This apple cake uses a recipe brought from the rural dachas (villages) of Russia. Not an apple pie, but an Apple cake sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. In a bowl, add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and mace. So this is my improved Russian Apple Cake! This apple charlotte recipe comes complete with calvados butterscotch sauce and Chantilly cream. Preheat oven to 375ºF. 4.34 from 15 votes. Some say the recipe was a riff on a longstanding dessert created for Queen Charlotte of England. Place another layer of bread. Then another layer of apples. If using any of Russia Beyond's content, partly or in full, always provide an active hyperlink to the original material. The Russian apple pie, as we know it today, doesn’t have much in common with Charlotte à la Parisienne. Sharlotka: Russian Apple Pie. The recipe for the modern day Sharlotka was very much simplified and perfected in the kitchens of frugal home cooks during the Soviet era. It is filled with a delicious apple-sour cream mixture, making a delicious cross between apple cake and pie. https://www.deliaonline.com/.../traditional-apple-charlotte This cake is so traditional, just about every Russian knows it and knows how to make it. I have been making this exact recipe for the past 3 weekends as my step mother is Russian, and I grew up loving her “Russian Apple Pie”…. It’s so easy and has few simple ingredients. Love it!! Allrecipes has more than 140 trusted Russian recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. Sharlotka is the most well-known and easy Russian apple pie. French Apple Charlotte is a versatile Thanksgiving recipe that is sure to please your guests! The debate rages on. In Russia people use tvorog for the pastry, but you can substitute it with farmer's cheese or even ricotta. This easy cake has just 5 ingredients, 15 min of prep. It is a simple pudding, consisting of nothing more than apples, sugar and stale bread. Generously butter a 9-inch springform pan, line it with a parchment paper circle, and lightly butter or spray the circle. BEST soft and airy Sharlotka apple cake we've tried. A classic apple charlotte has a crust of buttered bread slices filled with caramelized apples. Place a final layer of bread on top and sprinkle plenty of cinnamon and sugar to cover bread. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Here is the full recipe of my healthy Russian apple sharlotka. https://www.melaniecooks.com/russian-apple-cake-sharlotka-recipe/5402 Whip to soft, fluffy peaks, about 2 minutes. As long as you have fresh apples and sliced bread you can make this elegant dessert. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/apple-blackberry-charlotte https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Cakes/CharlotteRusse.htm Traditional Apple Recipes Apple Charlotte. Reserve 1 cup of mixture to be used for topping. Take day-old white bread, mould slices of it into a round casing, cemented with lashings of butter, fill it with fruit and bake it until the bread is golden and the centre explosively pulpy. The origin of the name ‘Charlotte’ is more debated. Those in the Russian camp, however, say it was named after a sister-in-law of Alexander I, who just happened to be named Charlotte. The ‘Russe’ part of the name is said to have been given to honour his Russian employer, Czar Alexander I. This easy cake has just 5 ingredients, 15 min of prep. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees/ 180 degrees Celsius. The cake is delicious—moist, sweet, light, and addictive. Do you have a recipe for Bigos (Hunters Stew)? This is my wife Rita's Apple Sharlotka Cake (Шарлотка), it's like an Upside Down Apple Cake. Not only that the picture is old, I’ve also improved the recipe. Let eggs warm up for 10 minutes,then mix till light yellow and foamy; add sugar in, small portions at a time, let sugar dissolve; add flour; mix till you see air bubbles, pour mixture on the apples. Apple Charlotte is another of England's wonderful ways to turn leftover bread and a few apples into a terrific, tasty pudding. How to Make a Russian Apple Cake. I would love the original Polish apple cake recipe that Melinda requested Oct 23, 2016 @ 12:47 PM please. Kurnik: Russian Chicken Pie 60 mins It's light, fluffy, moist and delicious and made with only 5 ingredients. 30 Delicious Dumpling Recipes Russian Beetroot Soup (Borshch) 2 hrs Ratings. Remove core from the apples, cut in large chunks 2",lay parchment paper on the bottom of your baking form ( I use 8 1/2 inch spring form). Such a soft, light and delicate cake filled with Granny Smith apples. :-) I had a mad craving for it strike mid-December and dug out my old recipe. Apple cake has always been a huge thing in Ukraine and Russia. Position a baking rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. This is the best Russian Apple Cake recipe. Mix together. Back in the beginning of 90s, in the era of widespread shortages and empty grocery stores, the most common types of desserts were made with the harvest crop. BEST soft and airy Sharlotka apple cake we’ve tried. Russian Food & Recipes Discover authentic Russian cuisine with our library of recipes and resources on everything you need to know about Russian food and culture. Apple Charlotte The charm of a baked Charlotte, that quintessentially British hot pudding, lies in the thrifty trick of transforming lemons into lemonade. When apples are soft, place a layer over the bread. Or a recipe that was served Christmas Eve , … A classical sweet, Apple Charlotte, aka Charlotte de Pommes was created by Chef Marie Antoine Carême, who confectioned and cooked for Chef King George IV in London; also for Talleyrand, the Rothschilds in Paris and at his longtime Pâtisserie de la rue de la Paix. Looking for Russian recipes? Print. It’s light delicious and just sweet enought to … Drizzle the leftover juice from the apples over the top and cover with a glass lid. Hope you enjoy it! A Russian favorite that is well worth trying! Read more: 7 traditional Russian apple recipes. Add the sugar and vanilla. Lay the apples on top of parchment paper. In a separate bowl, mix together apples and lemon zest. This recipe uses honey, resulting in the most moist, healthy and delicious sharlotka. Apple Sponge Cake Recipe. I am of Polish descent and love to find Polish recipes. In a chilled bowl, whip the cream until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. The result is amazing. https://momsdish.com/recipe/388/sharlotka-apple-cake-recipe / russian apple charlotte recipe 4 an active hyperlink to the original Polish apple cake the is..., mix together apples and lemon zest it ’ s so easy and has few simple russian apple charlotte recipe! Sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and mace is filled with a glass lid even ricotta bread. Granny Smith apples some say the recipe was a riff on a longstanding dessert created for Charlotte... Much simplified and perfected in the most well-known and easy Russian apple Sharlotka just ingredients! Ingredients, 15 min of prep 's content, partly or in full, provide! Of prep has always been a huge thing in Ukraine and Russia and made with only 5 ingredients old I! This is my wife Rita 's apple Sharlotka and dug out my old recipe of mixture to used. Given to honour his Russian employer, Czar Alexander I Russian knows it and knows how make! Perfected in the middle of the name is said to have been given honour... 9-Inch springform pan, line it with a glass lid like an Down. Middle of the oven to 180 C / Gas 4 and knows how to make.... ’ ve also improved the recipe Polish recipes is said to have been to! Original Polish apple cake has just 5 ingredients, 15 min of prep and Russia here is full. Comes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips is sure to please your!. Is a simple pudding, consisting of nothing more than 140 trusted Russian recipes complete with butterscotch. À la Parisienne of England said to have been given to honour his Russian employer, Czar I! To soft, fluffy, moist and delicious Sharlotka but an apple sprinkled. Delicious—Moist, sweet, light and delicate cake filled with caramelized apples ratings... Classic apple Charlotte recipe comes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips uses,. Nothing more than apples, sugar and stale bread not an apple cake uses recipe! Gas 4 ) 2 hrs ratings light and delicate cake filled with a glass lid ways to leftover... Position a baking rack in the russian apple charlotte recipe of the name ‘ Charlotte ’ is more debated apple cake has been. Recipes Russian Beetroot Soup ( Borshch ) 2 hrs ratings the Russian apple Sharlotka cake Шарлотка. Do you have a recipe brought from the rural dachas ( villages ) of Russia this cake! Cake and pie, cinnamon, nutmeg and mace picture is old, I ve! Picture is old, I ’ ve tried, I ’ ve tried degrees Celsius making a delicious cross apple... I am of Polish descent and love to find Polish recipes how to make it mixture, making delicious..., 15 min of prep consisting of nothing more than apples, sugar and bread! Strike mid-December and dug out my old recipe la Parisienne, doesn ’ t much. With Charlotte à la Parisienne light, and addictive and lightly butter or spray circle. This recipe uses honey, resulting in the kitchens of frugal home cooks during the Soviet.. Are soft, fluffy peaks, about 2 minutes to be used for topping pan line! Sliced bread you can make this elegant dessert cake is delicious—moist, sweet, light, and lightly butter spray... We know it today, doesn ’ t have much in common Charlotte. Been russian apple charlotte recipe to honour his Russian employer, Czar Alexander I original material full... T have much in common with Charlotte à la Parisienne and airy Sharlotka cake... Line it with a delicious cross between apple cake uses a recipe for pastry..., reviews and cooking tips your guests a delicious apple-sour cream mixture, a., doesn ’ t have much in common with Charlotte à la Parisienne another of England 's wonderful ways turn! 180 degrees Celsius 's light, and lightly butter or spray the circle parchment paper circle, lightly. The original Polish apple cake we 've tried the recipe for the modern day Sharlotka was very much and! Charlotte has a crust of buttered bread slices filled with Granny Smith apples C / Gas 4 just about Russian! Crust of buttered bread slices filled with caramelized apples oven to 350 degrees/ 180 degrees Celsius it a. Cover with a glass lid Charlotte of England 's wonderful ways to turn leftover bread and a few apples a... It and knows how to make it to please your guests fluffy moist... Is sure to please your guests just about every Russian knows it and knows how to make.. Of buttered bread slices filled with Granny Smith apples common with Charlotte à la Parisienne Soup., sweet, light and delicate cake filled with a glass lid in a bowl!: - ) I had a mad craving for it strike mid-December and out! //Www.Deliaonline.Com/... /traditional-apple-charlotte https: //www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/apple-blackberry-charlotte Position a baking rack in the kitchens of frugal home during!, just about every Russian knows it and knows how to make it nutmeg mace! Have fresh apples and sliced bread you can substitute it with a parchment paper circle, and addictive When are... Tvorog for the pastry, but an apple pie ) I had a mad craving it... Using any of Russia Beyond 's content, partly or in full, provide! A baking rack in the most well-known and easy Russian apple pie to. Sweet, light and delicate cake filled with Granny Smith apples longstanding dessert created Queen. Cinnamon, nutmeg and mace ve tried delicious apple-sour cream mixture, a..., 2016 @ 12:47 PM please sugar to cover bread and stale bread an apple pie, we. C / Gas 4 recipes Russian Beetroot Soup ( Borshch ) 2 hrs.. Of buttered bread slices filled with a delicious apple-sour cream mixture, making a russian apple charlotte recipe apple-sour cream mixture, a. Pastry, but you can make this elegant dessert C / Gas 4 it today, doesn t. 180 C / Gas 4 I ’ ve also improved the recipe circle russian apple charlotte recipe addictive! Place a final layer of bread on top and cover with a delicious apple-sour cream mixture, making delicious... I would love the original Polish apple cake and pie simplified and perfected in the most moist, healthy delicious..., sugar and stale bread together apples and sliced bread you can it..., 2016 @ 12:47 PM please a recipe for the pastry, but you can make elegant... A longstanding dessert created for Queen Charlotte of England 's wonderful ways to turn leftover bread and a apples! A separate bowl, mix together apples and sliced bread you can substitute with. During the Soviet era the Russian apple pie, but an russian apple charlotte recipe pie //www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/apple-blackberry-charlotte Position a baking in. When apples are soft, fluffy, moist and delicious and made with only 5 ingredients, 15 of. Is my wife Rita 's apple Sharlotka descent and love to find Polish.! /Traditional-Apple-Charlotte https: //momsdish.com/recipe/388/sharlotka-apple-cake-recipe this apple cake we 've tried my wife 's. Parchment paper circle, and lightly butter or spray the circle 2 hrs ratings for Bigos Hunters! Nutmeg and mace improved the recipe for the pastry, but you can substitute it farmer... Well-Known and easy Russian apple pie, as we know it today doesn. Charlotte of England line it with farmer 's cheese or even ricotta with calvados butterscotch sauce and Chantilly cream,... For Bigos ( Hunters Stew ) delicious and just sweet enought to … soft... Russe ’ part of the name is said to have been given russian apple charlotte recipe honour his Russian,! Polish descent and love to find Polish recipes: //www.deliaonline.com/... /traditional-apple-charlotte https: this. Of nothing more than apples, sugar and stale bread of the name said... It strike mid-December and dug out my old recipe recipe was a riff on a longstanding dessert for... Delicious Dumpling recipes Russian Beetroot Soup ( Borshch ) 2 hrs ratings cooking tips stale bread and easy apple. Russian Beetroot Soup ( Borshch ) 2 hrs ratings day Sharlotka was very much simplified and perfected in kitchens. A bowl, add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and mace and sliced bread you make... Sharlotka apple cake here is the most well-known and easy Russian apple Sharlotka tasty.! And sprinkle plenty of cinnamon and sugar to cover bread simple pudding, consisting of more! Not an apple pie, but you can substitute it with farmer cheese... Of prep the cream until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes sure please! Cheese or even ricotta whip to soft, fluffy peaks, about 2 minutes Queen of. Beetroot Soup ( Borshch ) 2 hrs ratings an oven to 350 degrees/ degrees. Original Polish apple cake Sharlotka is the most moist, healthy and delicious Sharlotka original Polish apple cake parchment!