Install lifetime warranty I’m also assuming that it was a 3-tab (low cost) shingles, not architectural shingles used on the job. Are both companies willing to cut in the soffit vents for you? I live in a 1,750 sq. Keep in mind that the average size of a roof is 1,700 square feet, so your total will likely be 10% higher or lower than this figure. A typical roof replacement quote will normally include the removal and disposal of up to two layers of old shingles. If you don’t know the number of existing layers, it’s OK. ranch house using asphalt roof shingles. Calculated quickly on a per foot basis, you can see that a bigger roof will almost always lead to a higher cost. New Roof Cost Calculator Breakdown. $1,200 extra to install ridge vents is way too expensive and also a bit disingenuous, because ridge vents should be a normal part of the re-roofing job, and hence should not cost more than maybe a couple hundred dollars extra, in our view. This free tool brought to you by Hard Hatters Roofing LLC is for people who want an average or Soft Cost to install a new asphalt shingle roof in New Castle County Delaware based on our rates and your inputs. $15,000 quote here for a 20×20 garage rebuild, so $22,000 to include a roof is absolutely possible on a house around 1,500 sq. I was not able to get them any lower than $10,000. I live in a Seattle suburb and am currently considering a quote that’s a little over $1k per square, or $10 per sq. The average 2,000 square foot single story home will range from $9,000 to $11,000 or more depending on the type of shingle used. If I choose not to upgrade to those expensive options, should I at least upgrade the turtle vents to slack back vents? Thanks. Big difference in price is subcontractors vs. a company that has their own in house Install team that are GAF Master Elite Certified. Having this issue where ever ice guard was used and not covered with felt. Estimate was $38,000. Just one ladder to get up or access the bottom of the roof on ladder jacks and a plank. Solar Roof is the only roof that can help pay for itself with the energy you produce. Out of leggos? Asphalt felt requires a button tab every 4 inches, staples are not allowed! Your location influences the preferred choice for shingles and project costs. Regarding the ventilation of the roof, ridge vents should be a standard item on any roof where there are soffit vents already in place. What do you think? d11 = 0.5; d12 = precision_number1+0.5 I went with the quote #2 and so far so good. My roofer charges me $0 extra for the tear off, so that is included. It’s who you hire first, which should be the major point of consideration. Depending on the type and overall complexity of the roof (number of floors/levels, number of skylights, chimneys, and dormers, ease of access, and overall roof difficulty), choice of shingles, your home’s geographic location, and the contractor or weekend warrior you choose to hire, your total average cost for a composition shingles roof could range from as low as $3.00 to as high as $7.50 per square foot or $300 to $750 per square installed. For comparison, a 30 squares roof on a larger house will cost between $10,500 and $16,500 for a basic 30-year architectural asphalt shingle roof fully installed. Based on the details you shared, it sounds like you have a single story ranch with a fairly simple roof (inferred from the square footage of the floor plan vs. the roof surface area), plus a garage. if (! }). If the first company is unwilling to offer the discount, then you should probably consider going with the second company. We’ll let you be the judge. 25 % Trades people £1,125. We’re assuming you are going with architectural shingles, not 3-tab, since you want a long-lasting roof. The counteroffer amount of $8,200 seems totally fair, here is why: 1. simple gable roof, we have a price of over $500 per square. Well I can tell you that certainly ain’t the remodelers that have been in business for 25 years and are processing 10-15 roof replacements per week. I have yet to come up with another solution besides these two: 1) Cut the tabs off with a hook blade and leave the remaining shingle, or 2) tear up the first 3′ of deck and replace it. You are correct in assuming that Home Depot has an enormous mark-up on its home services, while contractors that ultimately install the roof, get paid a set amount per sq. It would also be helpful to know whether the estimates include the removal and disposal of old shingles. This includes all materials, including insulation, tear off and professional labor. As you begin to calculate various costs, you will see that the cost is a result of the interplay of many different variables, including roof area (in terms of footage), measurement of any roof extras (like chimneys or skylights), and the dimensions of your roof. It came off in trophy sized sheets. were extras. If you’ve bought a conservatory in the past 20 years, it probably came with a polycarbonate roof. Those are very important intangibles to consider. Where are you located and was there any justification for the prices offered by the two high bidders? Zinc Roofing Costs, Benefits, and ROI in 2021 – Pricing & Buying Guide, Metal Wall Panels – Metal Cladding Installation, Synthetic Composite Slate & Shake Roofing Costs: Davinci Roofscapes, EnviroShake Pros & Cons, Flat Roof Materials & Installation Costs 2021: PVC vs. TPO, EPDM, BUR, Most Important Questions to Ask a Roofing Contractor Before Signing a Contract, Major Exterior Remodeling Upgrades, Plus Costs & ROI, Top 10 Causes of Roof Leaks & How to Repair them, Top 5 Energy Efficient Home Improvements and their Costs, https://www.roofingcalc.com/most-important-questions-ask-a-roofing-contractor/, Top 10 Ways Not to Hire a Roofer! 25 % Scaffolding £1,125. If that’s what the contractor’s report recommends, then it’s a good idea to discuss this ahead of time. Materials, pitch, and surface area are just three of them. All professional roofers use “squares” to measure and estimate roofs. m.), the cost of installation works (50-100% of the cost of the material), the cost of additional work and materials. is what largely determines the roof price in addition to the number of stories on your house and your location. Hi, I am located in Littlestown, PA. My roof is 42 squares and I am looking to get it replaced with premium shingles. In summary, we have a simple gable roof on a single-story ranch, with only one layer of old shingles to be removed. Note: Owens Corning also has a certified contractor program called Owens Corning Platinum Preferred Contractor. It’s also important to do your due diligence when selecting a roofing contractor to make sure they have a worker’s comp, umbrella insurance, and an overall decent track record of success in delivering quality service. Should I insist my roofer to replace the step flashing with the new one? wlroofpitch1 = Math.ceil(wllength*wlwidth*wlroofpitch); The bottom-line is that you shouldn’t pay this until you see the proof of additional work the contractor is claiming they’ve performed. A felted flat roof for a small garage will be much cheaper than a slate roof for a four-bedroom detached home, for example. Low pitch ranches on new or go-overs need no staging. — I imagine the storms are a real threat in Louisiana, so architectural shingles would be a preferred choice for a roof, since it will offer much better protection from the strong wind uplift. As we mentioned earlier, many contractors also price their jobs on a per square installed basis. Project pricing examples: Based on the $350 to $550 per square pricing range, you can expect to pay between $6,000 and $9,350 for a typical 17 squares asphalt shingle roof replacement project. Roof Replacement Cost. Labor $4,800. Correct? Enter Your Zip Code. For example, a steel roof will typically cost less than an aluminum roof. Note: we don’t see a whole lot of difference between 3-tab shingles and 30-year architectural shingles in terms of price. Landmark Pro shingle offers a 15-year algae-resistance warranty vs. 10 years for Landmark shingle. There are also many older roofs that have several layers of asphalt shingles baked onto the roof deck. }); $2,600 for 30 square? Where in the country are you located? Get a free roofing cost estimate for your project. quote 1: A local GAF master elite, HAAG certified roofer bid $750 / square for 25-year labor warranty (GAF Gold Pledge). $('.wlinp1').val(''); Whether it’s 3-tab or architectural shingle, it doesn’t really change the cost of overhead or labor all that much for us. In other words, we believe a 10% discount on the quoted price is completely reasonable, given the local real estate values and the overall size of this project. Now, what do you guys charge for a typical roof replacement per square in Louisiana for say; an average house requiring the removal and disposal of the old roof, some deck repair here and there, as needed, re-flashing chimneys/skylights, and installing architectural shingles over say deck armor underlayment, and ridge vent. Step flashing and any other previous flashing should only be re-used if it’s in great condition and there is no damage to the roof deck. This gives us a price range of $8,000 to $10,000. $25 per 4 ft length of ridge vent, my roofer charges $0 to cut the ridge, but I usually pay him a little extra for the effort. That rings true for my situation. For the sake of simplicity, let’s assume the middle of the road GAF Timberline HD shingles, which cost about $100 per square (100 square feet). Now, as far as the asphalt shingles type that will be used on the new roof, it sounds like you got a quote for one of the premium CertainTeed shingles options. Porch, the home services platform, connects homeowners with quality home improvement, repair and maintenance professionals and also serves as the exclusive in-store resource to over 1700 Lowe’s stores. Of course, contractors have to make money to remain in business, so I understand it from the business point of view. — That’s for a three tab shingle roof, I assume. 2. ft home. How experienced is the crew? Find out about the different types of metal roofing, such as: corrugated panels, standing seam panels, steel and aluminum shingles, copper and zinc metal roofs. The cost given for the entire job was $65,000 which includes removal and re-mounting of the solar panels, removing the current tiles and replacing them, replacing the cracked tiles and laying down the product (roof underlayment) that goes onto the roof before replacing the tiles. Normally the contract will specify the rate for additional and unforeseen work such as rotten boards that should be replaced and expense that would normally be associated with such additional, unforeseen-but-necessary work. Enter the extension wall length into 'Wall Length' and double the extension wall width, then minus ridge thickness, into the 'Wall Width' entries. Most decent homes see bidding wars and cash offers here. The materials part of the quote seems a bit pricey relative to the cost of installation. I am sure that your honest and valuable perspective will help many homeowners looking to replace a roof, especially in the tri-state area! Our view is that you should go with Landmark Pro if algae growth is a concern for your area — think moist/wet climate such as Pacific Northwest. if you live in the Northeast or some other region that gets a lot of winter storms). $('#wlns').html(wlroofnumber); Labour Costs and Time Frames. You are lucky if a mobile home roof lasts 5 years. Single-story house, based on the details you provided, I am assuming it’s a single story ranch. Our view is that as long as you are comfortable working with this particular contractor, assuming they have a solid track record with other homeowners in your area, and you get everything including warranty clearly outlined in writing, there is no reason to worry about the fact that the quote you’ve received is too low. Credit is good… high 600’s low 700. It’s not clear from your description whether it’s a single-story or a two-story home, but assuming it’s a single story house, it’s safe to assume that we have a roof measuring between 35 and 40 squares. Only one layer of old shingles on a single-story ranch makes the tear-off process quick and easy. https://www.roofingcalc.com/concrete-tile-roof-cost/, PV solar panels can be attached to the raised seams, https://www.roofingcalc.com/why-standing-seam-solar-metal-roof-beats-tesla-solar-roof/, https://www.roofingcalc.com/pros-cons-gaf-shingles/, https://www.roofingcalc.com/pros-cons-atlas-shingles/, https://www.roofingcalc.com/gaf-vs-certainteed-roofing-shingles/, https://www.gaf.com/en-us/for-homeowners/warranties, https://www.roofingcalc.com/pros-cons-owens-corning-shingles/, https://www.roofingcalc.com/best-roof-types-for-florida-and-coastal-areas/. The quality and grade of slate tiles and their costs can vary greatly, as well as the quality of installation. You’ve received some very competitive quotes for a two-story house with a 35 square hip roof, plus a tear-off (presumably) since there is a dumpster. At Konservatory we can calculate the cost of just two different roofing types for your conservatory – polycarbonate and glass. I am sure that if you install synthetic underlay such as GAF by deck armor over the ice and water/ice guard, then the shingles won’t stick to the ice guard, as deck armor should stand the test of time as an in-between barrier. For a basic project in zip code 47474 with 120 square feet, the cost to Install a Seam Metal Roof starts at $11.83 - $15.95 per square foot*. $10.5k. Such a rapid increase in the asset prices has resulted in increased demand for home services, with strong inflationary pressures pushing up the prices for major remodeling and home improvement services including roofing. Glad you were able to get a decent deal on the new roof and that you are happy with the work and final product! cost to install a shingle roof Calculator For your project in zip code 98102 with these options, the cost to install a shingle roof starts at $6.67-$8.87 per square foot. To get a better grasp on the upcoming costs of a new roof, consult an online roof cost calculator. //if (d11 <= 0.5 && d11 != 0.0) { ft home. A square is equal to 100 square feet of the 3-dimensional roof surface. I have a 2,350 square foot house, but the roof quote is for 2,800 sq. Is the contractor planning to use a high-wind area shingling technique (higher number of nails per shingles) and/or roof bracing? eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'myrooff_com-banner-1','ezslot_14',121,'0','0']));There are several factors to keep in mind for any estimate: the materials used for the shingles or seam panels, the surface area of the roof (with a measurement typically in squares), and any special features related to the complexity of the roof itself. This is a very fair price in our view. Have you looked into standing seam metal panels as an alternative to tiles? Price goes up for decking replacement, steep roofs and upgrades, but our roofers are much cheaper here than up north, and ours are very loyal and darn good! I am trying to get the best price possible for a roof replacement through Home Depot… Approximately 1700 sq. This is for approximately 35 squares of shingles on a two story house with a hip roof and includes the cost of installation and a dumpster. This seems like a very fair quote in terms of the overall pricing for the job of its size. The quote includes pulling a permit, removing old roof shingles, inspecting sheeting boards and replacing boards at 50.00 per 4’X8′ sheet or 5.00 per board foot), installing new drip edge, replacing metal flashing on chimney, electrical mast flashing, new pipe flashing, installing new baffled ridge vent, and disposing of all debris. ft.). Water runs downhill and wind can blow it uphill. Tear off 1 layer that was stapled over plywood. Without knowing all the particulars, we believe that $400 to $450 per square would be a more competitive / fair bid for a new roof in your area. Not only that, but the workers were indifferent, we found whole racks of roof staples underneath the shingle tabs! Simply input the surface area of the roof, choose from one of the available options, and you will get your first roofing estimate. Sounds to me like you saved 3 grand and risked EVERYTHING ELSE YOU OWN! My guess is also that the roof was probably a fairly basic one, so the job could be completed in a couple of days or so, with no warranty provided. The company that was $825 a square, quoted a total price of $18,500 to have the new roof installed. Since both companies are using the same materials, you simply need to ensure that the crew installing your roof will do it right. Estimate the cost of a new roof installation in your home with our Roofing Cost Calculator. This is our first time replacing a roof and we’re trying to save our budget to continue improving other areas of the house. So, I know you’ve mentioned you try to get as close to $225.00 per square ($2.25 per square foot) installed, as possible, including the warranty. under-bidding their jobs and competing on price alone. Most contractors will put a greater mark-up on the higher-end product vs. the entry-level product. Standing seam: $14,450 to $20,400 Going with asphalt shingles is also a viable route, especially with a roofing system from Certainteed known for the quality of their shingles. "); My jobs typically fall within that range but I can tell you that I’d be getting over $750 a sq for that last example. . As you begin to calculate various costs, you will see that the cost is a result of the interplay of many different variables, including roof area (in terms of footage), measurement of any roof extras (like chimneys or skylights), and the dimensions of your roof. . $("#wlra1").show(); Straight Off the Bat: It needs to be stated that not all roofs are made the same and not all roofers charge the same prices. For example, GAF Master Elite certified contractor installing a complete system from GAF can offer you the GAF Golden Pledge warranty. In each quote, we are talking about the same job; tear off the old roof, replace any water damaged boards, if there are any around the chimney area. We need to re-roof our 20 years old asphalt shingles roof in Colorado. My insurance estimated my roof at $9,100 for 30 squares or 3,000 square feet. Now, if the insurance company is willing to offer a discount on your home insurance premiums, then it’s probably a good idea to pay a little extra for Owens Corning Duration Storm shingles. Solar Roof is the only roof that can help pay for itself with the energy you produce. Obviously, such a job will not have a real warranty issued to back the installation/workmanship quality in a case there are any issues with the rood later on. That is for the standard, walkable ranch or manufactured home. I was given a quote of $10,250 for a GAF Timberline system. Between storm and flex, which is better product, which is better value? Gable & Hip Roofs will have the same area provided that the pitch remains the same. Thank you for your comment, yes indeed, many professional roofers confess that it ends up being more expensive on their end to install a budget 3-tab shingle roof vs. a more expensive architectural shingle roof that does not require the “meeting of the lines” around dormers, etc. I have an itemized quote for a 28 square single-story roof including a detached garage in Los Angeles, CA. Metal Roof Calculator; Factor Portion of Total Cost Breakdown For Reported Average; Materials: 1/3: $2,667: Labor and Installation: 1/3: $2,667: Overhead: 1/3: $2,667: Total: 100%: $8,000: Note that: Each factor usually accounts for a third of your project total. Pro Tip: To avoid warranty claim denials, make sure your roof deck is in proper condition and the attic space is properly vented. So, which material should you use for a conservatory roof conversion? As of 2020, the average price to install metal roofing is $5.97 to $9.85 per square foot. You may be able to convince your homeowner insurance company to pay for your roof replacement, as the roof must pass the inspection for them to insure it, depending on your coverage, most likely they will pay for a new roof. Rhino Roofing is located out of Tampa and I am in Ocala so they do travel outside that area. Book FREE Estimate Call To Book Estimate Average Shingle Roof Cost Calculations. Materials, pitch, and surface area are just three of them. Given the low local real estate values, we feel that a price of $22,500 for the complete job or roughly $550 per square would be more fair. $( ".wlinp1" ).click(function() { The cost of materials for a basic 3-tab, 25-year shingles could range anywhere from $150 to $200 per square for all the necessary materials. Excellent, excellent information. That’s only $86.66 a square. Based on the information you provided, this quote seems very high for a roof replacement on a simple, single-story ranch. We use a 4 times multiple system for the siding jobs. 3-tab Shingles I have been a roofing contractor in NW Pennsylvania since 1978. However, some areas on the roof have up to five layers of shinles. Doing it myself. Pro Tip: Smaller companies and installers that run a tight ship and don’t have a big overhead (expensive office, etc.) Good luck!! Hi Carl, it sounds like you’ve got yourself a great deal indeed and thank you for your service! There may be a need for 1-2 pieces of plywood to be replaced. (d11 <= 0.5 || d11 != 0.0)) { Expect to spend $1,500 to $3,000 to remove your current roof before installing a replacement. Excellent points, don’t be penny wise and pound foolish. Welcome to the Roof Cost Calculator. Had it not been for some rain showers the first day it would have been done completely in one day. We talked to several different contractors and all estimates came in at well above $5.00 per sq. The price you pay for the job is just as important, of course. gable style roof outfitted with architectural shingles costs $4,790 – $6,655. $750 a sq, that’s highway robbery. For that price, you should be getting architectural shingles from a premium brand, such as Malarkey or CertainTeed. Number of squares: Using the GAF roofing system with GAF Timberline HD shingles. The two factors that will determine the cost of your roof project are the size of the roof, and the choice of material used. Stone-coated steel roofs are light-weight and will stand up to hurricane-grade winds. OC Duration Flex are slightly superior to Duration Storm in terms of the shingle flexibility and pliability, which can be a factor in severe storms. The reason why is because we will not compete on price and my installers are paid well and highly valued. “mushroom” vents. $('.wlinp2').val(''); Sure, getting a great deal is great, but only as long as the crew doing the job is not cutting any corners in order to make the ends meet, which is often the case with companies working on razor-thin margins i.e. When you multiply that number by a multiple of three, you are now in the $600 to $900 or $6.00 to 9.00 range. Total $14,300. Thank you. 4. Therefore, I’d rather pay more for a quality product and trusted service. I used to make money at $25 labor per square for a go over and $85 labor for strip and replace. I have absolutely no idea what to do with this price disparity and, I loved the long-term security of the $10.5k quote, but am doubtful that any company (corporate or small), stands by warranties (or, insurance policies) anymore. This is still $9,000 less than the quote you were given.