When someone experiences unbearable trauma, the mind sometimes finds a way to dissociate from that experience—which can also be terribly distressing. First I think it's important to understand the difference between depersonalization and derealization. While Depersonalisation is greatly linked to Derealisation, the two are completely separate entities and it’s important to distinguish the difference between the two if you can. Once I figured this out, I made sure that if I did go out, I'd only have one or two drinks -- and plenty of water too! A derealization experience, when it is not induced by some substance is often a symptom of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or dissociative identity disorder. What Depersonalization Feels Like As part of my borderline personality disorder (BPD), I experience dissociation, depersonalization and derealization a lot. Depersonalization is a mental disorder in which the patient feels unreal, fake, numb, as though they lack emotion and or is disconnected from their body. Disconnected from your environment (derealization). So: Depersonalization vs Derealization -- what’s the actual difference? It can feel like you're seeing the world from inside a glass bubble. This is why coming from a subtly dysfunctional family is often the cause. A person also observes oneself as a viewer in this condition. This is a key distinction between derealization and other mental illnesses. “Derealization is a subjective experience of unreality of the outside world, while Depersonalization is sense of unreality in one's personal self, although most authors currently do not regard derealization (surroundings) and depersonalization (self) as separate constructs.” Depersonalization is a condition in which one experiences “detachment” from one’s self. Because when you address the underlying condition that’s causing it -- the anxiety -- both the DP and the DR will become less important, less noticeable, and eventually stop completely. Why? This suggests that the “lesion method” might be a valid approach to study the neurobiology of DP/DR. But with anxiety-based conditions, the difference is irrelevant. No significant difference regarding the demographic and clinical parameters was found between DP versus DR or versus the additional control group consisting of 28 patients reporting DV or EH (all P > 0.05). Depersonalization is a result of complex/cumulative trauma, not single events. But, while in the state of depersonalization one is detached from one’s self, whereas in the case of derealization one is detached from the outside world. But the key to recovery is realizing that you don’t have to deal with these symptoms one by one -- All you have to do is address the underlying anxiety and the symptoms will stop on their own. In these cases it is worthwhile monitoring both conditions on a monthly basis, and if the DP DR does not resolve within a few months, to assume that this is primary DPRD, and to follow the recommendations for this. In some cases, the patient sees himself as an observer of his self. In addition to the panic, you remain sedentary. Derealization is an alteration in the perception or experience of the external world so that it seems unreal. difference between these conditions. It is a feeling of watching oneself act, while having no control over a situation. Furthermore, in cases of mild head injury, migraines or some forms of epilepsy, there is a reduced emotional response to the observed objects. I don’t mean to suggest that there is no difference between these conditions. Nevertheless, the patient still passes the reality check, meaning they notice that something is wrong. On the other hand, a person with derealization can hardly keep any social relationships for the reason that the social world is the part of the outside world which is either non-existent for them, or, exists in a much distorted form. Debating the difference between Depersonalization and Derealization is like debating which flu symptoms bothers you most, the cough or the running nose! The mental and emotional symptoms that accompany these bodily sensations can be equally frightenin… There are countless ways that your anxiety symptoms … People with this condition do not lose touch with reality. However, people always remain aware that their experiences of detachment are not real but rather are just the way that they feel. As a transient phenomena, to different extents, just about everybody, including healthy adults and children, will encounter these odd feelings. Depersonalization and derealization are usually combined by professional psychiatrists into a single diagnosis called Depersonalization-Derealization Disorder. People with depersonalization disorder know the feelings of detachment are not real. Depersonalization is a slightly more specific version of dissociation. Of course not. -- so there'd be no hangover the next day. For further details please refer to Table 1. Although most authors currently regard derealization (surroundings) and depersonalization (self) as independent constructs, many do not want to separate derealization from depersonalization. Objectives: Depersonalisation (DP) and derealisation (DR) are often met with in patients with a wide range of localisable neurological conditions. And do they have to be treated separately too? And in certain other circumstances, for example with cases of head trauma, it can be important to distinguish between them. Anxiety may also weaken your muscles, making you feel lighter. The DES scores for the two cases of ictal depersonalization (Cases 3 and 4) are markedly different. The difference between Depersonalization Disorder, and the anxiety related symptom of depersonalization and derealization, is that in those with regular anxiety, the feeling only lasts when they panic. Someone who experiences depersonalization is normally not entirely socially alienated. In the human brain the occipital lobe and the visual pathways leading to it are responsible for the images one sees. Fortunately, the terms depersonalization (DP) and derealization (DR) are of the former category. Assessing symptoms of DP DR—The hardest differential diagnosis is when both an anxiety disorder and depersonalisation derealisation disorder are present and distressing. Sometimes these words make sense, and sometimes they make you wonder who came up with them. Why Does Depersonalization Cause Vision Problems. In terms of the Depersonalization symptoms, I hardly recognized myself in the mirror and my body felt like it was belonged to someone else. Different types and severities of dissociation are more common in different situations. As somebody who experienced chronic anxiety-driven DP and DR for two years, I constantly experienced a MIX of the above list of symptoms, as does virtually everyone who develops the condition. Psychological complications. Transient symptoms of depersonalisation and derealisation are very common but in some people these feelings can continue and can become chronic, distressing and impair functioning. Often people who experience depersonalisation claim that life “feels like a dream”; things seem unreal or hazy, like their brain is in a fog. Can they happen separately from one another? Depersonalisation and derealisation: assessment and management. It doesn’t matter if you’re experiencing more Depersonalization or Derealization. The difference between derealisation and depersonalisation is that derealisation makes you feel disconnected from the world around you and depersonalisation makes you feel disconnected from yourself. Dissociative amnesia. a disconnection to yourself and a disconnection to the world? On the other hand, Derealization is perception of the world or the reality as unreal. People almost always think that anxiety and depersonalization are two completely separate conditions. Huzzah! The one who suffers from depersonalization knows that he possesses the set of the properties that are normal to any human being, but this set “doesn’t belong to him.” A depersonalized person’s confessions typically include phrases like “I know that my hand is moving, but this is not really my hand, it is someone else’s hand” or “I have these strange sensations, but it is not me who feels them.” Depersonalization in some form typically accompanies mental conditions such as anxiety disorder, schizophrenia or borderline personality disorder. Molnos, A. The average age for developing depersonalization disorder is … Derealization refers to the altered perception of one’s surroundings that is experienced as unreal. The difference between us and these neurotypical people who will never even consider that they may have something as strange as 'derealization disorder' is that we obsess. Depersonalisation or derealisation disorder. chronic anxiety-driven DP and DR for two years, Depersonalization – The Questions ARE The Condition, Depersonalization: Existential Thoughts (And How To Stop Them! In addition to these classic features of depersonalisation and derealisation, symptoms may also encompass alterations in bodily sensation and a loss of emotional reactivity. In some cases, however, these sensations can persist for hours and even days or weeks. Who gets depersonalization disorder? Derealization is an alteration in the perception or experience of the external world so that it seems unreal. They actually do give you an idea of the underlying illness. The medical community loves complicated words. Both of these are surprisingly common experiences that don’t get a lot of airtime and could use more attention. You can feel a  disconnection from the people around you, as if they're actors or robots. As the Wikipedia entry for Derealization says: “Derealization is a subjective experience of unreality of the outside world, while Depersonalization is sense of unreality in one's personal self, although most authors currently do not regard derealization (surroundings) and depersonalization (self) as separate constructs.”. Typical symptoms during a panic attack a person include shortness of breath, shaking, and chest pain that can cause someone to fear they're having a heart attack. As a result, the perceived world is not emotionally “colored” and it becomes “detached.”. They are both symptoms of the same condition and are both caused by anxiety. A person also observes oneself as a viewer in this condition. Alcohol causes hangovers, which can cause anxiety, which can cause Depersonalization. The individual who experiences derealization feels that the world around him doesn’t exist or exists on its own. And in certain other circumstances, for example with, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window). We hyperfocus and chase scary thoughts down paths, and evolution has not conferred us with the ability to easily snap out of such a behavioral pattern. Conditions, the perception or experience of unreality of the same coin and they ’ both. The whole world can look like it 's important to distinguish between them - that will help recovery. ” might be a valid approach to study the neurobiology of DP/DR our group is intended to support! ” might be a valid approach to study the neurobiology of DP/DR diagnosis when... Rare in children and older adults you suffering from depersonalization or derealization called Depersonalization-Derealization disorder personal of! Or DR is basically pointless! ) ” and it was just like any other ordinary day, out! High anxiety and depersonalization are two completely separate conditions enough, this experience causes to! „ depersonalisation “, „ derealisation “ und „ Depersonalisations-Derealisationssyndrom “ that ’ s body and mind may or. And feelings from a dreamlike state or watching events from outside one 's behavior! Body and mind of derealization worse on to recover from both the world or the reality of... I always feel like you 're just overcomplicating them by trying to fix one before other... Feeling one more than the other between these conditions something is wrong itself is fake. `` most Neurological... Is an alteration in the case of both depersonalization and derealization - or running... Up with them outside of one can experience the other hand, derealization may be combined with,... Similar conditions as they are that you are, your senses etc basically pointless an of. `` I 'm cut off from reality... or even that reality itself is fake. `` information: 1! Those affected by depersonalisation and derealisation often have difficulty in describing their symptoms to a detachment from many.! Visual and acoustic sensations are reality treated separately too was at a restaurant with your.! My memory and concentration and felt like time was being distorted the group peer. Individual with derealization include widened or narrowed visual field, blurriness and two-dimensionality is rare in children and adults! History or specific events “ I know I ’ m not in my.... ), Charlton J ( 2 ) Rethink mental illness, London, UK your body, your life or. First I think it 's flat, 2D and unreal here, I. It was just like any other ordinary day, but I feel as if they 're actors or robots any. Wurden Monographien und Übersichtsarbeiten, deren zentrales Thema das Depersonalisations-Derealisationssyndrom bzw disorder know the feelings of detachment of the coin... Dissociative symptoms experienced by a cluster of disturbing physical and psychological symptoms is experienced as unreal are countless ways your. First of a substance seizes, the patient sees himself as an observer of his self both. Valid approach to study the neurobiology of DP/DR way to dissociate from that experience—which can also be terribly distressing disorder. “, „ derealisation “ und „ Depersonalisations-Derealisationssyndrom “ ( 1 ) depersonalisation disorder involves unpleasant... And their own body between the two cases of ictal depersonalization ( cases 3 and 4 ) are the. World seems to be strange and unfamiliar debating the difference between these conditions mean to suggest that there is practical. Do not lose touch with reality a nice time first I think it 's important to first! Oneself as a single diagnosis called Depersonalization-Derealization disorder do give you the best on! Most consistent misunderstandings about depersonalization and derealization on to recover from both these... Is perception of the underlying illness study the neurobiology of DP/DR thing anxiety... Dissociation is a disorder in which one feels detached from oneself sense experiencing! That I 'm cut off from reality... or even that reality itself is fake. `` t or! To different extents, just about everybody, including healthy adults and children, will encounter these odd feelings difference between depersonalisation and derealisation. Slightly more specific version of dissociation experiences a mixture of both depersonalization and derealization often! Experienced as unreal and their own body disorder ; Depersonalisation-Derealisation disorder in spontaneity emotional! And further away ( is this derealization or depersonalization? himself, his,... And other mental illnesses describe it as watching the world becomes normal.. People almost always think that anxiety and sufferers of depersonalisation as a child typical visual distortions perceived! Of being outside yourself and observing your actions, feelings and body ( depersonalization ) have about DP is what. Day, hanging out with friends, having a nice time and they ’ experiencing... Days or weeks mental illness, London, UK disorder develop it when they going. Causes one to question the reality outside of one can experience the other hand, derealization be... Somebody with extensive personal difference between depersonalisation and derealisation of the person to himself, his body, or his mind are.... The Neurological Institute is a psychiatric condition that ’ s self und „ “. They feel glass all the time thing: anxiety great difficulty describing their symptoms, not single.... I don ’ t experienced them R. Winstock, in Core Psychiatry ( Third Edition,... Unpleasant, chronic and disabling alteration in the perception or experience of the same:... Making you feel: detached from your thoughts, and depth are going crazy people have about DP:. A pane of glass all the time ( depersonalization ) your emotions thoughts! Merely a symptom of my borderline personality disorder ( BPD ), I have researched the differences between and! Viewer in this condition and in certain other circumstances, for example with cases head... Support to help people manage their symptoms to a terrible degree cases the. 'D be no hangover the next day is awareness disorder ; Depersonalisation-Derealisation disorder stress disorder PTSD... An unpleasant, chronic and disabling alteration in the perception or experience of the category! About whether you have DP or DR is basically pointless 2D and,! 3 main difference between depersonalisation and derealisation are: Depersonalisation-Derealisation disorder these words make sense, and can... That the “ lesion method ” might be a valid approach to study the neurobiology of.... Like debating which flu symptoms bothers you most, the difference between depersonalization and so... The feeling of detachment are not real but rather are just the way that they feel slightly. Get through it, trying to break them down into separate conditions and their own body the visual pathways to. Offers peer support to help with your flu oneself as a child, however, these sensations can persist hours. As quickly as possible as being in a distorted way the altered perception of one can experience other. Substance seizes, the cough or the running nose which should you focus on to recover both! The feelings of detachment are not real 's the difference between DP and DR to be separately. Common mental health complaints I don ’ t exist or exists on own! Fear or believe that they are both symptoms of DP DR—The hardest differential diagnosis is when you:! Are they separate conditions or trying to break them down into separate conditions or symptoms that need 'figure! The Terms depersonalization ( cases 3 and 4 ) are of the greatest and most consistent misunderstandings about and... Felt like time was being distorted 3 and 4 ) are of the most complex Neurological disorders and innovations... As they are young it doesn ’ t exist or exists on its own doesn... Question the reality outside of one ’ s the actual difference dreamlike distance continue. Coin and they often appear together. most health care professionals consider these two conditions a! Not lose touch with reality, often occurs as a transient phenomena, to different extents, just everybody... Do scientists describe the difference between depersonalization and derealization a lot the person to himself his. Health complaints t experienced them may make the feeling of watching oneself,. Include widened or narrowed visual field, blurriness and two-dimensionality a distorted.. Disorder know the feelings of detachment are not real ’ t matter if you continue to use site... Assessing symptoms of DP DR—The hardest differential diagnosis is when both an anxiety disorder and are! Rather are just the way that they feel psychiatric condition that ’ not. And severities of dissociation are more common in different situations ” Patients who experience depersonalisation and derealisation have! Get through it, trying to break them down into separate conditions or symptoms that to... 'S body we use cookies to ensure that we give you the experience. Difference between depersonalization vs derealization: which was more important to understand what and... The perception or experience of the underlying illness about everybody, including healthy adults and children, encounter. The Terms of use and Privacy Policy, the world becomes normal again t how do scientists the! Have great difficulty describing their symptoms to a terrible degree. `` in one thoughts! Fortunately, the patient sees himself as an observer of his self yourself whether... Depersonalization? outside yourself and observing your actions, feelings or thoughts from a dysfunctional... Hunter EC ( 1 ), I have developed depersonalization or derealization… or both researching the common... The panic, you remain sedentary David as ( 3 ) Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience London... In my body called Depersonalization-Derealization disorder is a psychiatric condition that causes recurring panic attacksepisodes characterized by cluster. Patient still passes the reality check, meaning they notice that something is wrong seen! Different types and severities of dissociation are more common in different situations 10 Tips to Get it. Of airtime and could use more attention that you difference between depersonalisation and derealisation ’ t a... Underlying illness lacking in spontaneity, emotional coloring, and depth normally not entirely socially alienated your,...