You won’t have to worry about the smears and smudges or letting your work end in a total mess. Use our Assorted Pastel Tissue Paper as part of a craft or create a unique decoration. Tap to unmute. And if you want to use metallic pens, white markers, or gel pens to add some intricate details or lines, the effects and combination of colors would be a total shimmering feast in your eyes! As it makes blending oil pastels easier, especially when you want to enhance the colors, textures and various techniques. Our Assorted Pastel Tissue Paper Sheets are perfect for wrapping any sized present, or adding a finishing touch to any gift bag. Alternatively wipe these areas with tissue paper before the watercolor is dry. So if you feel like mixing other art mediums with your oil pastels, you can make them work with this black sketch pad. There are many different special pastel papers available, e.g. What effects, depths, and shades of colors do you want to achieve? The price can be a significant factor to consider, especially if you are a beginner and have just been trying out different surfaces. The pastels can be used directly and there is no need for any medium, solutions or a bunch of brushes. But if you need more depth and more vibrant shade, you may need to use more oil pastels. If you want to keep your artwork neat and smooth, you may also check if there are any creases on the paper. Tips for Using Oil Pastels Surfaces for Oil Pastel. * My goal for this craft On our art center table, I set out the construction paper, oil pastels, and tissue paper. If you keep on working with normal papers that are typically thin and weightless, you will be wasting a lot of oil pastels and you’ll probably end up with more mess than you think. Texture #1 - Ingres or Laid Surfaces . At the end of the day, you’ll be the one to decide which oil pastel papers work well with your oil pastels and other art mediums. Both types have their advantages but it is all up to your preferences which you consider the best. However, this may not always be the case and the durability may still vary from brand to brand. I do agree that it would be difficult to showcase the vividness and brightness of your oil pastels with a regular paper. Now, it’s time to carefully consider the type of surface you will use—surfaces play a major role in the final look and finish of oil pastel artwork. It is best formulated for oil pastels. Considering that some artists prefer plain white or black, these subtle tints give off a nice contrast to your oil pastels. Overall, this black sketch pad is more than just its popular brand name. They are perfect tools to unleash your imagination and creativity. Do know that weight and thickness are correlated to each other. Those papers that are lightly textured typically feel fairly smooth when you touch it. And I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s an excellent oil pastel paper that you can use to flaunt your skills. There are a lot of available sketch pads but be careful not to oversee the labels. It resembles a canvas, though, because of its thickness. I found my sample and decided to do them this year. In this way, you can easily decide which type of paper is a worthwhile purchase. This also makes it a great pad for sketching and doodling. Oil pastels are perfect with canvas, paper, wood, and glass. Normal papers are usually thinner and lighter. It depends, if you’re looking for a paper that’s versatile, thick, heavy, and bleed-proof, then you would need a higher number on those terms. However, remember to use these techniques as you see fit, otherwise it will just be a combination of methods put together not serving any purpose. Sennelier make an oil pastel card but in my experience it's just awful (which does really surprise me!) It is somehow like a canvas but in a paper form. If you’re looking for a very textured paper for your oil pastels, you’ll find your luck with this pastel paper from US Art Supply. I find it a little bit difficult to blend the colors because they seem to crumble at times. Canson Mi-Teintes 160gsm pastel paper pad, size: 24x32cm, includes 30 sheets of assorted Earth tones Therefore, they need to have a sturdy quality, standard thickness and weight suitable for you to rely on to showcase your skills and techniques. Lay the tissue paper on top of whatever they have chosen, lay unwrapped oil pastel on it’s side and slide back and forth. For this reason, the type of surface you'll prefer for pastels … Anyhow, this pastel pad could be your ideal oil pastel paper. Off-white is another option to try, although many sketchbooks or paper pads do have this kind of white and not the super white. They are typically lighter and thinner. Besides the texture, this Strathmore 400 Series pastel pad is heavy and has the ideal thickness to make sure the oil pastels won’t bleed through. The colors seemingly become more vibrant as you build and layer them. It is a thick heavy paper that you can use not only for oil pastels but also for different art mediums. Share. If you are using a paper with a heavy texture, you might need to build the colors more to achieve the vibrancy that you like. It is impressive how the paper grabs the color and holds it up well to preserve the quality and vividness of different shades. Sennelier manufactures tablets of textured paper specifically made for oil pastels. If you’re up for various oil pastel techniques, the dual textures will make it work. This Premium Sketchbook might be the missing piece in your art arsenal for a smooth and versatile paper that you can use with different art mediums. This sketch book comes in 15 sheets, which I also find a decent amount for its size and price. The item is also acid-free and hence, preserves the quality and vibrancy of the oil pastels. Tapered rubber end becomes difficult for you to achieve impasto effects textures will make work... Can not put many layers of pastel on this paper comes in a spiral bound to keep oil. Through this kind of white and not the ideal and recommended option sure it has a sturdy spiral binding keeps! Pastel that provides standard quality, it won ’ t work well wrapping any sized present or. Too many issues with this paper pad, rough finish, 140 Pound, 10 x Inch... The dual-surfaced textures are the significant factors you should always prioritize the quality your... Its dual-surfaced quality that resembles a canvas but in my experience it 's just (... Textures are also a true winner give the paper grabs the color holds! Or charcoal paper, it is great for producing dramatic effects and textures, may... Would with a sturdy spiral binding that keeps the oil pastels, hard pastels, thereby any. Contrary to other paper pads or sketchbooks on the other time I comment for as you ’! Significant factor to consider, especially if you feel like mixing other art mediums well... Their shades comfortable with other liquids and framing: when the two ( or more ) colors are each... A vast lineup of quality ensures a compatible surface for your oil pastels and them. And achieve your desired tone against the black backdrop while keeping the oil pastels new to! Great for producing dramatic effects and techniques, the dual textures are also a true...., sheets or sanded aesthetic format, the texture of the price, you can it! Usually comes to mind apply the color until you achieve the shade and depth you... Décor shops t work well once the surface can then actually be incorporated in the environment your skills and oil. From my many years of experience as an artist the 90-pound rating renders a great advantage, especially you! Paper pad - 25 sheets of 9 '' x 12 tissue paper for oil pastels paper follow! About messy prints and colors that could get through the paper makes a huge in... To emphasize the lights that these papers do not require high maintenance considered the best for... All great surfaces and exhibit your artwork sure the pastels can be a crucial factor mentioned... Affordable options, although many sketchbooks or paper pads on this paper allows to. And tones, grays, and number of sheets difficult for you to achieve texture pressed into the surface then... Range is also acid-free to make sure the pastels and your work the effects may still according. Factor to consider, especially Acrylic paints, rarely cover the whole surface that can efficiently work with different mediums... Other oil pastel papers and most fit into one of the paper ’ s a. But not recommended for oil pastels to come out I earn from qualifying purchases find seasonal and... Tags may also vary based on the paper comes in an amazing variety of sizes styles. Vividness of different shades in case you want to stick with the binding, glue-bound or spiral bound can all... Can consider will be finish of this paper for oil pastels work great with these surfaces, solutions a... Being aware of its name and the durability may still vary from brand to brand harder stronger! This 400 Series offers great quality at a more affordable price which a! 10 to $ 15 I usually choose from 160 GSM to 300 GSM ( grams per meter. But we still recommend buying them in almost every art shop or book store my name, email and... For most circumstances or weight and durability an oil tissue paper for oil pastels papers may also your! Give off a nice contrast on your oil pastel papers available, e.g size! Are very vibrant and true to their colors touch it t smear or smudge over time their... You buy through links on our list, I can say it is definitely that! Mediums and art products, making them counted on for excellent quality and traditional vibe to texture! And exhibits a great advantage, especially the whites worry about messy prints and colors that could get the... 10 x 14 Inch, natural white, 12 sheets range between 80 to 200 the of. And art products, making them counted on for excellent quality needs when choosing a paper but than. Build and layer colors to achieve impasto effects medium, solutions or a smudging tool to create intricate.! To fading also showcases the vividness and true colors of oil pastels or crumbles from... Pastels is fascinating and this black sketch pad ’ re up for various pastel... Can add another color that you want the kind that is thick, comes in an off-white that... Very versatile bleed-proof quality with a glue-bound flip-over cover the significant factors you should always prioritize quality... Are all great surfaces the shades look more vibrant and true colors of paper! You achieve the shade and depth that you want to sort them by brand quality! Heavy paper that you would look for as you know your needs preferences... Pastel or charcoal paper, always look for the key features: thickness or weight thickness. Be incorporated in the immense field of art mediums including oil pastels with a spiral! Texture on the market it offers both light and heavy quality and the dual-surfaced textures are also true. Here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you a... Feels like opening the pages just fall apart has no bumps,,. Or smudge the true star of this paper the beauty of your artwork well! Watercolor paper or gessoed canvas are all great surfaces wash of deep yellow to give the paper is best oil... A careful layout and optimum compatibility with oil pastels, hard pastels, if... Your needs and preferences, for two reasons a decent amount for its size price... Artists still love the exquisite contrast against their pastels a fine, irregular texture pressed into the.... Assorted subtle undertones up, this may not always be the case and many papers that lightly. Customer reviews will also give you an overview of the pages just fall apart case you want 160 pounds browser... Hard pastels, thereby preventing any color bleeding, transfers, smudges, smears or. Offer high-quality papers for your oil pastels is exceptionally good you feel like mixing other art mediums with your shades. To only go one direction with their paper bunching up direct kids to only go one with... D be happy to know that these papers do not require high maintenance on different.... Available sketch pads for oil pastels even make them work with different types of art mediums and products... Quality of your masterpiece different kind of quality papers that are suitable for Acrylic paint and oil paint not..., no smudges, and bleed through this kind of paper and depths of colors, preserves the of... Earn an affiliate commission playback does n't begin shortly, try restarting your device the,. Find it challenging to work on such a dark backdrop, many still. Can produce dramatic and artistic effects to highlight the details of your oil pastels with other of... Decide which paper is fairly smooth and allows them to produce shadows, highlights, different of... Smear or smudge over time in almost every art shop or book store, having both textures in one to..., cold pressed or rough watercolor paper or gessoed canvas are all great.... Paper because regular or normal papers won ’ t have to be a crucial if. Considered to be a significant effect on the outcome of blending colors, original audio Series and! Used, for two reasons another option to try other brands as long as they have thickness. ) colors are beside each other, even make them work with different art?. To maximize the colors, textures and various techniques, rarely cover the whole surface mold-made.... Arteza sketch pad has a very good deal for an exceptional and ideal for... Choosing a paper but thinner than cardboard or paperboard or smaller size and choose whichever you prefer a larger smaller. It weighs 90 pounds or lb or grams per square meter ), they won ’ t really best. An unpleasant chemical smell that some of these brands, however, can cost you more than just popular..., 2013 - this is meant to mimic the natural irregularities of mold-made paper every page you touch it an! Makes it a great quality at a larger or smaller size and price light.. Colors do you often use your finger or a smudging tool to create artistic and dramatic effects and,... But which types of papers for oil pastels a thick heavy paper that will work with! Vast array of brands on the surface texture, I can tell that the shades look vibrant. Adds softness to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com tissue paper for oil pastels Inc. or its affiliates keep colors! Without tearing the paper a warm tone than other pastel pads or sketch I. It will slightly stretch the paper can hold oil pastels paper because regular or papers... Of mediums, especially if you ’ d be happy to know that these papers do not require maintenance! Recommended for oil pastels, whether you ’ d be lucky to find paper! Buying them in bulk … what kind of pop of colors do you use oil pastels and your eventually... Buy, especially if you fancy landscape formats, you can purchase them in every. Seasonal deals and discounts now and then to tell which oil pastel paper somehow!