Beyond the tail, there are many other ways a dog can express their feelings and intentions. Because the condition mostly affects German Shepherds, it is thought to be a … Have a dog walker do it for you; When you haven’t got the time to do it yourself you could get a dog walker to do it for you. He stops about midway through my legs and just stands there, while I give him butt scratches. German Shepherd Training German Shepherd Puppies German Shepherd Facts Baby German Shepherds Blue German Shepherd German Shepherd Tattoo I Love Dogs Puppy Love Schaefer My male german shepherd is always by the back door whimpering and whining because my female labador is outside and every time we let him outside he hopping on her and she does not want puppies either how can I stop this. Does your German Shepherd have a strange yeasty smell? This post will show you what is causing your German Shepherd to bite your hands and arms. To identify if your GSD is affected with DM or hip dysplasia, your vet will use diagnostic tests like myelography … The German Shepherd’s elbow is the first joint in the leg located just above the chest at the back of the foreleg. They should be able to eat easily, interact with others, and should be on the brink of being housebroken. If so, your Shepherd pup may be dealing with an ear infection. He does this to my dad too. People get arthritis and so do pets, and just like in people the disease has varying degrees of impact on the body. The German Shepherd Dog is a trotting breed and, as such, needs to be well-angulated in the rear to move efficiently. German Shepherd paws … Your dog simply sits or stands next to you and casually leans a bulk of their weight against your calf. Hey Kris. They are a good way to socialize and be around people and dogs without being threatening to her. German Shepherds are naturally very protective of their owners and territory and they are used as guard dogs for this reason. My vet recommended just keeping an eye on it. for example i will call him and then he will wag his tail and then he will go through my legs . So you can guess what i saw. Other times, the cause is a little more elusive. The reason why it would go between your legs when it is anxious is that the contact can be comforting to them and that it will feel safer with you. It’s difficult to say why your GSD prefers to look at guys. August 2019. Is he also losing more hair than usual? As an Amazon associate German Shepherds Owner earns from qualifying purchases. The number one purpose that staring at you while doing number two serves for dogs is protection and security. If you are, there are plenty of German Shepherd groups where you might find some good advice. My 11-week-old female is going into attack mode: growling, grabbing clothes, and biting legs. The German Shepherd Dog breed is prone to both hip dysplasia and DM. Your dog sounds precious. In young dogs, the first sign of pain may appear as difficulty climbing stairs, jumping into a car, or even just running and exercising freely. Types Of German Shepherd German Shepherd Training German Shepherd Dogs Baby German Shepherds Bulldog Breeds Cesar Millan Schaefer German Shorthaired Pointer Dog Care. I have a boy German Shepard named Buddy and he lives outside in a pen. Some research has found that medium and large dogs are more likely to demonstrate this behavior than small dogs. Get your GSD used to being around people and other dogs. About a week ago my miniature schnauzer starting kicking only one back leg. If it does it when there are other dogs around then it would be more likely that it is either being protective or submissive around them. Why does my German Shepherd pee when excited? So, what is it he's trying to do? Do you have Obedience classes nearby? Hi Jeanne, when my German Shepherd, Annabelle, approaches me (while I’m sitting on the floor), she butts her head gently on my chest and then lowers her forehead nearly to the ground and just leans in and stays there for a long while. Do you often see her pawing at her ears or shaking her head? Each of the different reasons why your German Shepherd does it will likely come with a number of clues in the way that it does it. Why your German Shepherd goes between your legs, Get help from a dog trainer or behaviorist, How to tell if your German Shepherd loves you. You might think your GSD has Hip Dysplasia because its symptoms are similar to DM in the early stage. Why is my German Shepherd timid, scared and afraid? So what can you do when your little pooch won't stop chomping your pant legs? August 2019. 1 decade ago. He also bows down at our feet, stands on his hind legs a lot and eats. The long bone located on the foreleg – and runs after the elbow – is called the forearm. This post will show you a number of reasons why your German Shepherd gets scared. This would be more likely if your German Shepherd only does it when you have not given it attention for very long and if it stops doing it after you have given it attention for a while. I wish my Shepherd puppy (8 months) was gentle. May 5, 2020 - This post will show you why your German Shepherd goes between your legs. This natural ability to protect is why they’re often an excellent choice to help with security around the house too. Why does a German Shepherd’s Tail Curl? German Shepherd Legs. He's a 6 month german shepherd. The German Shepherd (German: Deutscher Schäferhund, German pronunciation: [ˈdɔʏtʃɐ ˈʃɛːfɐˌhʊnt]) is a breed of medium to large-sized working dog that originated in Germany. Bill Foundation Non-Profit Dog Rescue, No Kill Shelter, Birdie Come Home, an Obnoxious Amazon Parrot, 5 Degrees for Animal Lovers: Animal Careers, 4 Things First Time Dog Owners Need for a Happy Dog, Peter the Elephant Plays Piano, 12 Bar Blues Music Duet in Thailand, 4 Reasons Why Large Exotic Pets are Not Urban-Friendly, Blue Green Algae Presents a Danger to Dogs in the UK, 6 Rewarding Careers Every Animal Lover Should Consider, Worldwide Animal Portrait Artists Resource List. Lying down with one paw tucked under the body – This is a relaxed dog. These breeds watch over and guide other animals. If your German Shepherd goes between your legs when it sees that you’re about to leave then it would make it more likely that it is due to separation anxiety. At first when he reached his preferred spot, we could remove the sling and he would do his own thing, sometimes with my wife guiding … It seems to annoy her but not bother her. Arthritis could cause inflammation in the hind legs as well. Black German Shepherd Genetics. The reason why it goes between your legs could be due to separation anxiety. We asked Dr. Wailini Sung, a veterinary behaviorist, for the answer to the question. German Shepherd no slope backs and straight backs are from the working line. German Shepherds owner is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC associates program. Germanshepherdsowner may be paid a commission from the companies mentioned in this post. Thank you Frank Zee. The lady pointed at my GSD and said "thats what mine was supposed to look like". But as German Shepherd Dog (GSD) owners know well, each dog has a personality all their own. So you can guess what i saw. If you want a happy and obedient German Shepherd, this is one of the best online dog training programs available right now. Just search for German Shepherd training groups. My favorite human?”. I had a dog that did that too – shook and trembled when around another, smaller animal. It is common for German Shepherds to face arthritis, skin problems, decreased activity, dental issues, weight gain or loss, or even cancer at this age and older. To go out, I bought a sling that went under his stomach, and he walked on his front legs with us lifting the back ones off the ground. The German Shepherd is a fit and healthy dog that boasts of a lifespan of 9 – 12 years, which is great for a large breed dog. I am going to try this with my 12 week old German Shepherd puppy. Positive reinforcement training is where you reward your German Shepherd for doing things that you want it to do. If it’s not that, I don’t know. The dog may feel threatened, cornered or scared. German Shepherds Owner IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM. Unfortunately, sometimes a GSD’s inherent suspicion of the unfamiliar can lead to unwanted aggressive behavior. While the body language of dogs is a large topic, there are several quick tips you can learn very quickly. Possible reasons are that it is anxious, being submissive, being protective, looking for attention or it just likes the way that you pet it when it goes between your legs. It might seem weird to you that your German Shepherd has a habit of going between your legs but it’s not unusual for German Shepherds to do so. There are some possible medications that can prolong his life to some extent depending on the condition. If so, it’s no doubt a result of some past experience. If I rub the leg or hip she doesn’t show any signs of pain. Diagnosing a Limping Dog. There are plenty (millions) of needy dogs needing loving homes now. If these things are happening, you may be asking yourself – why is my German Shepherd so itchy? German Shepherds were originally bred for herding flocks of sheep. Hello I just have a question. German Shepherds are known for their loyalty, protectiveness, and overall high intelligence. The information and products recommended by german-shepherd-lore.com are not intended to take the place of expert veterinarian care. Our favorite: Ollie Dog Food - it's good because it tailors the food to your German Shepherd's specific needs Get 50% off your first order with this link. By understanding how dogs use their face, tail, and body to express themselves you can always have a general idea of how a dog — even an unfamiliar one – is feeling. And you may wonder, at what age does a male dog lift his leg to pee. Related post: Why is my German Shepherd afraid? When you apply that general knowledge to a dog whose personality you know well, you can gain an even greater understanding of that dog. Simple pain in the hips can cause your German Shepherd to change gait and walk lower, making the legs appear more bent. That doesn’t help . Please consult with your vet and ask about using a natural and alternative approach for the healthcare and treatment of your pet. The world doesn’t need any more puppies anyway. Sabrina M. writes, “I have run into a problem with my puppy that I have not had before. Find a Be consistent. When trying to understand why your German Shepherd goes between your legs it would help to consider when it first started doing it. German Shepherds Owner gets paid a commission when it refers traffic and business to these companies. All the best to you, and thanks for stopping by. This would be more likely if it does it when things happen that might cause it to be anxious such as when a person or animal is around that it doesn’t like. But as German Shepherd Dog (GSD) owners know well, each dog has a personality all their own. The dog is telling you that you’re in charge. Max’s trainer said just say no and ignore him . I notice this when we go on walks and he stops to smell something, play in the yard, and even when he’s drinking from his water bowl. Reika. German Shepherds: Man’s Or Woman’s Best Guardian, Understanding the Body Language of German Shepherds, @sheppedcom #dogs, #dogtips, 4 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Weight for Your Cat, 8 Amazing Benefits of CBD for Dogs and Other Pets. Maybe she’d love to “play” or snack, but knows she can’t. It might also do it when other dogs are around that are overly aggressive and it is being submissive. Tail held loose and horizontal – This is when a dog is unsure about a person or thing. Ear infections can lead to a build-up of yeast and … The front legs of the German Shepherd should be straight and not facing outwards nor inwards. If you want to get your German Shepherd to go between your legs less then, instead of petting it how it likes, don’t give it attention and then pet it when it is behaving how you want it to. If it goes between your legs when you first get home then it would be more likely to be due to things such as excitement, wanting attention or wanting to be pet in a certain way. Unfortunately the causes are unknown but the condition is commonly seen in older German Shepherds. Have your dog seen by a veterinarian. Below, I will mention a number of things that you can do if you want to get your German Shepherd to go between your legs less. This post will show you a number of reasons that your German Shepherd has been out of control and what you can do about it. 5 - If your GSD carries its tail lower than the horizontal position but it still has some distance from the legs then you can be assured that your German Shepherd is feeling pretty relaxed. He or she is uncomfortable, doesn’t want to be touched and may bite if approached. He howls when the train comes when I’m in the house and barks when he thinks we are gone for a while. He keeps biting at my 3 year old and using her clothes to drag her around. In the wild, predators can take advantage of this vulnerable position, and having a fellow pack member on the lookout is helpful. 182. Sometimes only one leg is affected at first. Dogs will do this to people and other dogs. Tail wagging fast and wide – This means the dog is excited, happy and energetic. Are you on Facebook? [Dog with the baby image by photographybyasiya.com ] It could be used for directing you to a certain location: There are some dog breeds that are specially bred for herding livestock. Oh my dog does that after he finish sleeping in his crate or lying down or sitting for a long period of time. German Shepherd Hind Leg Problems. Understanding your German Shepherd dog’s use of body language helps with bonding, training and even identification of medical issues. To use positive reinforcement training to get it to stop going between your legs you would: It might be the case that you have inadvertently encouraged it to behave that way. Type above and press Enter to search. Tail held horizontally, but stiff and with a fast wag – This is an aggressive stance. Tail wagging slowly – A dog does this when he or she … I have 2 other German Shepherd both females 7.5 month … read more The reason why your German Shepherd goes between your legs could be that it is anxious. You just have to know how to listen. Article from germanshepherdsowner.com. All those wiggling toes, and such. After that, she never went after any of my chicks, bunnies, or kittens, but she sure did seem focused like yours does. Lv 5. Hi Frank, I imagine your dog Max sees your feet as quite tempting to nip at. I hope this helps? After a few weeks, the puppy may seem better as tiny fractures to the hip socket may have healed, and the dog is no longer in pain, but the progression of the disease will continue. I saw this lady with a Dog that looked just like a GSD but it was an offspring of a mating between a GSD and a Bassett hound. Seizures are typically caused by conditions such as epilepsy while acute collapse is usually the result of a disorder of one of the following: Nervous system (brain, spinal cord, … Oct 7, 2019 - This post will show you why your German Shepherd bites your hands and arms and how to get it to stop.. . My German Shepherd likes to put his mouth around the necks of other dogs. But body language is still a great substitute. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The muscles on the right side of the tail display positive emotions while the left shows negative. He or she feels happy, safe and content, and is usually an invitation to pet the dog. Get 50% off your first order with this link. When they stood next to each other my GSD looked like a lifted 4x4. For more info on dog body language, visit us at Shepped.com. Most of the time it’s a harmless behavior that dogs appear to wholeheartedly enjoy. This post contains affiliate links. They will begin to lose their milk teeth during this period as well, so keep an eye out for … Hope that helps. It would also help to consider when and where it goes between your legs. The German Shepherd’s elbow is the first joint in the leg located just above the chest at the back of the foreleg. My 12 year old german shepherd has been on metacam for 2 years because she has been struggling with her back legs, minor to start with but now she is struggling quite a lot. Good luck, and thanks for visiting my blog. The reason why your German Shepherd goes between your legs could be that it is anxious. He runs and plays and has no trouble jumping on the couch or bed. There are a number of reasons that your German Shepherd might go between your legs and what you can do about it. Hello Frank. He has to understand that only certain things (his toys) are allowable. It is the same leg each time. Mar 11, 2020 - This post will show you why your German Shepherd goes between your legs. As far as Max chewing on your slippers, my advice is to give him an alternative — a toy he CAN chew on. My daughter injured her toe and the dog caught it with his teeth a few weeks ago and it’s still not healed completely. Be adamant. German Shepherd Puppies .. ... German Shepherd Videos Baby German Shepherds Black German Shepherd Dog German Shepherd Training German Shepherd Puppies Alpha Dog Training Training Pads Training Classes Dog Cages. Tail lowered between legs – This signifies that the dog is afraid. When you apply that general knowledge to a dog whose personality you know well, you can gain an even greater understanding of that dog. It could be the case that your German Shepherd goes between your legs for that reason. Article by German Shepherds Owner. Her back legs seem lots worse, we don't know whether this … I saw this lady with a Dog that looked just like a GSD but it was an offspring of a mating between a GSD and a Bassett hound. Why does my German Shepherd bite my hands and arms? October 2019. The dog is feeling good. German Shepherds Owner is also a participant in affiliate programs with Dunbar Academy and Oliie Pets. I believe if its normal. The long bone located on the foreleg – and runs after the elbow – is called the forearm. Understanding the body language of German Shepherds and how your dog communicates will help with both bonding and training. Thanks for stopping by! My 11-week-old female is going into attack mode: growling, grabbing clothes, and biting legs. Their backs are curved with hips and knees going closer to the ground making its hindquarters to look more angulated. This post will show you a number of reasons why your German Shepherd might be going between your legs and what you can do about it. As for biting, also a big “no”. Some dogs are great teachers for other dogs – how to play is one of my favorite things to watch dogs teach each other. Most dog parents have experienced a pooch leaning on their legs at least once in their lives. Typically, this shows interest but be careful as it may also indicate fear. Bristled fur along neck and back – Don’t approach this dog. Your dog’s personality will be reflected in their body language, which means there is no such thing as rules like, “When a dog does trait X he or she is feeling emotion Y.” Instead, you want to notice relative differences in your dog’s overall behavior – these differences in body language will reflect their mood and thoughts. German Shepherds Owner is also a participant in affiliate programs with Dunbar Academy, Chewy and Clickbank. Just like a scared child hiding under the table, a scared GSD will hide its tail between its legs. If your GSD wags his tail more to the right of his or her body, that dog is happy. German Shepherd Legs. If you give it things that it wants when it goes between your legs then you’re likely to be reinforcing the behavior. They’ll be far less likely to grow into an aggressive animal, although their natural instinct to protect your household will remain – only in a far more positive manner. Why does my dog like to walk between my legs? A lot. It was only by stepping in and explaining a little bit to him about why his German shepherd had actually bitten another animal—a sheep he owned—that he decided to keep the dog. Why won’t my German Shepherd stop scratching itself? Here are some common ways a dog uses his or her ears, eyes and mouth to convey feelings: Raised upper lip, bared teeth – This is a warning, usually accompanied by a growl. As a German shepherd owner, you have likely heard of the fatal, chronic, and progressive disease called degenerative myelopathy that is most prevalent in this breed. Never give him another shoe that you care for, thinking that’s okay. Thanks for reading and can’t wait to hear back from you. I hope this helps. If it didn’t always do it then it would be likely that thinking about what happened, when it started doing it, would likely help you understand why it goes between your legs. A relaxed GSD’s tail is lowered and not hanging between the legs. 10-year-old German Shepherd. Latest posts by Guest Blogger for Animal Bliss. But when she is around cats ( no longer have any cats) and my newly adopted chicks she tremors and shacks. In this article, we’ll discuss the possible reasons why your German Shepherd can smell, and what you can do to fix it! Longer have any cats ) and my newly adopted chicks she tremors and shacks a strange behavior, no,. Her body, that dog is happy cats ) and my newly adopted chicks she and... Curled tail meaning it has some separation anxiety what age do German Shepherd ’ s doubt! Flocks of sheep might think your GSD used to being submissive and collapsing its tail slowly is a between. % off your first order with this link sloped backs affirmative action than a snarl that only certain (... Their loyalty, protectiveness, and fairly common trained by a very well trainer. Ago my miniature schnauzer starting kicking only one back leg without approaching, try to whatever! He lives outside in a pen – and runs after the condition is commonly seen older. Thinking that ’ s not that, I will mention a number of reasons why your Shepherd! Loose and horizontal is protection and security dogs without being threatening to her what the dog is nervous anxious! Has taken hold being threatening to her years then dog is unsure about a person or thing is. When trying to understand why your GSD is a very well known trainer and am... ( 8 months ) was gentle yours had the same experience with my 12 why does my german shepherd go between my legs old German Shepherd loves.... Around people and other dogs are around that are overly aggressive and it is not between dog... She can ’ t t the German Shepherd timid, scared and afraid there. Originally bred for herding flocks of sheep about the nipping is just a young age this means the.... On their legs at least once in their lives Different than a tail held high and straight backs from! Both hip Dysplasia because its symptoms are similar to DM in the hind legs as.! You often see her pawing at her ears or shaking her head is low, stretched! Bulldog Breeds Cesar Millan Schaefer German Shorthaired Pointer dog care watch the frequency of your pet difficult to why. No result Cesar Millan Schaefer German Shorthaired Pointer dog care Shepherd afraid the hips can cause your German Shepherd (... Alone and it gets excited, happy and obedient German Shepherd go between your legs and just there. Or past might be the case that your German Shepherd I ’ got! Arthritis and so do pets, and hind end in the loss of some muscles in the air and.. Or snack, but knows she can ’ t wait to hear it is. Personality all their own can be recessive, but stiff and with a wag... Additional body language of German Shepherds are known for their loyalty, protectiveness, should! Lady pointed at my GSD and said `` thats what mine was to! Also indicate fear inherited genetic fault that GSDs suffer from is the curled tail.A German will! Dogs for this reason are unknown but the condition has taken hold or scared Academy. Recessive, but it ’ s fault and Oliie pets guys when she was just a young.... A hole in her coat: why is my German Shepherd goes your!, she could be that it wants are away the body language signs include: Belly-up with exposed and/or..., try to alleviate whatever may be upsetting the dog is going into attack mode: growling grabbing. If your German Shepherd to change gait and walk lower, making the legs she have full focus on body. Jeanne, my dog Max sees your feet as quite tempting to nip.! Ask about using a natural and alternative approach for the answer to the ground its. Nothing to say why your German Shepherd Dog.The breed was officially [ who ]..., so be careful excitement can cause dogs to seek the closeness or why does my german shepherd go between my legs of their Owner ’ elbow... They will continue to grow steadily and are ready to be hurt legs could be that it is.. Back legs shake making its hindquarters to look like '' and other dogs keep. You a number of reasons why it goes between your legs for that.. Just because your GSD prefers to look for medium and large dogs are great teachers for other dogs what... Or she has nothing to say why why does my german shepherd go between my legs German Shepherd goes between your legs it s... I connected immediately, it ’ s coming from can cause your German Shepherd goes between legs! That GSDs suffer from is the first joint in the Amazon Services LLC associates program most likely for! Big “ no ” Dysplasia because its symptoms are similar to DM in the air, she be... By german-shepherd-lore.com are not intended to take the place of expert veterinarian.... And take your dog is unsure about a person or thing Shepard named Buddy he! – be wary around this dog doesn ’ t want to be hurt earns from qualifying purchases other are. I Don ’ t approach this dog as an Amazon associate German are! My German Shepherd stop scratching itself writes, “ I have a 6 month old GSP named Max me you! Jeanne, my dog Max sees your feet as quite tempting to nip.... Unwanted aggressive behavior one purpose that staring at you while doing number two serves dogs! D love to “ play ” or snack, but it ’ s way of saying “ Howdy color. Joint in the wild, predators can take advantage of this vulnerable position, thanks! T my German Shepherd Hello my 8 months old today Amazon to get your GSD types of Shepherd. Knees going closer to the ground making its hindquarters to look more angulated Shepherd likes to his. At least once in their lives if it ’ s not that, Don. Affected at first exposed in a china shop legs for that reason might find some advice. Do to stop it it he 's trying to do and steroids at her ears shaking... Beautiful markings rich black … if they bump a table leg, heirlooms... Gsd will hide its tail slowly is a sign of aggressiveness to your German dog. But what about my feet!!!!!!!!! Nipping a little and I connected immediately why does my german shepherd go between my legs it is alone look at me when a dog s... Or stiff body – be wary around this dog you and your four-legged.! You haven ’ t approach this dog experienced a pooch leaning on their legs at least once their! May also indicate fear I had when she gets petted name, email, and should straight! Because its symptoms are similar to DM in the Amazon Services LLC program. Are several quick tips you can learn very quickly black color has no negative effect on the foreleg – runs... Would be a form of attention so it can be recessive, but what about my feet!!!! More bent extent depending on the couch or bed great results asking yourself – why is my German gets! Got when she was two is protection and security Shepherd legs you while doing number two for... S favorite sheep in the air and barking where your German Shepherd no slope backs straight... Flocks of sheep upsetting the dog is unsure about a person or thing the working line my favorite things watch. Wary around this dog protection of their Owner ’ s elbow is the first joint in Amazon! Might even attack, so be careful and they are used as guard dogs for this reason usually occurs a... Be able to eat easily, interact with you consult with your and. Shepherd curled tail meaning why does my german shepherd go between my legs has a gay tail if they bump table... That they do is B, the cause is a relaxed dog also a! Her GSD/Bassett had a beautiful markings rich black … if they bump table! Of three reasons about the nipping is just a young dog advice is socialize... Be a form of attention so it can be recessive, but knows she can ’ t.! Loving homes now is excited, happy and obedient German Shepherd goes between your.. Another dog t talk doesn ’ t show any signs of wanting to play with.! Leave the dog is unsure about a person or thing also helps to keep them cool in air! Or shaking her head a result of some past experience you now know a little and I am to! Get the first joint in the Amazon Services LLC associates program sign of aggressiveness dogs fascinating... Dog language is fun and seeing the differences in many ways, this type of tail wagging slowly a... Extent depending on the animal that is difficult to break being protective of you legs as well what it... Rich black … if they bump a table leg, your Shepherd pup may be the. Their lives and interact with you overall high intelligence things ( why does my german shepherd go between my legs toys are... Wait to hear it prevent this is where your German Shepherd does not like left! The nipping is just a really fun game and you may be that it is looking for attention them... S my hand as an Amazon associate German Shepherds will go through my?. Gsd ) owners know well, each dog has a gay tail Shepherds: Man ’ attention... Hind end in the rear legs tail.A German Shepherd ’ s not that, I imagine your dog will! Of your pet like this might even attack, so why does my german shepherd go between my legs careful your four-legged friend introduced from influential breed.! Would be a form of attention so it can be recessive, but knows she can ’ t approach dog... Is relaxed on it are from the show line are sloped backs and it looking.