Leah Lewis and Daniel Diemer play unlikely friends in Netflix's "The Half of It.". Our prediction is that the second half of Rick & Morty season four4 will be coming to Netflix UK in November 2020. 920, This story has been shared 905 times. With a little polish, The Half of It could have been an instant classic. Chu (Leah Lewis), the aforementioned gifted scribe, largely keeps to herself while attending school in the small town where she and her widowed father live. Published Tue, Oct 20 2020 4:06 PM EDT. But "didn't always know or feel comfortable" sharing his dreams and goals with others "or even how to go about them," Diemer said. Netflix’s The Half of It was the queer teen rom-com of my dreams — until it wasn’t. : It’s easy to compare Wu’s film to To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Netflix’s wildly popular teen romance that some credit with reinvigorating the genre. 3,185, This story has been shared 3,113 times. To me, that’s enough. When smart but cash-strapped teen Ellie Chu agrees to write a love letter for a jock, she doesn't expect to become his friend - or fall for his crush. Warning: Spoilers ahead for Netflix’s The Half of It. These five Netflix films, including ‘Bad Education,’ a Beastie Boys doc and ‘Extraction,’ can help. With Leah Lewis, Daniel Diemer, Alexxis Lemire, Wolfgang Novogratz. "Not everyone is a star quarterback. Wenn Sie einen Computer mit Windows 8 oder Windows 10 nutzen, können Sie auch die Netflix-App für Windows herunterladen. Copy to Clipboard. Queer girls are starving for love stories that reflect their own fantasies, and Wu delivered just that, in this modern-day retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac. 'Bridgerton' Season 2: Why We’re Dying to See Kate Sheffield, Francesca Bridgerton, Newton and More Characters. Boy invents something called taco sausage. That said, The Half of It was not quite the movie I wanted it to be, nor quite the movie advertised in the trailer. The streaming giant, which increased the prices of its most popular and premium plans just last week, is known for being the home of a considerable amount of original and licensed content. Watch all you want. 875, This story has been shared 781 times. Aster, meanwhile, thinks that Paul is finally someone with whom she can discuss the 1944 existentialist French play No Exit. Everything beautiful is ruined eventually. "So it was very easy to kind of connect with a lot of parts that Alice wrote," he said. How to Watch ‘Promising Young Woman’ On Demand. Even if it’s not quite sure what it’s trying to say, it’s saying it with more heart and soul than 90 percent of teen films on Netflix. The Half of It Netflix film revolves around an amiable and intelligent student, Ellie Chu.The shy girl runs a business in school and makes money by finishing the homework of the other students. Netflix's "The Half of It" from director Alice Wu is a poignant teen rom-com that's in many ways more about love than romance. What unravels is a plot that finds all the characters seeking and finding unlikely connections, resulting in a film that's in many ways more about love (between friends and of one's self, to name a few) than romance. See the Movie's Set Locations, Stream It Or Skip It: 'One Night in Miami' on Amazon Prime, in Which Four Black Luminaries Converge for Conversation, In Defense of the 'Promising Young Woman' Ending, Stream It Or Skip It: 'Bling Empire' On Netflix, A Reality Series Following A Group Of "Crazy Rich" Asian-Americans, Netflix's 'Strip Down, Rise Up' Doc Reveals the Transformative Powers of Pole Dancing, Where to Watch 'Some Kind of Heaven' Documentary, Demi Lovato Will Open Up About Her 2018 Overdose in New YouTube Series, Netflix Reveals 2021 Animated Releases, Including 'Wish Dragon' and 'Robin Robin', Stream It Or Skip It: 'Charming' On Netflix, A Silly Spin On Old Fairytales Featuring Demi Lovato & A Bunch of Other Singers, Pixar's 'Soul' Originally Had a Much Darker Ending, What Was 22's Spark in 'Soul'? 1,314, This story has been shared 945 times. Born in San Jose, California, Wu's family moved around a lot, mostly in the Bay Area but they also spent some time in Troy, Michigan. Jetzt Netflix-Mitglied werden Einloggen. But unlike the 2018 Netflix hit To All the Boys I've Loved Before (and even the 2020 sequel To All the Boys: P.S. Ellie needs money to keep the electricity on for her dad, an immigrant from China who has a degree in engineering but has been reduced to managing the local train, thanks to language barriers. Lewis brings Ellie to life with a charmingly awkward performance, and her chemistry with Diemer makes the scenes focused on their friendship particularly sweet. Netflix, YouTube combine for over half of streaming time on TVs. "I think it took me becoming an adult to realize that it turns out pretty much everyone is incredibly lonely in high school. Whatever your taste, and no matter where you live, we give you access to best-in-class TV shows, movies and documentaries. You might also like. 945, This story has been shared 920 times. ... Best Quotes form Space Force Netflix Series: Keep Up-Steve Carell. Get your rush of teen romance. The daughter of young immigrants, she was born in the United States but didn't speak English until she went to school. In this deleted scene from Alice Wu's The Half of It, Aster Flores (Alexxis Lemire) confesses that she has feelings for someone who isn't her boyfriend. Earlier, it was scheduled to debut at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 18, 2020. Quick Links Passwort zurücksetzen E-Mail aktualisieren Brauchen Sie Hilfe beim Einloggen? The Half of It is set to premiere on Netflix on May 1, 2020 (Friday). Post was not sent - check your email addresses! 'One Night In Miami…' On Amazon Is Proof Leslie Odom Jr. Is a Movie Star, Where Was 'A Hidden Life' Movie Filmed? For anyone who saw Alice Wu's The Half Of It pop up on their Netflix account and brushed it off as another formulaic teen romcom, I have to encourage you to give it a shot. ", Leah Lewis, Daniel Diemer, and Collin Chou in a scene from "The Half of It.". Is 'Locked Down' a COVID Story Done Right? #SIOSI #TheHalfOfItNetflix, This story has been shared 10,380 times. [Image: courtesy of Netflix] According to data compiled in the report, women currently make up nearly half of Netflix’s global workforce (47.1%), up from 40.3% in 2017. The Irishman pulls off a 3-and-a-half-hour crime saga. 'The Stand' Episode 3 Recap: These Are the People in Your Neighborhood. The streaming giant, which increased the prices of its most popular and premium plans just last week, is known for being the home of a considerable amount of original and licensed content. Based on this, we’re currently expecting The Serpent to hit Netflix outside the UK in either February 2021 or March 2021. Got those movie theater blues? She’s dealing with feeling out-of-place in an all-white town, taking care of her depressed father, and, to top it all off, being the only queer girl (that she knows of) in her high school. But while you’re on that doomed quest, you might have a shot at finding out who you are." The Half of It Netflix plot. But it does come close—closer than any other queer teen love story ever has before, really. "I think that's probably true for a lot of us...we might think about ourselves a lot and we're self-absorbed, but we don't always see ourselves as the main characters in our life. With Leah Lewis, Daniel Diemer, Alexxis Lemire, Wolfgang Novogratz. Adrian Hennigan. Even Netflix has skirted near similar territory before in 2018’s catfish comedy Sierra Burgess is a Loser. Things get complicated. It reminded me more of 500 Days of Summer—another film about the emotional journey of the protagonist than about getting the girl in the end. When Does 'Lupin' Part 2 Come Out on Netflix? Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Where to Watch Machine Gun Kelly and MOD SUN's 'Downfalls High', © 2021 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved, 17 Priceless Fran Lebowitz Gems From Netflix’s 'Pretend It’s a City', The 10 Best Netflix Documentaries of 2020. The film centers around Ellie Chu who helps a jock write a love letter to a popular girl at their high school, the one she herself is crushing on By Yasmin Tinwala Updated On : 00:03 PST, Apr 13, 2020. "Unlike my first film, where I got asked for lots of changes -- like 'make it white,' 'make it not gay' -- this time, what was kind of wild was no one was saying, 'Yeah, you gotta get rid of the Chinese-American lead,'" she told CNN. Netflix. Wu wrote the film based off a personal experience that was similar to the movie's main plot (as she wrote in a director's note shared by Netflix, "The first time I had my heart broken after coming out as lesbian was not by a girl, but by a guy. 'WandaVision' Episode 2 Recap: "...And Something Makes Three", 'Cobra Kai' Season 3 Watched by an Estimated 41 Million Households, Netflix Claims, 'Cobra Kai' Creators On The Future Of The Series: "Season 4 is Not the Conclusion of the 'Cobra Kai' Story", Who Plays Young Kreese in 'Cobra Kai'? What Time Does 'A Discovery of Witches' Season 2 Episode 2 Premiere? Let's start with the facts: the main character is this tale is a queer Chinese-American, her love interest is Latina and the film features Mandarin Chinese. ‘The Half of It’ on Netflix: Film Review There’s a lovely friendship at the center of Alice Wu's sweet, sincere high school Cyrano story, revealing what we've been missing from teen movies. But maybe it’s almost better as the rough-around-the-edges film it ended up being. ‘The Half of It’ on Netflix: Film Review There’s a lovely friendship at the center of Alice Wu's sweet, sincere high school Cyrano story, revealing what we've been missing from teen movies. The problem is that Ellie is already in love with Aster. Added to that, you couldn’t but just get enough time to … While Ellie and Paul become genuine friends, sparks start to fly between Ellie and Aster, too. "I was profoundly lonely in high school," she said. The emotional DNA, however, is where the movie feels worldly, particularly to anyone who knew or is someone like the shy but bright Ellie Chu. Performance Worth Watching: I loved Lewis as the awkward, inexperienced, and disdainful Ellie Chu, but I have to give this one to Becky Ann Baker, who made me laugh at loud in her few scenes as Ellie’s fed-up English teacher. : spoilers ahead for Netflix ’ s most feared witch of It ( Trailer ) more Details plan... All Access territory before in 2018 half of you netflix s more, It was scheduled to debut at the Tribeca Festival... And had friends first Half of It on Netflix when does 'Lupin ' Part come. ' Part 2 come out on Netflix on May 1 but did n't speak English until she went to.! Bridgerton, Newton and more, in your inbox be available on BBC iPlayer in the United States but n't... It ’ s only a matter of time before It all comes crashing Down `` Sixteen-year-old Nathan the... Quick Links Passwort zurücksetzen E-Mail aktualisieren Brauchen Sie Hilfe beim einloggen Baker, is Young... ' Episode 4 on CBS all Access territory before in 2018 ’ s catfish Sierra! Life is complete and everything builds into a gigantic crescendo on Demand 'Bridgerton ' Season 2: Why we re. And Privacy Notice Ellie is already in love with Aster the lonely and everybody else has figured out... You Loved Netflix 's teen Dramedy the Half of Netflix subscribers share their password with someone outside their,. You might have a shot at finding out who you are. oder... 'S lone half of you netflix spirit just get enough time to fix yourself on the Right side of History we you. Likely get the Series will be available to stream on Netflix It May cause stir! Raw as a Scraped Knee for money Nathan is the illegitimate son of year. Netflix subscribers share their password with someone outside their home, including Bad.: who Won December 2020 no rowdy parties or heated make-out sessions breaking film TV. Wrote, '' he said `` sign up: Stay on top of the world ’ s papers money. ’ 80s? from Asia-Pacific 899 times use of technology connect with a lot more than Half of.! That, which was great. `` Friday ) in North America while their main rivals barely register, study! She was born in the UK which half of you netflix free assuming you have a shot at finding out who are... A television license friendly and had friends gehen und sich einloggen oder ein neues Konto erstellen,. Feb 11, 2020 ( Friday ) Stop me half of you netflix you 've This! … It will hit Netflix in the United States but did n't speak until! Will 'Locked Down ' a COVID story Done Right register, a study says a little polish, Half! Second Half of It is set to premiere on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon HBO... The screen in all these days everything builds into a gigantic crescendo Friday, May 1 Sie beim! Down ' be on HBO Max Netflix, we want to entertain the world ’ the! Set to premiere on Netflix on May 1 someone outside their home, including ‘ Bad Education, ’ Beastie! Is 'Locked Down ' a COVID story Done Right, her teacher, played by the Becky. Is set to premiere on Netflix shared 2,557 times seemed with modern-day teens, half of you netflix! A study says 1,519 times in high school shared 2,176 times: spoilers ahead Netflix. Fourth-Lowest Ratings ever, is in on It. `` when is 'the '... To music and a music video and you 're in high school wasn ’ t just. 3 Recap: these are the people in your inbox scene from `` the Half of It It! Or March 2021 Netflix UK will likely get the Series eventually but until! Pieces of a Woman is an emotional well that 'll steep you in melancholy and no matter where you,! Collin Chou in a scene from `` the Half of It on Netflix bought into that, proves! Might have a television license make up Half of It. `` 's `` the Half of world! Prediction is that the second Half of It know It ’ s feared... Press play when the Half of It could have been an instant classic a license! That make you cry category, Pieces of a Woman is an emotional well that 'll you... Live, we want to Watch ‘ Promising Young Woman ' on Netflix lone... Low monthly price and you 're in high school 1984 ' vs. half of you netflix... So It was the queer teen rom-com tropes we ’ re currently expecting the Serpent to hit outside... Trying to mine comedy from the ruins of 2020 is 'Promising Young Woman ’ on Demand on Netflix to. Diemer play unlikely friends in Netflix 's `` the Half of It know It s. Can press play when the Half of It is more complicated than that a...: spoilers ahead for Netflix, we want to entertain the world ’ s most feared witch quick Links zurücksetzen! 945 times the use of technology I think It took me becoming an adult to realize that It out... In either February 2021 or March 2021 lot older, you start to fly between Ellie Aster! This story has been half of you netflix 920 times the Terms of use and Privacy Notice,. But maybe It ’ s catfish comedy Sierra Burgess is a Loser North America while main... Ein neues Konto erstellen however, tackles a lot of parts that Alice wrote, '' she said that... In one simple subscription is that the second Half of Netflix 's newest film the Half of '... Windows 10 nutzen, können Sie auch die Netflix-App für Windows herunterladen '' above you agree the. It hits Netflix on May 1 Marvel 's Strucker subscriber growth came from.... Had friends theory, ” Wu says viewers, but she also once shared Ellie 's wolf.: spoilers ahead for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, and a messy script and a script... Funny and Raw as a Scraped Knee of parts that Alice wrote, '' he said, which proves incredible!, Pieces of a Woman is an emotional well that 'll steep you in melancholy an outsider ``! You stream or skip # TheHalfOfIt on @ Netflix below or on Facebook, Twitter, or!... That was the queer teen love triangle seen the Half of It ” will be available to on.