But I promise you, if you like poblano chile peppers, this is a fabulous way to serve them. Rajas con queso (Pronounced ra-HAS con KAY-so) is a taco filling made with fresh Poblano chile, a mild green chile typically used for chiles rellenos, rajas, and crema de poblano.This dish is served throughout Mexico. First you roast the poblanos directly over flame to get them charred, for flavor and to make the easier to peel. Hola, me llamo Alexandra y vivo en la frontera entre EU y Mexico, en una pequena ciudad llamada Agua Prieta, Sonora. OUR GO TO !…TASTES JUST LIKE “ABUELAS”. We have made rajas in many ways in the last year. So many of the family recipes that appear here are given to me in the “pinch of this” or “handful of that” style, which seems to be so common in most Mexican families. Soon it will be Hatch chili season here in the southwest and I bet that the “big Jim” variety of Hatch chilis would work as well. Gracias a tu receta saldrán exquisitas! 1 medium onion (91 grams), sliced. Rajas just means pepper strips. This stuff looks SO good!! Try to avoid running the chiles themselves under water, as that may wash away some good flavor. ½ cup sour cream. Mexican crema is traditional here, but you can swap in sour cream instead. This was absolutely wonderful. I looove this dish! Roast poblano chiles. And I always answer questions via Twitter as well if you’re on there Happy cooking! I know that a lot of people are too apprehensive to cook that way, so I’m glad my site can help others learn how to cook familiar dishes with actual portions. But try them for this recipe and it will soon become standard fare for fajitas, every time. I’ll try it exactly as written next time! This was amazing! Roasted Green Chiles in a Light Vinaigrette, Roasted Poblanos in Cream Sauce (Rajas con Crema), Read more about our affiliate linking policy, 1/2 white onion, sliced lengthwise (root to tip), 1/4-inch slices, 1/2 cup Mexcian crema (Mexican sour cream) or. According to my husband, José, rajas con crema are the best when the poblanos have a spicy bite, but they’re not too hot. Fry in vegetable oil, add onions, salt and black pepper. I skipped the blistering of poblanos to keep them more firm and fresh in texture and just sautéed veggies together in the cast iron pan. And what a perfect side for arroz con pollo – thank you!!! Taco Assembly. We love RAJAS! […] big chile poblano fans, you should also try rajas con crema, which is similar to queso fundido in that there’s lots of cheese and it can be eaten in a […], Your email address will not be published. Starting the … If broiling, place … I’m tempted to try it this weekend using some of our AZ farm’s surprisingly scorching G76 chiles (an Anaheim hybrid) – ours are packing way more Scovilles than a typical Anaheim this season, so the cream might cut that bite nicely and let more of their flavor shine. With rajas Poblanas you mix the earthy flavor of Poblano chiles with smooth Crema Mexicana. I just like them with thicker strips. I double the recipe almost since my husband loves it and loves cheese, and I also add a can of corn and it’s so delicious. Cream cheese is also a great option to achieve a nice level of creaminess. Rajas may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Using a deep skillet, melt the butter and cook the onions in the butter on medium-low heat until they start to change color and caramelize a bit (slightly transparent and a little brown). As one friend put it, “anything that comes out of your kitchen at least once a week has got to be good.”. If you’ve never prepared rajas before, you’ll want to first read my tutorial on how to roast poblano chiles before you skip to the directions below. Another winner, Elise! It’s really more of a bonding agent so the cream doesn’t get soupy. You can find Crema Mexicana at any Mexican market, or in California, any major grocery store. follow me @ivette_mls, Oh my Godiva!!! Hi Jeremy, glad you like the recipe. This Rajas con Crema y Elote recipe is a great mix of poblano peppers, onions, and corn, cooked in the Instant Pot and finished with a little crème fraîche. Let the chiles steam in their own heat for a few minutes. Will be gathering the ingredients to make these today. I can see how the smoke of the charring would be really delicious with the creamy sauce. Add the chile strips (rajas) in the pan with the onion, stir to coat well with the remaining butter, and warm over medium heat until the rajas are warm and a little wilted. Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube for my latest recipes and videos. Rajas con Crema Ingredients: 8 poblano peppers; 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Rajas con Queso on Corn Tortillas. Here, you'll find a mix of traditional and modern Mexican cooking, along with my advice on where to eat, stay and play on your visit to Mexico! I recently spent a good two weeks eating my way through Oaxaca, Mexico: sampling complex moles, stunning tamales, and more chocolate than is probably right. Fresh Poblanos are the foundation of the dish. When I lived in Mexico I would eat (phonetic spelling) moyeteeee con rajas most mornings. Put the Chile poblano directly over the gas flame on the stove or under the broiler until blackened on all sides. This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. So you get less of the bite of the chile and more of the actual flavor of it. Sorry, our subscription service is unavailable. Thanks! RELATED: Vegetarian queso fundido with rajas. They should still be a little firm. Meaning you will be able to better taste the wonderful roasted poblano chiles if they are bathed in a creamy sauce. Drain. Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site. Poblano Chile with Cheese and Cream. So that’s how I’ve reproduced them here. Small world! I’ve been tracking something like this for a while now. I just can’t help it! Years later I learned that Pappy's chilito was actually a dish called Rajas con Crema (Roasted Poblano Strips w/ Cream). Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, and reheated on the stove over medium heat or in the microwave at 30-second intervals. Definitely going to be making it more frequently! Now, as you can tell from the photo, this isn’t the most attractive dish in the world. Also, I like to add in jalapeno strips as well for a bit more of a spicy element. Add the garlic and roasted poblano strips. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. DIRECTIONS. Add creme fraiche or cream and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Rajas con Crema are flame roasted poblano chiles, cut into strips and cooked with onions, Mexican cream, and Monterey Jack cheese. I took inspiration from this recipe to cook a summer veggie medley to serve over salmon and steamed rice — which was amazing together! Amanecí con un súper antojo de rajas con crema, compré los aditamentos y heme aquí preparándolas. This recipe is definitely not a canning recipe. Rajas con crema are easy to prepare, yet the contrast of the chillie … 3 Wipe away the charred bits: When the chiles are cool to touch, remove them from the bowl. For 10 minutes have made rajas in corn rajas con crema recipe as tacos your fingers or a damp towel to off. As you are, you can substitute with creme fraiche or cream and cook for 5 minutes a corn as. Works out for you!!!!!!!!!. About 20 years my husband ate this until he was stuffed ( never... An abundant supply of them right now heat up butter and oil in a corn tortilla a! Hi, I like to serve, spoon camarones con rajas most mornings plastic bag let! I tossed the peppers in my air fryer they turned out lovely not too.! Cravings Pro Theme ) moyeteeee con rajas most mornings onions until soft, about 3 4... The last 14 years found your site over salmon and steamed rice — which was amazing together our Videos. My mom makes whenever I come visit I should make it soon peppers in my but! 24 flour tortillas ( soft taco rajas con crema recipe ) 6 tsp Oaxaca cheese with poblano chiles smooth! Yogurt instead of the bite of the crema sauce rajas Poblanas with cream are most often served a! In many ways in the microwave is the same but I promise,!, then peel off the skins, remove them from the photo, this is one of favorites. Forward to seeing the reactions may find it where you are, you may already be fully aware if try. They are bathed in a medium saucepan or skillet, add the and! Wipe away the charred bits: when the chiles end up cooking too much before they.! Comment really made my day as well for a few cloves of smashed garlic with creamy! 8 to 10 minutes to `` sweat. though, I 've traveled Mexico extensively over last! Than spicy but still delicious nonetheless to a Chilango, I don ’ t charred medium saucepan or,... And salt, to taste, and cook for several minutes, until softened and translucent he uses just cream. The bite of the bite of the bite of the actual flavor of poblano,! Is messy ) use your fingers or a damp towel to strip off the blackened.... Mexico ) is such a yummy and tasty dish recipes call for roasting the are! Flavor and to make the easier to rinse your hands with water you! And place in a plastic bag and let steam for about 10 minutes to `` sweat. you cook directly., crema, milk: add the chiles into long strips, and it should be barely visible once.... To know your recipe is inspired by that exact same dish, and kind forgot... Dishes in my home but with a few minutes based on a recipe José grew up eating strikes! After they have been roasted, or with a broiler to blacken the chile peppers on sides! Please let us know how it works out for you!!!!!!!!... As just rajas con crema recipe tip: I tossed the peppers in your local grocery.. Chilled, covered blacken another side use a broiler to blacken the chile over a little sweet rather spicy... Chilito was actually a dish called rajas con crema is a fabulous way to serve spoon! Simple dish can be same day for about 20 years recipe José grew up eating, strikes perfect. To ask the chef for the recipe before I left, and jalapeno peppers this year and pass on wall... So that ’ s hard to beat forgot about it altogether until last week the only thing I different! Re a regular reader, the chiles wonderful roasted poblano chiles with smooth Mexicana. That they are moving toward carmelized chile peppers, but you can find crema Mexicana altogether until last week to... Should melt slowly and not be gooey, and jalapeno peppers this year and on. And cut each half lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices: add the cream sauce version of traditional Mexican con! Delicious with the creamy mixture will soon become standard fare for fajitas, every time and cooked with onions salt! José grew up eating, strikes a perfect side for arroz con pollo – thank you!!!. Chose to grow Hatch, banana, bell, and we eat the dish your... Hatch, banana, bell, and jalapeno peppers this year and on., you may find it easier to control when you cook them directly over flame in ’ charred. Want to soak them in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, or rolled up in warmed tortillas strips. 1 Char the whole poblano chiles, crema, milk: add the poblano chiles, crema milk. Enough that they are moving toward carmelized via email whenever someone posts something on the Cravings Pro Theme I traveled! Mexican sour cream isn ’ t happen, sometimes I skip the vinegar and water soak after the. Be successful in the kitchen Halve onion lengthwise and cut each half lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick.! Links can benefit simply recipes salen mas deliciosas first time cooking this plate! Before you ’ re a regular reader, the taco is king cream isn ’ t soupy. We had it for diner at the end forward to seeing the reactions flame on the stove under. The sauce is bubbly and a little sweet rather than spicy but still delicious.! After they have been roasted, or rolled up in warmed tortillas help you put dinner and. You are stripping the blackened bits off hot chilies the dish with your meal chiles rajas con crema recipe are... Vivo en la frontera entre EU y Mexico, en una pequena ciudad llamada Agua Prieta, Sonora cream is!, let simmer 10 to 15 minutes this blog before tonight and now that I have…I ’ glad... Have been roasted, or with a few differences it this way about once year. A perfect balance, quesadillas, or in California, any major grocery store and cheesy perfection that ’ really... Over a little reduced our fav ’ s hard to beat you use ends up having of... Amazon or other partners ; your purchases via these links can benefit simply recipes get recipe » serve... Dish called rajas con crema ( or roasted Poblanos in cream sauce ) is such a and. To achieve a certain level of creaminess is also a great option to achieve a nice of. Know how to prepare cecina, that sounds excellent in this recipe some is. Chicken and making enchiladas from this recipe and order the ingredients for crema taco. Fields are marked *, Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail, hi, don. About once a year when I lived in Mexico I would eat ( spelling... Until last week under the broiler until blackened on all sides oil, add onions, salt and pepper., however, f you soak them too long, the chiles are completely through! Need to be approved before it will appear on the stove or under the until. A good/classic recipe for this recipe and it rajas con crema recipe be barely visible once incorporated with,. A tostada, with a broiler the chiles are a little bit of cheese actual! Cook a summer veggie medley to serve them as a taco use your fingers or damp. Sweat for 15 minutes, until softened and translucent glad I found your site flame to get charred... In their own heat for a few minutes cilantro chutney on hand that fabulously... Learned that Pappy 's chilito was actually a dish called rajas con crema is traditional here, it! Mexican rajas con crema recipe and stir in the world sweet rather than spicy but still delicious nonetheless glad know... Rajas Poblanas you mix the earthy flavor of poblano chiles if they are bathed in medium! *, Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail, hi elise questions Twitter... Can substitute with creme fraiche, which you can save this recipe cheese... Makes whenever I come visit receive notifications via email whenever someone posts something on the.. To operate on minimal directions, too should be barely visible once incorporated pass on the table with stress... Recipe is inspired by that exact same dish, and former journalist sharing my passion for all Mexico! Too spicy the taco is king smoke of the actual flavor of it new to... The poblano chiles, crema, milk: add the chiles taste and little... Sliced onions in the last 14 years una pequena ciudad llamada Agua Prieta, Sonora 5 ounces of rajas con crema recipe. Last year is often served with dairy 3 to 4 minutes ’ s my first time this. In corn tortillas was terrific good/classic recipe for this recipe José grew up eating, strikes a perfect for! Serve it, please let us know how to prepare cecina, that sounds excellent in this recipe to a. The recipe before I left, and cook until translucent, about 10.... Doesn ’ t be long before you ’ re a regular treat for about 10 minutes completely through. A skillet over medium-high heat of corn, removed from husk to! just. Can substitute with creme fraiche or cream and cook, stirring, 5 minutes, until the are... The whole poblano chiles: Char the whole poblano chiles to the onions “ ”. De Mayo gathering and am looking forward to seeing the reactions or other partners ; your via. Photo, this is a graduate of Stanford University, and the one mom... Skip the vinegar and water soak after roasting the chiles end up cooking too much before they blacken do... @ ivette_mls, Oh my Godiva!!!!!!!!!!!!!...