Email or call us for purchasing products or livestock. RSVP required. Tunis is a Medium wool suited to many different projects and so is this yarn. Tunis wool is lustrous 24 to 30 microns, long-stapled 4 to 6 inches. Imagine the hair on your head. Email, call or text LindaDee for purchasing products or livestock. Watch. Ethereal theme. More To Explore. Our flock is selected for quality spinning wool, organic survival traits, and personality. Being lazy, I usually opt for method #2. Oct 24, 2018 - There is nothing as relaxing as sitting in front of my spinning wheel for hours. The most popular fine wool breed is the Merino. www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com/2013/12/spinning-tunis-wool.html American Tunis. The issue came out, and the socks that were made with the wool, were amazing :) The article about spinning Tunis wool, was very thorough, and helpful. Drop Spindle Kit for Beginner w/ Fiber Top Whorl Wool Yarn Spinning Handspun Roving WalnutFarmDesigns. Tunis Wool RovingTunis wool is ivory to cream in color.Spinning Count of 54-58's.Works well for handspinning, making dryer balls, or other wool crafts.Professionally sheared. Washed, picked and carded in our small farm mill.We do not coat our sheep, so there is some VM from winter hay feeding, but we do our best to keep our fleeces as clean as possible. A worsted weight, woolen spun, three-ply has great stitch definition. Thanks to these retail partners, whose collaborative fund-raising programs help to support our mission, and our communities. COLLECTION. We are currently looking for high resolution pictures of any of the breeds. Our mill produces a wide variety of wool blend rovings for hand spinning. Ha ha, even the word slub doesn't sound so good... LOL You are funny. 5 out of 5 stars (2,098) 2,098 ... 1 lb, White, Unwashed, Unprocessed, for Spinning, Yarn, Felting, Fiber Crafts, Tunis, Dorset/Suffolk/Tunis, Vermont FireFlyFarmStudio. compiled and prepared by . A worsted weight, woolen spun, three-ply has great stitch definition. From shop WalnutFarmDesigns. Please mail your original copies with our email form Tunis wool is considered to be a down fiber which produces pliable and soft yarns. We stock raw fleece and processed r oving and top from a wide variety of breeds and we normally have more than 50 distinct breeds in stock at any time. Wool Roving Fiber Top 6 lbs GRAB BAG BULK Spin wool, Felting Wool, Bulk wool. Great sweater yarn (or vests, or ponchos or...)! Color: White. Participants will receive a beginning spinning kit prior to the course date (local pick-up or by mail) which includes a wooden Ashford drop spindle with hook, lead yarn, and 5 oz of washed and milled American Tunis wool from Slough Farm's very own heritage flock. Please provide a description of this breed as well Project initiated April, 1994 - Initial web site opened February 22, 1995. Micron count is in the range of 25 to 30, with a staple length around 4 to 6 inches. Tunis is a rather bouncy fibre that can be spun woolen or worsted. Tunis wool is favored by hand spinners for its varied shades of cream, ivory, and off-white, as well as its lustrous, bouncy 24-30 micron diameter fiber. Mar 20, 2014 - I promised more on tunis sheep (you know you want to know!) I have divided them into categories: Fine, Medium, Down, Long, and Dual (Primitive) fleece qualities. I’ve been wanting to do a breed study like this for a long time! The staple is longer than Merino and therefore it’s easier to spin. The wool spinning station was in the gym, which didn’t have good air conditioning….or didn’t have any. One hair by itself can’t hold up to much pulling. Ewes shear a fleece weighing around 6 pounds, a portion of which is removed by skirting. so here it is. For the week of January 1, Spinner’s Choice, I chose to use Tunis. You can wash the fiber and then spin it or spin it raw and then wash the yarn afterwards. The Spinner's Book of Fleece: A Breed-by-Breed Guide to Choosing and Spinning the Perfect Fiber for Every Purpose - Kindle edition by Smith, Beth, Robson, Deborah. The softest wool from a sheep is called fine wool. I’ve been wanting to do a breed study like this for a long time! The following sites offer breed specific yarns. Here’s another way that this spinning project is changing my fiber brain. Especially good for cables, choose it for warm hats, mittens, cowls and scarves. Tunis lambs are born red and turn white bodied as they grow but the head and legs keep the red coloring. Thank you. We primarily use a three way blend of alpaca for it’s softness and “bloom;” a medium staplewool such as Cormo, Polypay, or Corriedale for memory and elasticity, and a long wool such as Borderleister, Tunis, or BFL (Blue Faced Leister) for ease of spinning. Powered by, Stuffed Peppers in the Electric Pressure Cooker, Venison Roast Recipe using Electric Pressure Cooker. Hug B. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading The Spinner's Book of Fleece: A Breed-by-Breed Guide to Choosing and Spinning … What sheep has the softest wool? Ewes generally produce a fleece weighing 8-10 pounds and a ram’s fleece will weigh 12-15 pounds with a 56 to 58 spinning count wool. --> Isn't she sweet?Just found you ~ love the woolies.SmilesJoeyLeahttp://www.thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/, I like your teacher :) I make a lot of "artistic yarn" :), "Art Yarn" is the best! Fleeces are skirted with heavily contaminated areas discarded. Information on adding new breeds or updating existing information. Down wools (like Tunis, ... You can describe the fineness or texture of your wool by micron count or spinning/Bradford count, or simply by the terms – fine, medium or coarse. There is no part of its body uncovered. I decided to write a blog post every week as a more in-depth record of each breed that I spin. From shop FireFlyFarmStudio.