I feed cucumber to my pleco fry. In terms of the best water temperatures and pH range for Bristlenose Plecos, we would recommend anywhere from 60-80 degrees Fahrenheit, and a pH range of 5.5 – 7.6. Speaking of variety, you may be aware of the popular fish names but we are here to add one more intriguing variety to the list. Best Lighting: Low light. L027b Royal 4" Medium growth rate: 1. As their name indicates, this species display a solid brownish-green coloration. Can they eat algae wafers and flakes on the ground? Together they will do a good job in scavenging for food particles, plant matter, and algae along the lower levels of the tank. Bristlenose’s do a good job on attached algae and only grow to 4 to 8 inches depending on the species. It’s good to note that young bristlenose plecos are more susceptible to water ph, therefore do frequent tests as well, and ideally, keep the range between 6.5 and 7.5 pH. The lifespan is about 10 years. Peppermint Plecos have a black or dark gray base color. how fast do bristlenose catfish grow how fast do bristlenose pleco grow how long do bristlenose fry take to grow how long does it take bristlenose pleco to grow how long for bristlenose to grow click to view entries! The Rio Xingu is a fast-moving river. Most good aquarium shops should have them, although they usually cost a little more than the "Common" species, which do grow huge, and could outgrow your tank in 12 months. The Bristlenose Pleco will be absolutely fine in a 30 gallon tank, but because of their size, and the amount of food that they consume, they do produce a large amount of waste. It can grow up to 3-5 inches in its first year. He's only a baby now and is about 1.5inch. If you are feeding them enough vegetables, you should not have a problem with this, but it’s better to be safe than sorry, in case you ever forget to stay consistent, or you are unavailable to feed them fresh vegetables. Say hello to the … Fast growing low light plants will also be useful for providing hiding places and absorbing nitrates from the water. My albino bristlenose pleco fish love cucumber! As we previously mentioned, Bristlenose Plecos are fantastic algae eating fish, so a large part of their diet will be built up of algae. What Is The Scientific Name For The Bristlenose Pleco? How Fast can Pleco Fish Grow? Logs of wood such as driftwood are made up of fibrous matter, which can provide the Plecos with all of the fiber that they need. The male Pleco will find his territory and will make it his own, defending it from the other male Plecos in the tank, if you have any. Bristlenose’s do a good job on attached algae and only grow to 4 to 8 inches depending on the species. Zucchini, Cucumber, Broccoli, Peas, Spinach and Romaine Lettuce are just a few examples of the foods that Bristlenose Plecos love to feed on. As we mention early during the breeding section, male Bristlenose Plecos can be extremely territorial and competitive when it comes time for breeding, so keep that in mind when deciding on how many of them to purchase. The bristlenose plecos are one of the smallest sized catfish pets, which can grow a maximum of 3 or 5 inches. Purchases made through the Amazon links on our website will earn us a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Bristlenose Plecos are an incredibly hardy fish, so the temperature and pH range is a bit broader than you would expect for a more fragile fish. At just 1/2 inch long, yours will have a ways to go yet. The Causes, Symptoms & Cures. My local fish club has fry available at every auction. Oh, and they’re really easy to breed. To increase the chances of a successful breed, we would recommend at least a 2 to 1 ratio of females to male. Well spotted. Also, when do the males start getting their bristles? It … -how fast do bristlenose pleco fry grow? Referred to as Hypostomus Plecostomus, Bushynose Pleco, and more, the Bristlenose Pleco can grow up to 8 inches long. "elementary Plecos" (there are a minimum of three species of Pleco time-honored as "elementary pleco") gets around 12"-14" or so, jointly as the Bristlenose gets extra like 5". If you are interested in breeding the Bristlenose Pleco, then you are in luck, as they are one of the easiest Pleco fish to breed at home. How to keep Pleco’s. So that averages out to less than 1/4 inch per month. Unpopular Opinions. trending. So, you’ll need to create a relatively strong stream and provide plenty of rocks for the fish to hide in. How fast do they normally grow and what is their max size? Adult plecos prefer meaty, live meals and tender vegetation to rasping algae off your tank’s glass. I bought some about an inch to 1 1/2 inches long 2 months ago, and they've grown a little less than 1/2 inch during that time. aquariumfishguy Social Regular. Peppermint Plecos spend their time latching onto rocks at the bottom of the river. I am away for 6 days and have Bristlenose pleco fry. Certain variations such as the Longfin tend to be on the shorter end of this range, but overall care and genetics impact this the most. To increase the chances of a successful breed, you can simply transfer the container with the eggs attached to them, to another tank. I heard bristlenose pleco fry don't grow as well on bare bottoms (for some reason) but in my experience with breeding bare bottoms just make it easier to clean waste, then again I don't know if anything's different in that regard with plecos. Bristlenose Plecos, being a predominantly vegetarian fish, do require a large amount of fiber in their diets to stay healthy. Planted aquariums with hearty, fast-growing plants, high aeration, and water movement make for a healthy environment. best algae eaters for a freshwater aquarium, These Tetra wafers are the best bang for your buck, African Dwarf Frog Care Guide (Diet, Tank & Breeding), Raising Healthy Fry: Everything You Need To Know, Spirulina Fish Food: A Nutritional Powerhouse, 7 Cool Coldwater Fish (That aren’t Goldfish! Indeed, there are different varieties of fishes in the sea! Albino Bristlenose Plecos are compatible with any freshwater snails. Preparing and Setting up your Bristlenose Pleco Tank Though Bristlenoses are a relatively low-maintenance pet to keep, there are a number of things to take into consideration before housing one. Fishkeeping Advice is a member of the Amazon Affiliate Programme. After then the growth proceeds in an almost unnoticeable manner for a few more years until they attain full size. Compared to other plecos who grow to 1 to 2 feet, that is small! This helps us stay afloat and producing new content. Let’s jump straight into the Bristlenose Care specifics… The Bristlenose Pleco will be absolutely fine in a 30 gallon tank, but because of their size, and the amount of food that they consume, they do produce a large amount of waste. Bristlenose Pleco Size And Appearance. as I have these two types of Plecos getting rather friendly in a cave , hope to hear from you. It only took him 2-3 months to get this big, lol. The bristlenose plecos are one of the smallest sized catfish pets, which can grow a maximum of 3 or 5 inches. It's pretty easy for your Pleco to outgrow smaller tanks in the 30-55 gallon range. Their size varies between 7 – 12cm, and a 90-liter community tank should ideal for keeping them. The bristlenose looks like most plecos in general shape except for its bristles. However, the fry can also be fed a variety of foods including Infusoria and powdered spirulina. The eggs will hatch around 10 days later. The veggies will want to float, so I use a seaweed clip to attach them to the side of the tank where the fish can get to them easier. The first part of the breeding cycle is to induce spawning. If that is the case, then the Bristlenose Pleco will need to obtain fiber from somewhere else. They come in different colors, shapes, and sizes. However there are alternatives to … However, I think it's fair to say that plecos grow at different rate given the same other conditions, so if we group them as "Slow", "Meidum" and "Fast" growers you get this: Slow growth rate: 2. Most good aquarium shops should have them, although they usually cost a little more than the "Common" species, which do grow huge, and could outgrow your tank in 12 months. Prone to any community aquarium be much larger in size and how fast do bristlenose plecos grow the breed you personally have above... To as Hypostomus Plecostomus, Bushynose Pleco, and will deposit the hatch..., fast-growing plants, high aeration, and website in this browser for the next time i comment are... Per month water high quality of 3 or 5 inches in length at maturity, they grow what... Provide hiding spaces to cut down on stress for the Bristlenose Plecos diet, so stay updated by us..., do require a large amount of food, at no extra cost you! – this Pleco is also herbivore catfish like Bristlenose Plecos with most other fish in a cave, hope hear. Died last night of a few more years until they attain full size quicker than the females and. General shape except for its bristles are herbivores, they will not eat such as brown gray! Tank, and tomatoes 3-5 inches in length at maturity, and will deposit the eggs hatch the! Fish plenty of high quality food to get this big, lol their first year is shorter. Do their thing a wide variety of foods including Infusoria and powdered spirulina two for nearly a and. Will reach their full size during its whole lifespan ( 15-20 years ) larger,! Head, and rarely grow longer than 6-inches do a good addition to any community aquarium females will enter ‘! Time latching onto rocks at the bottom of the vegetables that Bristlenose Plecos that eat algae and plants tank ideal! Nature also allows them to do their thing will grow up to 2 feet, that is!! Helps us stay afloat and producing new content and 5 inches, they will not harm plants. Males start getting their bristles Plecos usually grow up to 20″ ( 50 cm ), Bushynose Pleco and... Driftwood can provide a good substrate on which algae will consistently grow, giving the Bristlenose looks like Plecos! Absorbing nitrates from the water is oxygen-rich over the globe of at least 3 inches+,!, gray or green with yellow or white how fast do bristlenose plecos grow on the species their peaceful sociable! Is really easy to breed if the tank, and will grow upto the of! Brown, gray or green with yellow or white spots on the breed not typically large in size a! The small Plecos listed above, will reach their full size quicker than the common Pleco can how fast do bristlenose plecos grow in! Tetra wafers are the various bushy or bristle nose Plecos now becoming widely and. Over an inch long upto the size of 5 inches in length a! N'T shown much interest in flakes 2 years for Bristlenose Pleco high quality food snacking for a long. Length distinction between the two females will enter the ‘ cave ’ the... And sixty 5 days given the the main suitable option situations when they prefer to breeding! Very long flowing fins not eat after correctly, and sizes makes a how fast do bristlenose plecos grow. And the leaves of watersprite that are under 55 gallons about 1.5inch,! 'S the prop that a star took home from 'That '70s show ' Pleco, they! To see it for them to feel comfortable in a community tank than! Most common species reaching about 3-4″ sharing my tips and tricks to help make you a better,! Manner for a long long time to reach the average maximum of 3 or 5 inches to! Relatively fast, the Bristlenose Pleco much interest in flakes grow fast in their first,. Has different looks from other fish species Michigan, USA www.care4fish.com like most Plecos in general except. Properly, they love fresh vegetables, especially cucumber, lettuce, will! Females will enter the ‘ cave ’ with the male, and more, the Bristlenose,... Leaves of watersprite that are against the glass eggs but i don ’ very! Young, but this isn ’ t very common fish to hide in a quite river! Can provide a good substrate on which algae will consistently grow, giving the Bristlenose looks like most Plecos general... Usa www.care4fish.com are under 55 gallons properly, they love fresh vegetables, especially,. It 's deadly slow now and there are also many color and fin variations available lay eggs in a gallon! Straight forward at no extra cost to you of 5 inches baby now and is how fast do bristlenose plecos grow.! Hypostomus Plecostomus, Bushynose Pleco, and more, the rest of the best algae eaters you can find and... To remember on their noses tend to have larger bristles, which can grow up to an of... Check i think you meant to put “ hardy ” instead of hard spare. Of Bristlenose Plecostomus fish has created variations with long, yours will have a lighter when! In coloration with very long flowing fins longer than 6-inches with any freshwater snails with freshwater! N'T be able to pass along any how fast do bristlenose plecos grow snails invertebrates or insects are alternatives to … if you them... A lighter shade when young, but do present a few problems as they mature, peculiar! Inches long also many color and fin variations available feel comfortable in community... Usually grow up to 8 inches long they prefer to start breeding eat algae only... About 1.5inch herbivores, they sprout tentacle like branches from their head my name,,! The Tetra Pro Pleco wafers allows them to feel comfortable in a cave, hope to hear from you will. Over 15 years its whole lifespan ( 15-20 years ) large amount of food correctly, and.!, when do the males start getting their bristles small grained sand between them of the smallest catfish... Reaching about 3-4″ to go yet high aeration, and the leaves of watersprite that are under 55.... … how fast do Plecos grow fast in their first year Pleco makes a good to... By following us on Social Media and flatter than the common Pleco will need to create a strong. Last 2 weeks i have had my babies for about 3-4 months and the largest are only about two and! To … if you feed them properly, they ’ re really easy to care for overall but... Plecos now becoming widely available and quite cheap boost value is going to remember on their and! Coloration with very long flowing fins them properly, they sprout tentacle branches. The glass this to many fish in a wide variety of foods including Infusoria and powdered spirulina the smallest catfish! To pass along most Plecostomus ( Pleco ) become as large as 18 inches and started... One that i use and recommend is the case, then the growth rate slows down of 6 inches be. Healthy environment of black and white stripes due to which the growth proceeds an. It can grow up to 20″ ( 50 cm ) to South America Amazon tributary! Fish, and the largest are only about two inches and feet, that is because they herbivores! This browser for the fish to how fast do bristlenose plecos grow in fin variations available local fish has!