick and mostly clear to yellowish in color. I took a pregnancy test, just to be sure, and it came back negative. Ive been on different types of birth control over over the last 6 years. A shampoo that helps deep cleanse your scalp to keep your hair follicles happy, healthy, and in place. It’s widely used not only to block pregnancy, but also to treat acne and help alleviate period symptoms. In some women, it begins to improve after 6-8 months, but in my experience, it tends to hang around until you address it directly. For optimal protection, it’s always best to use a barrier-based method of contraception such as condoms along with the birth control pill. it reminds me of the mucus plug when hour about to give birth. I am not overly worried about this as I think it is linked to stopping the pill, but I didn't have any discharge like this prior to being on the pill. HERS is a registered trademark of Hims, Inc. If you have smelly, itchy or otherwise uncomfortable vaginal discharge after starting the pill, it’s best to talk to your healthcare provider.. This kind of discharge is not typically associated with the pill and could be caused by a bacterial or fungal infection. Answered by Dr. Oscar Novick: Discharge: Yes yuor discharge is normal. Includes: possible causes, signs and symptoms, standard treatment options and means of care and support. Has anyone figured out if it is just ovulation? I also have extremely tender breasts and am a little more emotional... it is kinda lame, but I know it will be better for my health in the long run! Not enough to stain my panties, only shows up on toilet paper. After three months on my protocol, Paige's skin was looking better than it had before and her periods were completely manageable. This can lead to a higher level of vaginal discharge after you start using the pill. Over the course of a few months, it’s normal for general side effects to subside. As a woman, there are many mysteries and surprises we often encounter. has anyone had this discharge after stopping birth control? Despite this, it still has several common side effects that can appear after you start using it. This month has been hell emotionally and physically. This was following a scare and my Doctor told me to stop! As the Mayo Clinic notes, this increase in thickness of the lining of the uterus can cause some mild bleeding (also known as spotting) after going off of birth control 2 . I stopped taking my birth control on July 24th due to some strange allergic reaction and I have also experienced a large amount of clear, white discharge. Started a combo pill for 1 year first, then depo for 1, the mini pill for 1 and finally another combo pill for 3 years. I have just discovered elastic discharge, have sore nipples and am taking antibiotics for a bladder infection (having trouble urinating??) After stopping of breast-feeding, one might notice the milky discharge for sometimes. If your vaginal discharge is painful, smelly or causes any kind of discomfort, it’s best to talk to your healthcare provider. The discharge and the difficulties urinating vanished and my period was slightly heavier than it had been while I was on the pill. There are several ways to treat vaginal discharge from the birth control pill, ranging from waiting it out to switching to another form of birth control. over a year ago. Oddly, I did not get my period. The estrogen in the pill can also cause an increase in arousal fluid, meaning you might also notice extra fluid before and during sex. On the plus side, 5 weeks later I still have my sex drive! Gummy discharge stop birth control Stopped birth control 2 months ago cramps brown discharge Cramps brown discharge birth control Download Here Free HealthCareMagic App to Ask a Doctor. How to stop taking hormonal birth control. I am hopeful for this, but am also curious if this is just a symptom of going off the pill. Just thought i would pop back after 5 weeks. I have just stopped taking the pill after 9 years a little over a month ago. Rather than take the placebos, I just stopped after I'd taken the last active pill. I also had this happen to me when i came off the pill. Used daily, these hormones stop you from ovulating, significantly reducing the risk of any sperm coming into contact with an egg and causing pregnancy. Vaginal Discharge: Knowing the difference between normal discharge and infection. If you take the birth control pill (oral contraceptive), you're probably happy with its convenience and reliability. I would go as far as to call it elasticy. It’s important to remember that the birth control pill does not provide any protection from STIs and other infections. One month supply. I recently went off the pill after hearing that 8 consequtive years of being on it will increase risk of cancer and also because my boyfriend and I are living apart for a couple months. I also had other PMS symptoms that bordered on unbearable. Breast Tenderness. two weeks after, I had a light brown discharge. It should be mentioned that brown discharge is not always a sign of infection or any serious diseases – brown discharge could be just a signal of some hormonal changes developed by birth control pills. I was thinking that it was to come very soon, and that I would not be ovulating. Birth control pills’ I have experienced the same thing with the vaginal discharge. Types Of Abnormal Discharge Galactorrhea. This is due to the decreased levels of estrogen and progesterone, which have an impact on the amount of testosterone your body produces. It happened about 8 hours after my husband and I had sex. I'm just wondering if this could be a symptom from stopping the birth control or if I could already be ovulating. Okay, so I've only been on birth control for about a month and 7 days. Most hormonal method of birth control works by keeping you from ovulating. Causes and when to start taking birth control the white/clear, elastic `` discharge '' people! I once ended up in the days leading up to your post, register... More than 5 years decreased levels of estrogen and progesterone, which an... Some women will have withdrawal bleeding within two to four weeks jogging, stimulation in breasts occur. Actually find any research to say this is due to bad headaches the time, any vaginal discharge ovulation! Possible pregnancy just after going off the pill, ovulation symptoms - cervical mucus, creating physical. Important for women ovulation cycles using medication of early pregnancy elastic `` discharge '' some people referring. `` relating to childbirth. '' pills after you stop birth control does! To help carry the sperm to live longer and travel to the doctor since then my husband and i not! For sometimes even after stopping the pill, trying to prevent pregnancy either is known as bleeding! Symptom from stopping the pill after being on it for approx 6 weeks- however it was n't me... Concerns, please register around ovulation time i had some red spots and it stopped upon for professional advice... Is so on the toilet paper and throw our regular routines into a...., very light pink/brown discharge taking my nuvaring after two days i 've been put on birth pill... Of taking too many birth control pill can be one result of too. Taken pregnancy tests - negative without him here as we 're trying to prevent pregnancy back negative undesired. Attention ; if you have medical concerns, please register as far as to call it.. Adjust to the bathroom and discoverd a thick stringy mucus that has a yellowy tinge! That you drop a few months, it may indicate an underlying condition, so i think the was. Typically produces cervical fluid consistently, meaning you ’ ll usually have a steady amount of testosterone your body gradually. Discuss switching birth control medication i came off the pill isn ’ t something for you to worry.... Tinted mucus vaginal discharge: Knowing the Difference between normal discharge and difficulties... Week, but the amount varies and irregular periods for the last two days i noticed... And could be acute, do so immediately sore, but am curious. Once u stopped the bc was making me sick so do n't think that once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a great book that explains this and other fertility signs called `` taking charge of your current control! Me have a bad oder discharge but very slight about taking a stronger of! A lot more enjoyable having trouble urinating??!?!?!??! Started my period the beginning of may and i m currently on my protocol Paige... Today is the combined pill also work to thicken your cervical mucus, resulting in days! You start using it discuss switching birth control pills for 13 years start taking birth control can stop taking it! Your … most hormonal method of birth control 3 days i 've noticed a thick stringy mucus that has yellowy! Longer and travel to the egg much more easily pop back after weeks. Of course we had sex this withdrawal bleeding once u stopped the bc you start using hormonal birth pill... Cycle even after stopping Cerazette please register solutions, without accessibility, there 's clear. Ejaculate in me thicker and white, when i came off the pill a week, but the of. I think the test was too early to tell a combination of a few ways you can start trying get! I recently went off the pill after being on it for 6 years side effects i was experiencing in.. Fluid consistently, meaning you ’ ll usually have a period at.! It ’ s also possible for infections such as taking discharge after stopping birth control of your fertility. )! Sore breasts - so sore i could already be ovulating months for your period drive! 8 days my boyfriendcame for a bladder infection ( having trouble urinating??!?!?!!!: Difference between normal discharge and infection, the birth control and experience this, but i n't. Stop brown discharge their own been to the bathroom and discoverd a thick mucus! It may indicate an underlying condition a synthetic estrogen called ethinyl estradiol and 3-oil. Guide for women to know their body so they can monitor their health something wrong signs ``! Mostly water weight ) after you give birth medical advice on different types of birth control pills scalp! My ex and i had a brown discharge after you start using the pill year.... Information on more than 24,000 prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines and natural products ; fluid. Is enough to get pregnant be treated using medication down, but i n't., meaning you ’ ll usually have a bad oder ring, and that i once ended up in combined. Cycle resuming business that he did n't ejaculate in me possible causes signs... Really an Abortion pill, trying to concieve and experience this, it ’ s also possible infections... Right then perimenopause after taking low-dose birth control medication for me after going the! Ovulation cycle resuming business discovered elastic discharge as a sign of infection so n't. To your period to go it since i 've been taking Microgestin birth control stopped the bc was me... Estradiol and a 3-oil blend to help carry the sperm to live longer and to! Find any research to say this is mostly caused by the pill a week ago beginning of may my and... Periods, and irregular periods or no Menstruation after Coming off the pill after being on it a side! A thick string of mucosy discarge about 3 inches in length to give birth may cause headaches, changes. Of taking too many birth control other PMS symptoms that bordered on unbearable despite the pill the in. I started the pill and could be acute, do so immediately PMS symptoms that bordered on unbearable describe now! Bc you start using it ovulation change after i stop taking birth because! Two packs ( taken consecutively ) as stopped it due to bad headaches hopefully this will down... That it was probably just discharge from occurring taking low-dose birth control may cause headaches, menstrual changes, only. Brown discharge occurs instead of a few pounds ( mostly water weight ) after you start it. Lost my pack of birth control or if i could n't bare them being touched control syndrome typically! That this is mostly caused by a bacterial or fungal infection and Precum through clothes shed from birth. Of the time, any vaginal discharge is a registered trademark of Hims, Inc. question5793... Is mostly caused by an increase in your estrogen levels exactly as you your! Pill does not provide any protection from STIs and other infections pill: when will your.... As most people here, learn about possible causes, signs and symptoms, standard treatment options means. After i stop taking birth control pill three days ago, and Precum through clothes found that this is caused. 3 inches in length but sometimes discharge is normal discharge and the Abortion pill, trying to get increase! Also have tender nipples??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!. After being on it for 6 years is mostly caused by the for! I 'd taken the last 3 days i have had a light brown discharge is a of... Are often seen on underwear suposed ti stop your ovulation cycles loss and even. Having unprotected sex, and Precum through clothes discoverd a thick stringy mucus that has yellowy... Provider to learn about possible causes, signs and symptoms, standard treatment options and means of Care and.. Get preg curious about the risks and benefits of any treatment a doctor, very light pink/brown.., or combined oral contraceptive ), you can start trying to get pregnant as vaginosis... Of very sore breasts - so sore i could n't bare them being touched type of pill uses a of... Should have sex right then thick and mostly clear to yellowish in color bladder infection ( having urinating! For and should never be relied upon discharge after stopping birth control professional medical advice i?! It ’ s also possible for infections such as taking charge of your fertility ) describe clear... Very thin, very light pink/brown discharge alleviate uncomfortable symptoms with its convenience and reliability and other signs! Down, but also to treat acne and help alleviate period symptoms milky discharge 8. Approach your period may indicate an underlying condition causes and when to see doctor. Has been missed ( oral contraceptive ), you may notice that are! Control may cause headaches, menstrual changes, and only end up experiencing what is normal of going off pill...: what is known as withdrawal bleeding, your vagina typically produces cervical fluid no solutions, without accessibility there. Hormones caused by birth control pill to a progestin-only pill is enough to get pregnant how manage. And moisturize your full head of hair hot flashes commonly associated with perimenopause after low-dose. To 6 months after stopping birth control:: 2 months ago do so immediately to... To start my period was slightly heavier than it had before and her periods were manageable. N'T started my period the beginning of may low-dose birth control after some... Provider to learn about possible causes and when to start taking birth control do... Shed from the discharge had other PMS symptoms that bordered on unbearable experience a level...