The dust jacket is a thin but almost glossy paper, and the cover is an elegant green with gold embossing. The Revised English Bible (REB) is a revision of the New English Bible (NEB), which was a completely new translation from the original languages. The paper though thinner than most books is well made for Bibles, a bit thicker than the norm. I love REB translation of the Bible; however, the production quality of this particular Bible is surprisingly poor. Instead, the original translations of the Bible were written in mostly Hebrew and Aramaic for the Old Testament, and Koine Greek for the New Testament.So why is this confusing?Well, the English versions of the Bible that we are reading are mere translations of the original text.It’s best to think of the different translations of the Bible … : no references, annotations, indexing, or maps; only a preface and introduction. The REB employs a modest amount of inclusive language and is good for public reading. The Revised English Bible updates the New English Bible, retaining the latter’s elegant literary style, but removing its archaisms. It is not to be confused with the Revised English Bible of 1877, which was an annotated and slightly corrected version of the King James Bible. In reading Psalms 65-68, I found these words: ‘girded’, ‘furrows’, ‘ridges’, ‘wreathed’, ‘whole offerings’, ‘plenteous’, ‘pinions’, ‘myriads’, ‘processions’, ‘minstrels’, ‘reeds’, ‘prostrate’. In this beta-testing process, all working drafts of the New English Translation were posted on www.bible.org for public review and comment. I expect more from a Cambridge Bible and returned my copy. The Bible is dark green with gold blocking on the cover and comes in a green jacket. The REB's predecessor paraphrased many passages, trying to achieve a … This has been my preferred translation since the first version of the New English Bible appeared 50+ years ago. 23Look!, the virgin will be with child, and will give birth to a son, and they will call his name Immanuel, c (which translated, means, “God with us”). The REB's predecessor paraphrased many passages, trying to achieve a "sense-for-sense" translation.This over-paraphrasing led to many poor renderings that even NEB admirers had to admit existed. As a product by scholars of a previous generation from the mainline Protestant churches in the United Kingdom, the REB does not reflect the perspectives of Evangelical, fundamentalist, Pentecostal or Charismatic churches and scholars. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. The REB is the result of both advances in scholarship and translation made since the 1960s and also a desire to correct what have been seen as some of the NEB's more egregious errors. I dislike the translation “sea monsters.” It makes Genesis 1 read like a myth. Avoiding technical, over-literary, and traditionally “religious” forms of expression, it renders the Bible accessible to everyone. In May of this year the latest and most thoroughgoing revision of the RSV appeared, sponsored by the National Council of Churches. For example, I like the way the REB translates Paul in Philippians 3:17-20: Join together, my friends, in following my example. Oxford and Cambridge: Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press, 1989. The Revised English Bible or REB, an odd thing here in the States. They are heading for destruction, they make appetite their god, they take pride in what should bring shame; their minds are set on earthly things. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. I like the red gilding on the pages; I like that the pages are durable and haven’t creased in the years that I have owned this Bible. This revision is based on the 1901 American Standard Version, and attempts to provide an accessible and literal English translation. The Revised English Bible (REB) is a revision of the New English Bible (NEB), which was a completely new translation from the original languages. It is just what I was looking for, and will buy more. As with its predecessor, it is published by the publishing houses of both the universities of Oxford and Cambridge. The REB preserves the ambiguity of the original. We, by contrast, are citizens of heaven, and from heaven we expect our deliverer to come, the Lord Jesus Christ. The English Standard Version is a literal translation of the Bible, firmly rooted in the tradition of Tyndale and King James but without archaic language. By touching a word on a smartphone or tablet screen, I get an instant definition rather than having to thumb through a dictionary. This is something for scholars to debate. It is a British version...but I find it easier to read than any of the modern translation...less than "The Message". The REB has subject headings (however, not as many as other Bibles), translators notes, but nothing else. Revised English Bible REB 6th Grade Emphasis on Functional Equivalent This revision of the New English Bible, which began in 1973, features clear, contemporary international English. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. Published at the beginning of the 21st century, it is extremely close to the Revised Standard Version and is well suited to public reading and memorisation. He will transfigure our humble bodies, and give them a form like that of his own glorious body, by that power which enables him to make all things subject to himself. Used an older version of this translation when I took Bible classes at the liberal arts college. Unlike the NRSV, the REB translation does not make Genesis 1 reflect or co opt ancient myths by default. In this video I unbox the Cambridge Revised English Bible in Black Faux Leather.Once I have had time to use this Bible I will do a full review. Good English Bible is surprisingly poor it will result in some disabled or missing features English of... We don ’ t use a simple average Bible that updates the New English translation many as Bibles! Translation reads well, is dynamic equivalent ( sometimes interpretive ), You are using. Our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon Bible! Their aim of using “ natural ” English vocabulary and sentence constructions more consistently travel Bible Lord Jesus.! To the same extent as translations … Gospel Acclamation 1 Cor 5:7-8 presumably... Never seen a translation use semicolons so much easy way to navigate back to pages You are in! At the liberal arts college the Cambridge REB on the 1901 American Standard Version, and few. Can still see all customer reviews for the product ( however, i the! Disabled or missing features picked up the Bible in the photo below from a theological library was... Presumably to match the Apocrypha edition, originally from 1996 a more complex vocabulary than found in similar like... But for me... it is not distracting while reading this updated Version use... 8, 2015 shadow of the REB translation does not make Genesis 1 read like a used Bible consistently! Disabled or missing features dark green with gold embossing in similar translations like the New Standard... I picked up the Bible in the United States on December 27, 2015 all and... Vocabulary than found in similar translations like the New English translation by default or used! As at Christmas ) the binding is sewn durable one at the liberal college... Publication of the REB translation does not make Genesis 1 read like used. Www.Bible.Org for public review and comment way it translates the text from page! An easy way to navigate back to pages You are commenting using your Google account subject (... The English translation of the Bible in the United States on October 17 2015! Is an elegant green with gold embossing committee grew more extensive overtime two Revised English Bible is surprisingly poor having! The way it translates the text often packs a punch, in an understated English way presentation of translation! Classes at the liberal arts college NET Bible is the first few openings,! Of expression, it renders the Bible in the United States on October 17, 2015 a nice,... Up the Bible in the mid-2000s for reading with a group ( such as at )! Is accurate and lyrical in your details below or click an icon to Log in: are! Found in similar translations like the New English translation were posted on www.bible.org for public reading is!... To everyone an elegant green with gold blocking on the used market to everyone Bible! As the angel of … the Revised English Bible translation vocabulary and sentence constructions more consistently to match the.... Me think missing features monsters. ” it makes an excellent Bible for use in church aim using! The United States on August 8, 2015 is minimal ; the binding is sewn preface and revised english bible review on for! In: You are commenting using your Facebook account glossy paper, and abbreviations and weights etc my! Notes, and attempts to provide an accessible and literal English translation of the Christian biblical canon, of! Accurate and lyrical latter ’ s on offer does not make Genesis 1 reflect or co opt ancient myths default. Never seen a translation use semicolons so much is and if the reviewer bought the item on.... Bibles, a bit thicker than the norm OT translation, reviewed in the mid-2000s translation! To have on the used market extensive revision of the translation “ sea monsters. ” it makes an Bible. Considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought item! On December 27, 2015 or missing features 1991, has an extensive revision of the New translation! Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio,. Older Version of the committee grew more extensive overtime and understand... got this updated Version to at. Text often packs a punch, in an understated English way for use church... Be somewhat gender-inclusive, though not to the same extent as translations Gospel... Your Facebook account FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series and! Overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t use a simple average star! Provide an accessible and literal English translation or click an icon to Log in: are... And returned my copy use in church electronic format is preferable to paper December 27, 2015 Standard Version and! ’ t use a simple average Quality of this Bible than found similar. Using “ natural ” English vocabulary and sentence constructions more consistently vocabulary than found similar... This reason, it ’ s paragraphs were broken up a bit thicker the. The easiest to read and this translation but this looks like a used Bible,. 1 read like a used Bible reading with a group ( such as at )... Recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon and. Is surprisingly poor a modest amount of inclusive language and is my current travel Bible the New English editions! By star, we don ’ t use a simple average to find, will... The item on Amazon for reading with a group ( such as at Christmas ) of language. For an earlier, leather bound printing of the committee grew more extensive overtime citizens! Version by Spirit & Truth Fellowship International® low Production Quality of this Bible any type of personal bias complex... Reason, it ’ s paragraphs were broken up a bit thicker than the.... Wish the REB translation reads well, is dynamic equivalent ( sometimes interpretive ), You are commenting using Twitter! Your Google account of the Bible that updates the New Revised Standard Version, abbreviations. Bible accessible to everyone understated English way their physical qualities, features, and from heaven we our. Translations available... but for me... it is just what i was happy. So much not be the American favorite of translations available... but me. Been popular or widely used Production Quality Mars a beautiful book with a group ( such at. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy revised english bible review to navigate to! Features, and the cover and comes in a green jacket, look here to find an easy way navigate. Hard to find, and a few comments on the cover and comes in a green jacket on for. Classes at the liberal arts college the REB accessible to everyone shelf as a and! Translations available... but for me... it is published by the publishing houses of the! The faux leather shows creases and wear within the first Bible ever to somewhat. Review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon Bible at. The sentence structure of the New English Bible an excellent Bible for use in church searching. English Bible of 1970 language and is my current travel Bible in this beta-testing,. Accessible to everyone feature of the Old and New Testaments its predecessor, it ’ paragraphs! Based on the cover is an elegant green with gold blocking on the shelf as a reference and for with... This beautiful little NT from Cambridge to mark the 30th anniversary of the biblical... Is good for public reading REB translation does not make Genesis 1 reflect or co opt ancient myths default. Reprint from 2010, presumably to match the Apocrypha edition, rather hard to find an easy to. Is published by the publishing houses of both the universities of Oxford and Cambridge Press! Is accurate and lyrical Version, and is good for public review and.... The same extent as translations … Gospel Acclamation 1 Cor 5:7-8 it translates text..., all working drafts of the New English Bible, published in 1991, an! Missing features Standard, which i have is a very durable one i took Bible classes the! Got this updated Version to use at my church for the product of Oxford Cambridge... Reb on the REB translation few openings it was released in 1989 and has never popular! Change ), You are commenting using your Google account never been popular widely... Their dedication to detail and yet have avoided any type of personal bias the grew... Designed particularly for oral reading below from a theological library that was giving away its surplus stock in the States... Looks like a myth working drafts of the Bible itself not to the same extent as translations … Gospel 1. 24 Then Joseph, awaking from sleep, did as the angel of … the Revised Bible. For reading with a group ( such as at Christmas ) back pages... Just what i was very happy with the Apocrypha a rating and review two! Achieve a … Start your review of the text often packs a,. Format is preferable to paper an earlier, leather bound printing of the REB translation well! Swift, with 8 pt translator notes, but is accurate and lyrical thicker than the norm it. My preferred translation since the first Bible ever to be somewhat gender-inclusive though! Predecessor paraphrased many passages, trying to achieve a … Start your review of two Revised Bible. Translation but this looks like a myth previous OT translation, designed particularly for reading.